blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Anyway you pass this on the flop?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyway you pass this on the flop?  (Read 1680 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:48:40 AM »

33$ rebuy to the WSOP on stars. 14 or so left..only first gets a package (2nd gets 650 for their troubles)
Blinds 1 and 2k you are about average with 35k

Your BB and luckbox (who was down to 1500 chips 2 levels ago now has been catching everything and is back up to 36k, generally regarded to be a donk by the way he's been playing this tourney.) raises to 4k total from UTG+2. (only 7 at the table)

you find k2 of hearts on the BB. Not much of a hand but with the blinds and antes there's already 9k-ish in the pot and it would be 2k to call and win an 11k pot.

Do you fold here?

I decided to call and peel off a flop

Flop comes down;

This gives you the second nut FD and a gutshot straight draw.

Now what do you do? Check call? Or do you lead out? He has generally been folding when you lead out at him and he hasn't hit the flop.

I lead out 6k here and he immediatly reraises me all in. (which screams I've got Aces!!!!. which I probably should have picked up from his min raise pre-flop and was cursing myself for not folding pre-flop in a little while...anyway)

You have 25k back..still about 9 minutes of this blind level to go and you wouldn't be in the biggest world of trouble the way this table has been playing. However, you need to win this tourney and though you've been grinding all night to get this far only 2 places get paid and winning this hand sets you up fairly nicely to do well on the final table.

Is there anyone who folds here and says "Screw it, I'll get them in a little while?"

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:24:20 AM »

Is there anywhere in the poker manual to say luckboxes can't get genuine hands as well?

Do you really want to put your tournament life on the line with a draw (and a non nut draw)?

Yes its a winner takes all tournament (virtually) but surely you will find better opportunities than calling preflop out of position with K2?

Personally i pass preflop.

sponsored by Fyffes
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:12:53 AM »

Well, if this was a cash hand then you would have to call every time of course, as you're getting 2/1 ($25k into a $48k pot) on your money, with what is probably 12 outs.

However, I think most successful satellite players would find this an easy fold.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »

Well, if this was a cash hand then you would have to call every time of course, as you're getting 2/1 ($25k into a $48k pot) on your money, with what is probably 12 outs.

However, I think most successful satellite players would find this an easy fold.

As there is only one seat the satellite should be played as if it was a cash game - so I call.

ps - although you should try to avoid races over small pots - in this case I think you are probably giving up too much.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:18:37 AM by doubleup » Logged
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »

Having called pre flop I'd check this on the flop and see how much its going to cost me.  To lead out is dangerous because if he does come over the top you have a non nut draw and you have just spunked of 6k in chips to find this out.  Ideally if he does have Aces and he's as much of a monkey as you say then he may check to u and let you peel of a free card which improves your holding,

Normally though like Matt I am passing pre flop.

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »

and he's as much of a monkey as you say

OI!!

sponsored by Fyffes
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »

and he's as much of a monkey as you say

OI!!

No offence intended towards our primate cousins!

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 02:46:07 PM »

No offence intended towards our primate cousins!

None taken Wink

sponsored by Fyffes
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 02:49:39 PM »

Having called pre flop I'd check this on the flop and see how much its going to cost me.  To lead out is dangerous because if he does come over the top you have a non nut draw and you have just spunked of 6k in chips to find this out.  Ideally if he does have Aces and he's as much of a monkey as you say then he may check to u and let you peel of a free card which improves your holding,

That's what I thought I should have done to be honest (well in the first frew minutes afterwards). I wasn't worried about him having a better FD so considered that to be good. But I bet into him (even though admittedly I should have known he had aces and wouldn't fold) as I thought he would be able to lay down a hand as he generally had been folding when bet into. I think my main mistake here was not taking him for aces pre-flop even though his bet smelt like it and then being stupid enough to think he could lay them down if I bet into him.
Something smelt wrong but I knew I had plenty of outs so made the call. Was the call (from a sattelite perspective) the right one? that's the main question I'm left with really.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »

That's what I thought I should have done to be honest (well in the first frew minutes afterwards). I wasn't worried about him having a better FD so considered that to be good. But I bet into him (even though admittedly I should have known he had aces and wouldn't fold) as I thought he would be able to lay down a hand as he generally had been folding when bet into. I think my main mistake here was not taking him for aces pre-flop even though his bet smelt like it and then being stupid enough to think he could lay them down if I bet into him.
Something smelt wrong but I knew I had plenty of outs so made the call. Was the call (from a sattelite perspective) the right one? that's the main question I'm left with really.

its difficult for me to say because the hand has been played totally different to the way I would have played it.  However with the ammount of chips in the middle and the potential prize I would be inclined to after playing it like a complete fish stick it in!

My reasons for doing this:

1 - Its £17 - its not a lot in comparison to what could be won.
2 - its a probable coin toss - if all your outs are good your probably no worse off than 60/40 - Having left myself with your chips I am happy to get them in on this occasion.  Tell me thats what you did and you where wrong to do so.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »

Tell me thats what you did and you where wrong to do so.

Well yes I got them in and yes i lost the hand..don't know if it was the wrong thing to do though. (not wanting to be too results orientated)

Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »

I fold pre. 

If I'd called I'd check jam / check fold on flop

As it happens given that its virtually winner take all I think you have to call (Although im sure Ariston will disagree)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

Now what do you do? Check call? Or do you lead out?

Nether.

You have to call now, only 1 prize.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 05:02:19 PM »

When your in this spot, you have to call as theres only 1 prize on the line.

Now what do you do? Check call? Or do you lead out?
Nether.

So what do u do? Check fold?
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 05:03:33 PM »

Boldie, seeing as tho your only playing for 1st, id call pre flop (if hed made it 6k diff matter, easy fold) but value to peel off a flop now.

Then on the flop id usuaully check raise all in.

Definite call when he shoves, even if he has aces your only 46/54 and clear value.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: