blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:31:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Exit Hand Sunday Warm up 11th
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exit Hand Sunday Warm up 11th  (Read 3809 times)
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »

I was criticised by quite a few on the rail for this re raise, I would love your comments please, My thought process was, I have under 10 bb, I don't want to limp in to FT, and he could be holding any 2, was it that bad, I don't think so, please let me have your views

PokerStars Game #9088672039: Tournament #45258663, $200+$15 Hold'em No
Limit - Level XXVI (40000/80000) - 2007/03/25 - 19:49:33 (ET)
Table '45258663 4' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: DrEskilstuna (1596227 in chips)
Seat 2: dayero (980117 in chips)
Seat 3: pokitsnowmen (2145802 in chips)
Seat 4: Dewi_cool (582063 in chips)
Seat 6: velvetlife (1430645 in chips)
Seat 7: GigaBet (4568669 in chips)
DrEskilstuna: posts the ante 4000
dayero: posts the ante 4000
pokitsnowmen: posts the ante 4000
Dewi_cool: posts the ante 4000
velvetlife: posts the ante 4000
GigaBet: posts the ante 4000
Dewi_cool: posts small blind 40000
velvetlife: posts big blind 80000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Dewi_cool [ ]
GigaBet: raises 160000 to 240000
DrEskilstuna: folds
dayero: folds
pokitsnowmen: folds
Dewi_cool: raises 338063 to 578063 and is all-in
velvetlife: folds
GigaBet: calls 338063
TheWhisper [observer] said, "gl dewi"
*** FLOP *** [ ]
brauchpotato [observer] said, "lollllllllllllllllllllll"
Rhmd [observer] said, "wow"
kuldipc [observer] said, "omg"
christyb4 [observer] said, "glgl giga"
sheets [observer] said, "np"
*** TURN *** [ ] []
mbardsen [observer] said, "loooooool"
kuldipc [observer] said, "hahahaa"
kuldipc [observer] said, "a"
UCLArounder [observer] said, "wtf"
kuldipc [observer] said, "hahah"
*** RIVER *** [ ] []
Rhmd [observer] said, "sick"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Dewi_cool: shows [ ] (high card King)
GigaBet: shows [ ] (a pair of Fives)
kuldipc [observer] said, "a75"
sheets [observer] said, "tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
GigaBet collected 1260126 from pot
JohnnyBax [observer] said, "ding"
Rhmd [observer] said, "so sick"
kuldipc [observer] said, "ur a donk"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1260126 | Rake 0
Board [ ]
Seat 1: DrEskilstuna folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: dayero folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: pokitsnowmen (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Dewi_cool (small blind) showed [ ] and lost with high card
King
Seat 6: velvetlife (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: GigaBet showed [ ] and won (1260126) with a pair of Fives

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Pokerron

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:18:22 AM »

With your chip stack and facing a chipped up early raiser I would rather wait for a better spot to get my chips in (You have to assume you have undercards at best), however once you did get them in you were in front and it seems to me the railers are criticising his play rather than yours....

I think a bit more patience would have served you well, getting your chips into a unopened pot gives you the chance to incease your stack by 20% without having to show, you're likely to get better than 78 and an opened pot to shoot at in the next few hands...

The Thread Killer
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »

push. everyone knows gigabet is superaggressive and could be raising with any two. so this is the perfect spot to take a shot plus its better to push with mid-suited connectors than high suited connectors which are more likely to be dominated.
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »

i really dont like it.. i know its aftertiming, but hes gonna call with pretty much anything hes raised with given his stack and given that its gigabet, so you just do a simple equity analysis vs his range, and 8 high isn't gonna do too well. I'd say you get a fold here about zero % of the time. Its a great move against live players who love to find a reason to fold.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:24:53 AM »

Good performance and unlucky.  As others have said you don't have enough chips to get him to fold, so this is a gambling play more than anything.  You generally need 15bbs + to get someone to fold.  10bbs is a stealing stack not a resteal stack.
Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »

I was watching for quite a while, Gigabet was very active really bullying the table (as he should with his stack). I can see how it looks a bit rash but in the context of that table against that player I think Dewi made a perfect read on the situation, it took real ba**s to make the play, given blind situation to get up the prize money it was a good move IMHO.

As it was 70% - 30% favourite to win and got unlucky (although not as bad a JP, that was a beat)

As for the rail criticism, pure green eyed envy

Stars - stoneleighrd = Betfair - stone_clm
party - bubblesqueak
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:44:47 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I must admit to have chnaged my mind about it being the correct play, little more patience and really needed to get my chips in first, we live and learn thumbs up

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 05:46:51 PM »

I think you needed about 250-300k more chips to pull it off.

He has so many chips that he isnt passing any hand in that spot for your shove.

I didnt see this last night, sick way to go out after value shoving 8 high, :-)

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 10:27:56 PM »

Hello All

Ok

We should leave the cards alone for a second and focus purely on the tournament situation.

You are in a position where your poker instincts are telling you that you have to gamble. And gamble soon.

The question is whether that time is now.

You look down and see  - .

How convenient. A gambling hand.

So your instinct to want to play a gambling hand in what is clearly a gambling situation in the tournament is absolutely to your credit. Yes you could fold here and last a bit longer but you are going to be faced with a push soon enough. I would not be over-critical of yourself for this train of thought here.

Ironically, if the raise was followed by a call or two, pushing with this hand makes perfect sense. A number of your opponents would be caught by your squeeze play and you could still get heads up with it if one of them re-raises. The extra value in the pot would then give your gamble the best possible odds.

Did you know that 7-8s has been statistically proven to be the hand that cracks aces most frequently? So even in that worse case scenario all is not lost. Two fresh cards is certainly a realistic hope.

However to your surprise you find that not only are you ahead but you have your opponent dominated.

There is an important point to note here.

You have done well in the tournament thus far. You are playing well. Your instincts are tuned in. Then you instinctively push all-in with this hand against an opponent you have judged to be a bit of a maniac.

Personally, I would not be too quick to dismiss this play in the cold light of day when you are feeling disappointed. This is clearly bloody good poker!

I would be feeling well pleased.

At the time when you were in the zone of it all you produced an instinctive read and a cracking play.

Because of all the books we read we learn to focus on the statistical expectation of hands and loose sight of the fact that poker is also a "feel" game.

You felt the time was right and bingo it was. I think it is good to have a bit of faith in instinctive play. Most world class players have complete trust in this aspect of their game.

Of course this could be complete nonsense.

If it was me I would love my play here. The fact you got knocked out is not representative of a bad play in my book.

But statistically you really want to be looking to push first here in an un-opened pot with any A any pair.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »

I would have pushed in that position too.  Unlucky Dewi.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 11:30:29 PM »

Did you know that 7-8s has been statistically proven to be the hand that cracks aces most frequently? So even in that worse case scenario all is not lost. Two fresh cards is certainly a realistic hope.

87s, 76s, and 65s are all equally likely to crack AA (22.87% Vs AA with no shared suit)

However 65s has a very, very small increased chance of a tie over 76s, which in turn has a very, very small increased chance of a tie over 87s.

-Smart Money
Chairman of the Anal Mathematican Association. Smiley

CrestOfaWave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 11:31:21 PM »

wp dewi - you have hit some form...

Nice score for a few hours work.

I personally like this hand to push with too. You were just ul gigabit caught some of the flop.

jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 01:13:55 AM »

I was watching this and at the time felt a push was a good play but after thinking on, you just did not quite have enough to make him fold. - it was close though ,he thought about it for a while( in online terms). Of course it was awesome when he turns over 7-5 - I think you both thought you would be live . I think 1st in is the key and you can fold here and still have fold equity. pretty close decision though especially near the Ft of a big tourney.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 02:13:39 AM »

Gigabet pass exactly 0% of the time here therefore pushing with this hand is suicidal IMO, wait for a better spot.
Rupert
:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 04:21:39 AM »

this shove is absolutely awful, you are laying gigabet 2.84/1 which means he has to call as long as he is 26% against your range... to give you some idea, even if your range was QQ, KK, AA, AKo, AKs, 75o is still 25% against that range so he has to call.  There is absolutely no way he can fold here so your play is ridiculously bad i'm afraid

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: