blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:26:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272616 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Aliases
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aliases  (Read 7837 times)
Harby

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:04:49 PM »

Most sites I have played on you are only allowed one name per account and you are not allowed to change it. I think it is a very good rule as you know who you are playing and what sort of player you are playing against in time. I have been playing mostly WillHill for the last few months and as far as I know they have the same ruling. Betfair which uses the same software let you have as many as you want if you use different cards. There is one lad who plays on it that has got 8 different user names!!. Might sound trivial but I think it gives him a fairly big edge over other players who use the same name day in day out. Like in most things you do in life you know the good and bad players this is taking that little edge away that you have if you have a good memory or take notes.
Am i just being paranoid or do people agree with what I say?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:08:50 PM »

If he uses foul language or cheats/breaks the rules,  how is he disciplined

The older I get, the better I was.
Harby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 12:39:07 PM »

I have not got a clue. All I know is that there are a lot of betfair players who have a minimum of 3 different names. Tell you how funny it is there is one lad who is a very good player who actually talks to himself on the chat.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 12:48:50 PM »

Tht's just plain ridiculous. Surely Betfair don't realise this, or condone it.

We need someone from Betfair to refute this. If it's true, it's just plain daft. By "true", I BELIEVE the story, I mean Betfair can't possibly condone it.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Harby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:54:37 PM »

I spoke to the lad for half an hour and he told me that for each card he registers he can use another alias same name on account. The only way I thought he could do it was having an account at each skin. Thats not the case, there are so many players that have different names, glad im not the only one who gets annoyed by things like this.
M POWER
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 12:56:46 PM »

I brought this up in the WSOP Qualifier "Rivercd" playing at 2 tables and he made it to Vegas.
Told Ruru about it but heard nothing back

Regards

M  

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »

Surely not.......Surely not.

Someone, please tell us this is NOT true.......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 01:08:12 PM »

Might sound trivial but I think it gives him a fairly big edge over other players who use the same name day in day out. Like in most things you do in life you know the good and bad players this is taking that little edge away that you have if you have a good memory or take notes.
Am i just being paranoid or do people agree with what I say?

I dont see how having several different user names gives someone a fairly big edge over the rest of us. Yes i use the note facility on pokerstars regularly but even then i wont use what i've written in previous notes as being gospel as players improve - they their game to bring in different aspects that they may not have used in the past.

It isnt too difficult to pick up how a player plays after they've been at the table for a while so even if person (b) was person (a) yesterday then after an hour or so you can still pick up similar patterns of how they play - its very unlikely that your friend with 8 different account names has a different style of play for all 8!!

People view this in different ways - some people say that if you are a good player then you want to constantly change your account name so that people wont pick up who you are so you can carry on winning consistantly but the way i see it if you are good enough to win on a consistant basis then it doesnt matter whether you change your account name or not - you will still make a profit. There are still enough players out there still willing to play tournaments regardless of whether there are a few good players in there or not.

Even if you are a bad player and you feel that by changing your account name means you will no longer be branded with that label - chances are they will play their new account in exactly the same way as their old one so the label will still return.

Your thoughts about willhill's poker site though is incorrect as when i downloaded their software over the weekend to play the blonde tourney tonight i find i have two poker names. This is because i have two seperate sports betting accounts - one i use my credit card to put bets on and one where i use my debit card and because willhill's poker is linked thru their sports book i find i now have two poker accounts with different account names - though i am only allowed to use one name at any one given time. (and as i will only be using the willhill site to play blonde tourneys you all dont have to worry about me trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes!!)  Wink

sponsored by Fyffes
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 01:09:22 PM »

My flabber has never been so gasted

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:13:04 PM »

I had a converstaion with a high stakes internet player the other day, and he asked me what my alias was ... when i told him, he looked stunned and said why do you give away who you are ??  i replied that i dont play high enough stakes to have to worry about that.  He then went into a long explanation that circuit pro's very rarely use their real identities online as it makes fellow players take more notice of what they are doing, and it makes life much more difficult for them when they play online, with an alias, they can get more moves through and not draw attention ... good point or not ??

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 01:16:45 PM »

I dont care what alias they use, but you shouldn't have several on the same site, too open to abuse

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 01:24:46 PM »

Just because a player is a good "live" player doesnt mean he will be as good playing "online" therefore if he playes using a name so that everyone knows who it is he may actually gain respect from the other people at the table to win a little more than he should.

When i sit at a table of a multi table tourney for all i know i'm sat with 8 world class professionals all using an alias but sitting down with them for an hour i can still tell who the good players are and who the bad ones are - you can soon tell if your at the table with a world class player so the alias doesnt do much good - i may not now his name in real life but i soon know that he can play the game.......

sponsored by Fyffes
Harby

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 01:31:25 PM »

People will play the same regardless of alias. The problem is if you are playing a multi and it takes you an hour to realise player a is really player b you could have lost all your chips by then or lost a chance to win chips.  Why would you want different names if its not to give you an extra edge to win money. Its the only site I know that you can do it on.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 01:35:20 PM »

Is it me?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

I'm just speechless about this, Red!

Worms, opened & can springs to mind, though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: