blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Rebuys
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rebuys  (Read 2729 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:01:18 PM »

I don't play many rebuys, but have a few tournaments coming up - and wanted some general advice really.

What sort of strategy should I consider using in your opinion?  I was thinking of playing fairly loose early, hoping to double-up if possible, or rebuy when it goes wrong.  But I guess this turns it into a bit of a lottery. 

Playing tight early isn't going to help much as others double up and then have much larger stacks after the rebuy period is over and I'm playing catch-up.  For me it looks like the right strategy during the rebuy is to accumulate chips, to put you in a good position afterwards - when the play settles down again?

But really I'm guessing...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:04:59 PM »

your general thoughts are right

look to get chips early and therefore you can then go tighter and play sensibly

however...STICK TO YOUR BUDGET...set this before you start and only adjust it slightly according to table conditions

eg there may come a point near the end of the rebuys where it isn't worth you rebuying for the nth time as in doing so you won't have enough chips to damage the big stacks.

If this happens to me, I get up.

Don't play any two though, play hands that can bust big hands, connectors etc...keep a meaure of self respect and discipline!!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ThinkerJE

To be the man, you've got to beat the man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 02:14:21 PM »

I regulary play the $35k guranteed $10 rebuy on Pokerstars and I tend to be super tight for the rebuy period.  I find people chuck the chips in with any old rubbish in these events, so I only enter a pot if I am prepared to still the lot in.  I hope to double up with a premium hand and if this does not happen then reload with a buy in & add on after an hour.  I find there is still time and the structure is good so nothing silly is required.  Alot of players go out very quickly after the end of the rebuys and poker can then be played.  I find these events good value and have had 2 four figure cashes this year (they take a long time though, 6hrs+).  I can see that playing loose during the rebuy period to get chips is also a viable strategy, however you will need to decide how much you are willing to spend on rebuys and get used to be up against 3 or 4 players when you are all in.

Anyway, I am sure the English Amateur Poker Champ has the game to adapt to rebuy comps!!!  Hope you are well Dan, hope to see you at APAT live event 2, wherever & whenever it may be.
JoeStrummer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:17:42 PM »

For what its worth….

The ones that I have attended have been £5.00 rebuys for the first two hours then a add on after this.

The first two hours are manic, all ins left right and centre trying to double up etc

What I do is sit tight and just play premium starting hands and raise to the max and hopefully get a large enough stack to add to after the two hours. If things go wrong you can rebuy, I limit myself to five although I have never actually rebought five, four being the most, and hope to hit again. Keep an eye on the clock towards the end of the rebuy period just in case your very short stacked you can throw in Ace x and hope to double up but you still have time to rebuy if that fails. That scenario would be like, say, all in AJ you fail, rebuy, the clock stops and you add on or double up (potentially more) the rebuys stop and you add on.

After the rebuy period you will notice players dropping like flys (or fish!!!) when the real  tournament begins and I would suggest playing your normal game and if you have played tight and only a few hands, thus managing to progress, your image will be very strong against the players who have seen your showdowns and this will help has the tables diminish.

From there on your on your own. Good luck!!!

“When you’re down on your chips, pick your spot and push. In fact I can’t remember the last time I was behind pre flop when I have done this; unfortunately the rest is up to the gods” A. Mason 2007
JoeStrummer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:24:05 PM »

Of course i am talking about live play. I havent actually played a rebuy on the net.

“When you’re down on your chips, pick your spot and push. In fact I can’t remember the last time I was behind pre flop when I have done this; unfortunately the rest is up to the gods” A. Mason 2007
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »

OK - I get it now. 

I should play loose early.  I should play tight early.

Just like any other poker then really - do what works!

Cheesy

Looks like some sound advice amongst that lot.  Always appreciated.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 02:25:13 PM »

Of course i am talking about live play. I havent actually played a rebuy on the net.

These are live events - so much appreciated.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 02:28:55 PM »

I should play loose early.  I should play tight early.

its a function of the maiac quotient on your table

If you have a load of fish then you can sit back a bit but your big hand might get paid or might get cracked!

If not, make the action

Either way, you've got to hit flops because you can't bully or bluff in the cheap live rebuys

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
roverthtaeh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 02:29:42 PM »

I don't play many rebuys, but have a few tournaments coming up - and wanted some general advice really.

What sort of strategy should I consider using in your opinion?  I was thinking of playing fairly loose early, hoping to double-up if possible, or rebuy when it goes wrong.  But I guess this turns it into a bit of a lottery. 

Playing tight early isn't going to help much as others double up and then have much larger stacks after the rebuy period is over and I'm playing catch-up.  For me it looks like the right strategy during the rebuy is to accumulate chips, to put you in a good position afterwards - when the play settles down again?

But really I'm guessing...

Low stack rebuys - go with the flow of the table
High stack rebuys - play your normal game

I'm no expert, mind you.

When I grow up, I'm gonna be stable.
When I grow up, I'm gonna turn the tables.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »

Just like any other poker then really - do what works!

Cheesy

Thats the one. Play the game the way that best suits your style. Telling someone like Jac Arama to sit there like a rock for the first hour of a rebuy would be pointless advice as playing a style which is isnt used to would probably lead to more mistakes which as a poker player is what costs the most money.

Find a style that best suits your game and go with that - ok so it may take a few tourneys to get used to it but you'll get there in the end thumbs up

sponsored by Fyffes
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 02:37:46 PM »

Hope you are well Dan, hope to see you at APAT live event 2, wherever & whenever it may be.

Cheers - not bad thanks.  Looking forward to the UK APAT event.  Thankfully not a rebuy...

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »

Thanks again guys.  Always people willing to give useful advice on here.   thumbs up

Going on a combination of what everyone's said, I guess it's a case of the monster hands play themselves, otherwise look for a cheap flop and hope I hit it hard.  Otherwise, get out cheap.

Was going to set my limit at 5 rebuys, and hope to be under that if possible.

I've played a few rebuys before, and done well enough to get to the final table, but never in a position to really challenge for first.  Can't really determine if I'm playing them OK or not as it's hardly a statistically significant sample, and I guess I'll just have to play it as it comes.

scared

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 02:57:28 PM »

and I guess I'll just have to play it as it comes.

Thats all you can do - take a basic strategy to the table but allow yourself the flexability to change depending on how the table you are seated on plays.

sponsored by Fyffes
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 03:48:59 PM »

I do the playing cheap approach.  I tend to wait for monsters to double up but if I'm in a good position and I think I can see a cheap flop with a half decent hand, then I'll call.  I tend not to raise with much during the rebuy period.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 04:17:34 PM »

Play the strong starting hands hard. Do no set a limit for rebuy or u are at a massive disadvantage.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: