blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 04:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272924 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Call here?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Call here?  (Read 2387 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 08:59:55 PM »

I'm probably going to show my ignorance now, but I don't understand why you would want to get rid of QJ off suit when you are holding KK?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 09:02:08 PM »

In case the flop gives him a straight, trips, two pair or a flush.  Holding a pocket pair, I can only hit trips and be pretty safe.  If a pair comes on the flop, I could be losing out to trips.  Also, if an ace turns up, with KK I'm probably behind.   Imagine letting a hand like    get in cheaply and then an ace and a 6 turn up on the old flop - disaster!

I'd just rather get my chips in there.  Pocket aces are a bit different to me, but I don't usually slow play them.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:04:34 PM by Silo Graham » Logged

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »

I'm probably going to show my ignorance now, but I don't understand why you would want to get rid of QJ off suit when you are holding KK?

I am with you Claw.

The amount of times i see QJ stack off on a J72 board to my KK is amazing, why on earth do i want him not doing this!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 12:12:15 AM »

Yes, but you would rather play K-K against one opponent and be fairly sure where you stood all hand.

If your raise is small and your oppos know that you do that with monsters (i.e. it is an 'i want action' bet) it is correct for them to call based on implied odds. To put it another way, if someone had called you with a small pocket pair, flopped a set and the ace wasn't on the board. How easy would it have been for you to fold. You probably would have given them your whole stack, so for both the limper and the BB they have 1 - 16 implied odds on a 1 - 7 shot. By increasing your preflop raise by just one BB their implied odds are cut to 1 - 9.66. Hence the correct play pre flop was to raise to 5*BB (250).

The odds of flopping two pair are 1 - 8 i think, hence i used a set as an example.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »

It's actually 49-1, that may explain your rather protective play.

Implied odds are great, reverse implied odds are better!! You never had KK, seen the flop come 622 and got 77 to stack off?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 01:30:43 AM »

Yup and i didn't realise it was 49-1. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:32:56 AM by SupaMonkey » Logged
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 02:06:42 AM »

I'd raise more preflop as well, but not because I want to get hands to fold, just to get them to put more money in the pot, which they are likely to do. If people are willing to put 150 in the pot, then its pretty likely they are gonna apply the fukk it principle and put the extra 100 in there.. and I think the point that Supa is trying to make, is that you would rather make it 200 more and have 2 callers, rather then make it 100 more, and have 4 callers.. as the money going into the pot is the same, but you figure to win the pot much more often against 2 people than 4, and if your stack does get in the middle post-flop, your hand is much more likely to be good vs 2 pre flop callers then vs 4. If that is the point he is trying to make, I would tend to agree

Naturally if you had the choice between 2 callers and 4 callers for 200 a time, you most likely should take the latter, but if its a choice of 200 2 ways or 100 4 ways, you should probably prefer the former, especially if its the case that you are going to get your stack in on any non-ace flop, which is generally the case.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 04:22:29 PM »

Just my opinion but I would reraise.

Make sure they really have the Ace before you fold your beautifull kings.

It's the one thing I actually learned from listening to Phil's little speeches on pokernight..."Ask the question". 9 out of ten people would fold to your re-raise...1 you raised pre-flop....therefore it's not unlikeley you have an Ace. 2 You probably have a half decent kicker...(you don't raise with Ace 4..unless your table image sucks).

they would therefore really need to have the Ace (or a set) or have stones larges then an elephants to either call or raise you.

like I said..just my opinion..but I have found an awfull lot of people fold when I re-raise them in a situation like this.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: