blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Folding aces
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Folding aces  (Read 1030 times)
Indestructable

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »

Interesting hand last night with a player folding pocked aces post flop with the following flop

pre flop he had made a small raise and had two callers. There are no major differences in chip counts between himself and the other two.
Post flop first to act goes all in and after a bit of a dwell the next guy calls.
The guy with pocket aces folded and showed his hand and a few of them took the mick at what a dumb decision it was. He defended the decision on the basis that he was certain that one of them had two pair and did not want to throw his chips away.
As it happens the two hands shown were

and

He soon had a smile on his face when the river was

Giving one of the players trips for the pot, which in a way vindicated his decision, not that anyone else agreed with him. I gave him a bit of moral support along the lines of that he made the right decision as he would have lost the pot, but could you see yourself folding aces in this situation?
I didn't agree with his two pair thoughts as based on the play up to this point unlikely that a player would have called the raise with 9-10. But would you want to take your chances against a possible straight or flush draw?
(I appreciate that I have only given sketchy details of the hand but was too tired to post it when I got home and have forgotten some of the detail)
WellChief

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 07:15:51 PM »

Depends on buy-in and stuff.  If you feel that the second player was dwelling because he genuinally wasn't sure whether to call or not (which was probably the case) then its an obvious call.  If it was a thinking player however he might give a long dwell with a really strong hand to induce players behind him to call.

Its not the right decision because he would have lost the pot either.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »

it was the wrong move even though he would of lost he was a huge favourite to win

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:48:14 PM »

Easy fold in most cash situations.

Probably an easy call in most tournamnet situations.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:33:54 PM »

it was the wrong move even though he would of lost he was a huge favourite to win

The problem is that it was a fluke that he was such a big favorite. This kind of hand is where Sklanskys theory of poker doesn't really work.  It is a huge "theory of poker mistake", but might not be such a big mistake if you assess what range of hands these opponents might hold.  Having said that I think this is probably a call unless its the bubble or there is some other specific tournament situation that would dictate being overcautious.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:46:33 PM »

against 2 players your are probarly getting good odds against most hands you will be playing

the only had you have to watch out for is the set which due to the all in then the dwell you wouldnt be up against

more often than not your up against 2 draws the flush and the straight in which case you are getting 3-1 on a 45/55 shot

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Jonboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:32:45 PM »

Easy fold in most cash situations.

Probably an easy call in most tournamnet situations.

Spot on  Wink
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 04:22:01 AM »

Where did this hand take place? I want in. Seriosly though, when the second player dwells then calls, if he is any good whatsoever he has to have a big hand most of the time. Putting a guy on a specific hand like 109 is a bit out there too. I love the fact the guy smiles when a nine rivers, id be crying that i made the wrong decision.
Depends on stack sizes tbh with regard to whether or not its a call. Also, the quality of opponent.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: