blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272535 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Decisions on the flop
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Decisions on the flop  (Read 3749 times)
stephanadam

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2007, 01:37:03 AM »

After hitting my dream flop i get re-raised by TAG villain. Was wondering how some of you guys n girls would play the hand and why? Will post what I did and my reasons after I get a few replies.

The Village 10474796-287924 Holdem No Limit $1/$2
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Hand Start.
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Seat 1 : realdeal888 has $163.61
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Seat 2 : luscos has $229.75
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Seat 3 : Deggsy60 has $222.55
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Seat 4 : sparred has $223.63
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Seat 5 : Rotulla has $288.55
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Seat 6 : teeth0697 has $119.47
[Feb 26 20:55:36] : Rotulla is the dealer.
[Feb 26 20:55:37] : teeth0697 posted small blind.
[Feb 26 20:55:39] : realdeal888 posted big blind.
[Feb 26 20:55:39] : Game [287924] started with 6 players.
[Feb 26 20:55:39] : Dealing Hole Cards.
[Feb 26 20:55:39] : Seat 4 : sparred has
[Feb 26 20:55:43] : luscos folded.
[Feb 26 20:55:45] : Deggsy60 folded.
[Feb 26 20:55:49] : sparred called $2 and raised $6
[Feb 26 20:55:57] : Rotulla called $8
[Feb 26 20:55:58] : teeth0697 folded.
[Feb 26 20:55:59] : realdeal888 folded.
[Feb 26 20:55:59] : Dealing flop.
[Feb 26 20:55:59] : Board cards [ ]
[Feb 26 20:56:06] : sparred bet $15
[Feb 26 20:56:14] : Rotulla called $15 and raised $30

The villain was a ABC player was only playing around 14% of his hands and raising around 8% of those.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »

All-in?
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:45:22 AM »

You're only behind to a set and higher flush draw (both about 60%/40% unless he has AcQc; 75%/25%)

Given that you're both deep stacked, I may just call here and hope to hit what is likely to be 14 outs (or 15 if he doesn't have a set.) If you hit one of those, then check/raise all-in on the turn. If not, then check/call unless the board pairs or his bet is too large- in which case you probably want to fold.

This way you're still fairly likely to get all his chips if you do hit but can minimise your loss if you miss. Of course he may check if you hit your club but most players are probably still going to bet and commit themselves to calling your all-in that should follow.

The other option is to just chuck them all-in as Alex suggests, although you have zero fold equity against a set of course. However, if you believe this player would raise here with just top pair then I'd go for the all-in.

(The calling option also gives you the opportunity to bluff at the river if he checks behind you on the turn- if he is holding a flush draw too.)

Ultimately I think it comes down to how likely you think his minimum raise is representing a set.

Excellent question by the way. Smiley

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:03:32 AM »

You're only behind to a set and higher flush draw (both about 60%/40% unless he has AcQc; 75%/25%)

Given that you're both deep stacked, I may just call here and hope to hit what is likely to be 14 outs (or 15 if he doesn't have a set.) If you hit one of those, then check/raise all-in on the turn. If not, then check/call unless the board pairs or his bet is too large- in which case you probably want to fold.

This way you're still fairly likely to get all his chips if you do hit but can minimise your loss if you miss. Of course he may check if you hit your club but most players are probably still going to bet and commit themselves to calling your all-in that should follow.

The other option is to just chuck them all-in as Alex suggests, although you have zero fold equity against a set of course. However, if you believe this player would raise here with just top pair then I'd go for the all-in.

(The calling option also gives you the opportunity to bluff at the river if he checks behind you on the turn- if he is holding a flush draw too.)

Ultimately I think it comes down to how likely you think his minimum raise is representing a set.

Excellent question by the way. Smiley

Only problem with flat calling is that if he has a big hand that is actually behind you AA/AK or  K10 (ur a 51% fav over K10) then there are too many scare cads that stop his action on the turn. Say he has AA and the turn brings a club or broadway card. He shuts down if he's a great player and you have a difficult situation with only 1 card to come.

If he has a set you are 41% to win the hand to showdown. Without doing the full mathematics, given that there is roughly $80 in the pot right now you should almost never fold this hand with these stack sizes.

Im not sure what the perfect answer is to this Q. I like to get paid when i have big hands by being ultra-aggressive and this means playing monster draws and monster hands with the same amount of aggression. So the way i play id go ai. But calling is a fine play too, esp if he is the sort of player to call a massive overbet when you hit the flush/str8 on the turn/river.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:21:57 AM »

It would probably take me about a mille second to push all in here. Duno if its the right thing to do, but i usually peel one off on the turn or river.

He might fold, probably wont, but if he calls you have any club (except maybe the 8, if he has his set) Q or 7 to win.

Dont like the call, as i usually hit these hands on the river not the turn, and he can shove on the turn not giving you the odds to call, but if a club comes up chances are he wont put much more in.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:32:46 AM »

Raise to 90 for me.
I don't like the flatcall as it screams draw so the re-raise will do nicely. I wouldn't mive all in as that a very big bet compared to the pot and don't know what he'll make of that. I am hoping he'll move all-in so i can call though Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »

Cant agree Boldie, $53 Fold Equity if we push.......

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:47:18 AM »

Cant agree Boldie, $53 Fold Equity if we push.......

Fair enough. But the oppo only has 38$ invested in the pot..he's not guaranteed to stick all his chips in the middle if we push..and I want his chips in the middle here.
Nothing against the push I am just trying to make sure I get a customer for all the chips.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »

Fair enough Boldie.

Thought that meant that hed made it $45 in total. Meaning he'd $53 invested in pot. 

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »

Fair enough Boldie.

Thought that meant that hed made it $45 in total. Meaning he'd $53 invested in pot. 

Why do I read posts when I haven't had any coffee yet?

I apologize my friend, you are of course correct.

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 12:23:29 PM »

Raise to 90 for me.
I don't like the flatcall as it screams draw so the re-raise will do nicely. I wouldn't mive all in as that a very big bet compared to the pot and don't know what he'll make of that. I am hoping he'll move all-in so i can call though Smiley

I like this play best of all. Purely because villain can now shove with top 2,AK or AA. OBV you dont back down on turn.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »

Raise to 90 for me.

I like this play best of all. Purely because villain can now shove with top 2,AK or AA. OBV you dont back down on turn.

I like making it 90 here as well because it looks a lot stronger than the shove. Surely we want a pass now though, with his $50 already in there we don't want to take this to showdown.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »

Raise to 90 for me.

I like making it 90 here as well because it looks a lot stronger than the shove. Surely we want a pass now though, with his $50 already in there we don't want to take this to showdown.

I would be happy to take his 50$ but I am hoping he'll call/push. It really is a massive draw so am hoping to get all his money in here.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »

Raise to 90 for me.

I would be happy to take his 50$ but I am hoping he'll call/push. It really is a massive draw so am hoping to get all his money in here.

But you win more when he passes and your variance is less, if he calls its bad for us!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

Raise to 90 for me.

But you win more when he passes and your variance is less, if he calls its bad for us!

true  but like Alex said the Villain can come over the top withy AK/Aces etc and with the draw I'll take that on in a cash game.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: