blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Launch of the Amateur Poker Association & Tour (APAT)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Launch of the Amateur Poker Association & Tour (APAT)  (Read 131359 times)
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 03, 2006, 04:29:44 PM »

..but would he enter ??...very unlikely...but if the rules say the odd pro running dry are "let in " good luck to them...sitting on the left of Mickey would be a pleasure Grin
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 03, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »

I don't think that it would be correct to exclude people based on ability level, just because someone is good doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to play.

I don't think there any many criteria that I would find acceptable within how I see the spirit of the organisation. Just because someone is successful doesn't mean they are no more an amateur than any other player. If someone is independantly wealthy and can play more often and higher stakes than someone else, should they be excluded?

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 03, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »

Defining status by winnings/rankings is farcical because of the very nature of tournament poker.

Mickey Wernick is the quintessential poker pro, he won the European rankings, and a lot of ££££s last year. He has been a professional player longer than most of us have been alive.

He had an 18 month period in 2003/2004 when he won nothing and couldn't make a final table.

During that period, he would have been eligible!

I don't think it would be possible to get away from a definition which wasn't in the end self policing and reliant on players own judgement.

This would have made him eligible, but would a player in that position make the implicit admission that he expected his bad spell to last for the next 12 months? Wouldn't he be more interested in rebuilding his poker career in the professional circuit?

But if a pro-fallen-on-lean-times was technically eligible under a tighter definition then they would be allowed to enter. My main emphasis has been my worry about pros and semi-pros sneaking in and dominating, but it's not just about winning. If the occasional pro-fallen-on-lean-times was to enter these amateur tournaments it would add a bit of colour to the proceedings and wouldn't be a wholly bad thing. Especially if they did badly.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: August 03, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »

..but would he enter ??...very unlikely...but if the rules say the odd pro running dry are "let in " good luck to them...sitting on the left of Mickey would be a pleasure Grin

Would he enter? That's not the point.

"Sitting on the left of Mickey would be a pleasure Grin" I couldn't agree more!

Providing "Grass roots" amateurs with a chance to play against some of the top players, in a comp with a good structure would be a great idea.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: August 03, 2006, 04:46:51 PM »

Rob Yong is far far above amateur standard. The money/EPT entry would not be an incentive for him. He seems keen to enter.

ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: August 03, 2006, 04:47:40 PM »

Providing "Grass roots" amateurs with a chance to play against some of the top players, in a comp with a good structure would be a great idea.

As a pro he couldn't enter, have i missed something?

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: August 03, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »

Rob Yong is far far above amateur standard. The money/EPT entry would not be an incentive for him. He seems keen to enter.

He's barred from the Broadway Cheesy

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 03, 2006, 04:49:37 PM »

Defining status by winnings/rankings is farcical because of the very nature of tournament poker.

Mickey Wernick is the quintessential poker pro, he won the European rankings, and a lot of ££££s last year. He has been a professional player longer than most of us have been alive.

He had an 18 month period in 2003/2004 when he won nothing and couldn't make a final table.

During that period, he would have been eligible!

Well if he won nothing in 2003/2004 then he didnt have an income from poker did he!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 03, 2006, 04:50:29 PM »

Im bored of reading about APAT, and it hasnt even started yet LOL LOL

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 03, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »

If eligibility was defined by a limit on tournament winnings in the 12 months prior to the registration of the first event of the season.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 03, 2006, 04:56:54 PM »

Mr Yong is someone who I respect greatly as a business man and as a player. He is precisely the type of player who this definition is needed for. With an ambiguous definition people could argue whether he is an amateur or a semi-pro, with a concrete definiton he is likely to be one of the players who's eligibility would see-saw from year to year as his poker winnings rose and fell.

Although it is slightly incongruous for someone to keep on changing whether they are classed as an amateur or not it would provide a workable compromise between barring very good amateur/semi-pros for good (a bit harsh for them), and allowing a virtual free for all (a bit harsh for the majority of grassroots players).

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: August 03, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »

If eligibility was defined by a limit on tournament winnings in the 12 months prior to the registration of the first event of the season.

He's not an amateur though, he can't be considered by any criteria if they are going to keep the name APAT.

Of course not.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: August 03, 2006, 05:00:11 PM »

Jon, please note. I'm not knocking APAT, I wish you every success. I'm just shaking it too see what falls off.

RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 03, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »

I also think if somebody wins one of the Amateur titles and it comes to light that they won 50k playing poker the previous year the grassroots players would be right to question whether these tournaments were truly aimed at them.

None of your solutions would stop this from happening. At least if the comp is open to all then everyone knows exactly where they stand and no-one feels aggreived.

What would happen if a 'pro' sneaked in under the radar and won an event? The whole thing would become a farce with bad feeling from all sides.

Drawing a distinction between pros and amateurs, and barring the pros is a recipe for disaster.

How can it be run as an 'open' tourney, when it's winner is to be given the title of 'English Amateur Poker Champion'?

It has to be open only to 'amateur' players.

Whether or not a fair and workable method of determining eligibility can be found remains to be seen... but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:22:57 PM by RioRodent » Logged

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: August 03, 2006, 05:23:56 PM »

going back to the structure etc............

when breaking tables ,  will it be the shortstack that moves ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 68 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: