blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Making a mistake and face this decision.............
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making a mistake and face this decision.............  (Read 4489 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »

There are so so many danger cards if he checks behind you.

100% agree, i only check here if i know he is going to bet

Also, in a tourney I think it is best to put the other player to a decision for their tournament, rather than being faced with calling all your stack with a moderate hand

100% disagree.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 04:05:21 PM »

As i said to you at the time mate i would call here. Sarge told me straight after the hand what he had too when the table was breaking. Do you know/want to know?

HI HELEN!
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »

I already know m8 Sad
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

Interesting thread...

I particularly like the comments from Smart Money....
I'm mainly a cash player, but I can't understand this logic.

If you push the turn, I can't see any of the hands you're beating folding. Likewise AK/AQ hands won't be calling you.

Whereas by check/calling his all-in, you're still losing to any hands that are ahead of you of course, but you also put yourself in a favourable position over hands that are trailing your 99, including a bluff attempt.

I am almost exclusively a tournament player and my mentality is completely different. The fundamental of successful tournament play is SURVIVAL. Making money/chips is a secondary consideration. This is so because clearly you can't make money if you've been knocked out. In cash play survival is not an issue...it's all about making $$. So the two mentalities are completely at odds with each other.

To answer the points you raise M3...

Point 1) - Do you agree that a push when the 8 arrives is a better play?
Absolutely yes. You have decided to play the 9-9 here and have hit an almost perfect flop...(or as perfect as tournament time pressures allow). The only danger is the BB holding a deuce and you quickly find out that this is not a factor so I now feel almost certain you have the best hand.

You bet out and the other limper IMMEDIATELY CALLS. This tells me he does not have a BIG HAND. There is another active player in the BB behind him and there would be at least some consideration from him with regards to how he is going to proceed here....does he want to rope in the BB? This would require some element of thought. The immediate call also tells me he doesn't have an over-pair. Why? Again he has the same active player and also yourself to consider. A hand such as J-J is vulnerable in a multi-way pot so if he didn't raise pre-flop he would certainly raise now.

In tournaments I ALWAYS press hands that I think are ahead but I feel are vulnerable. Getting tricky here and taking your foot off the gas can lead you into either out-draw or tough decision making territory. And I absolutely hate calling all my chips in with the worst hand. So I definitely move on the turn. In situations like this my opponent is going to have to show me a hand that beats me. If he can then fair play....but like you say...it will be his decision to make not mine. You may not make as much as you could if you avoid playing this hand in the trappy way you have but remember the key in tournaments is survival and this point is particularly prudent with marginal hands.

The only downside to this hand is the fact that you didn't raise. I absolutely hate going broke in an un-raised pot. If I had raised pre-flop I push the turn with confidence. In this un-raised pot I simply push and hope I reach 5 seconds without hearing "call"....and then relax.

Point 2) - Do you call the all in?
Absolutely yes. Don't like this anywhere near as much as pushing myself. But I believe I have the best hand. There is absolutely no way he has 5-5 or 8-8 or any hand as big as this. Any change of behaviour during a hand is suspicious. If he flopped a boat he slow-played by calling...why would he suddenly change that strategy on the turn and quickly push. Slow play - Quick play is a big tell for me. Either he is trying to rope you in or push you out. Which is it? The fact he can't decide along with the pre-flop limp (after a limp) and the immediate post-flop call makes me think he's weak here.

Point 3) - What do you think the likely holding of the other limper is.
I like the idea of a suited 3-4 here. A limp after a limp pre-flop. An immediate call when he picks up the open-ended straight draw and the sudden change in attitude to move all-in and expose your "weakness" (with outs) on the turn.

If the chips go in on his terms now and he gets lucky you have not survived because of your trappy play. By checking the turn you have been put to an awkward decision for all your chips and probably folded the best hand.

Out of interest...what did the bugger have M3?

Good Luck

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 06:37:04 PM »

Do you have nothing better to do? lol... I can't even be bothered to read all that!!!!!!

He told me he had A8. May well have told M3 something different! lmao.

HI HELEN!
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 07:15:27 PM »

Yep, well I did think that A-8 made sense....turn play in isolation...but then thought that calling the flop bet with A-8 is just plain ridiculous. A least there is some rhyme or reason to calling the flop with 3-4.

The above and admittedly lengthy post in brief just for you Rookie...

You have the best hand...move with it.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 08:04:26 PM »

Interesting thread...

I particularly like the comments from Smart Money....
I'm mainly a cash player, but I can't understand this logic.

If you push the turn, I can't see any of the hands you're beating folding. Likewise AK/AQ hands won't be calling you.

Whereas by check/calling his all-in, you're still losing to any hands that are ahead of you of course, but you also put yourself in a favourable position over hands that are trailing your 99, including a bluff attempt.

I am almost exclusively a tournament player and my mentality is completely different. The fundamental of successful tournament play is SURVIVAL. Making money/chips is a secondary consideration. This is so because clearly you can't make money if you've been knocked out. In cash play survival is not an issue...it's all about making $$. So the two mentalities are completely at odds with each other.

To answer the points you raise M3...

Point 1) - Do you agree that a push when the 8 arrives is a better play?
Absolutely yes. You have decided to play the 9-9 here and have hit an almost perfect flop...(or as perfect as tournament time pressures allow). The only danger is the BB holding a deuce and you quickly find out that this is not a factor so I now feel almost certain you have the best hand.

You bet out and the other limper IMMEDIATELY CALLS. This tells me he does not have a BIG HAND. There is another active player in the BB behind him and there would be at least some consideration from him with regards to how he is going to proceed here....does he want to rope in the BB? This would require some element of thought. The immediate call also tells me he doesn't have an over-pair. Why? Again he has the same active player and also yourself to consider. A hand such as J-J is vulnerable in a multi-way pot so if he didn't raise pre-flop he would certainly raise now.

In tournaments I ALWAYS press hands that I think are ahead but I feel are vulnerable. Getting tricky here and taking your foot off the gas can lead you into either out-draw or tough decision making territory. And I absolutely hate calling all my chips in with the worst hand. So I definitely move on the turn. In situations like this my opponent is going to have to show me a hand that beats me. If he can then fair play....but like you say...it will be his decision to make not mine. You may not make as much as you could if you avoid playing this hand in the trappy way you have but remember the key in tournaments is survival and this point is particularly prudent with marginal hands.

The only downside to this hand is the fact that you didn't raise. I absolutely hate going broke in an un-raised pot. If I had raised pre-flop I push the turn with confidence. In this un-raised pot I simply push and hope I reach 5 seconds without hearing "call"....and then relax.

Point 2) - Do you call the all in?
Absolutely yes. Don't like this anywhere near as much as pushing myself. But I believe I have the best hand. There is absolutely no way he has 5-5 or 8-8 or any hand as big as this. Any change of behaviour during a hand is suspicious. If he flopped a boat he slow-played by calling...why would he suddenly change that strategy on the turn and quickly push. Slow play - Quick play is a big tell for me. Either he is trying to rope you in or push you out. Which is it? The fact he can't decide along with the pre-flop limp (after a limp) and the immediate post-flop call makes me think he's weak here.

Point 3) - What do you think the likely holding of the other limper is.
I like the idea of a suited 3-4 here. A limp after a limp pre-flop. An immediate call when he picks up the open-ended straight draw and the sudden change in attitude to move all-in and expose your "weakness" (with outs) on the turn.

If the chips go in on his terms now and he gets lucky you have not survived because of your trappy play. By checking the turn you have been put to an awkward decision for all your chips and probably folded the best hand.

Out of interest...what did the bugger have M3?

Good Luck

Wow, exactly wat I said when I said "I'd have to call here. Your show of weakness on the turn means he could have any two cards. You already have plenty invested in the pot and your overpair might still be good..(in fact you think it is as you were looking to checkraise knowing he'd never take you for a 2's from under the gun)."...scary, isn't it?

excellent post Mr Mantis, Sir.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »

You have an excellent poker brain Boldie.....

I don't like the check on the turn, even with the intention of check-raising.

The process of putting your opponent on a hand must start from the off.

What information do we have? Early limp after a limp (not a big pair in my eyes) + immediate flop-bet call (Any pp must raise here to define their hand). This equation must equal 3-4 or perhaos A-5 for any opponent with an ounce of credibility. If our opponent has shown an interest in the flop with a flat call why when we offer them a free river card to improve do we think they are going to bet? The 3-4, A-5 or indeed ATCs will probably accept that offer to improve.

Absolutely any river card other than a deuce or a 9 is a card that could beat us. So we could be pushing into the best hand now or check-calling into the best hand.

If I was M3's opponent I see him limp under the gun....maybe a pp....bet the flop...maybe an over-pair to the flop?? Then suddenly slow down when the 8 comes. I think that maybe he just filled-up himself. This in itself would slow me down. So I just don't think that we can guarantee action on the turn.

The man does ship it on the turn. This seems weird to me and can only spell weakness or a draw.

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 11:43:52 PM »

Why cant he have a hand like 2/3,  A2  K2s? Those hands are vulnerable enough to shove on the turn.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 12:41:43 AM »

Why cant he have a hand like 2/3,  A2  K2s? Those hands are vulnerable enough to shove on the turn.

co za ryba

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »

OK, from a tourney prospective.

There are so so many danger cards if he checks behind you.

Absolutely, I completelty agree, and I can see how you may regret not pushing the turn if he checks behind.

However, I don't understand how you can regret not pushing the turn seeing as he jammed. You can't be in a worse EV position here than if you did the pushing, surely? (With the very unlikely exception that he had TT/JJ and was so tight that he may fold to your all-in.)

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »

I agree with smart money here...

Now that our opponent has pushed on the turn the call is a must.

The only reason I don't like the check is in case a check follows it and then we're lost on the river. Also I would only check with a clear intention of calling if this happened. So my decision would be made in advance of checking. I wouldn't check and then decide what to do after my opponent acts.

Why cant he have a hand like 2/3,  A2  K2s?
My opponent's position UTG+1 make me discount him holding a 2. This may be a generalisation but, specifically in tournaments going with hunches and generalisations is often necessary.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:06:41 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Muahahahaha

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 01:08:31 PM »

The fundamental of successful tournament play is SURVIVAL. Making money/chips is a secondary consideration. This is so because clearly you can't make money if you've been knocked out.

Can I just cut this out & keep it please.

thumbs up
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »

Just a question. When the buyins increase and the quality of player increases, who calls here.

Anyone who auto-calls an all-in bet from a strong player here is a nut.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »

The fundamental of successful tournament play is SURVIVAL. Making money/chips is a secondary consideration. This is so because clearly you can't make money if you've been knocked out.

Can I just cut this out & keep it please.

This clearly might be the most obvious piece of advice in the history of poker, I know. But something that really opens my eyes is the massive gulf in mentalities between cash and tournament play. I regularly see top-draw cash players getting ripped up in tournaments...but similarly excellent tournament players are lost at the cash tables. I think the two disciplines are a million miles apart and I very rarely see players who get equally good results in both forms of the game.

In M3's example he starts the hand with about 20k. When the turn card drops there is 11,800 in the pot. His mentality is to check-raise the turn and make the most of his hand. As a pure tournament player this is something I just wouldn't do. The risk of it going wrong and not "surviving" is too great for me. I do slow-play often but I would need better than 9-9 to do this.

To take the 11,800 on offer, increase my stack nicely, give the table a taste of my aggression, survive this marginal situation and move onto the next hand is fine by me here. If I do push the turn, my opponent may call with A-8 or a draw and I get paid all the more. If he doesn't then the 11,800 is risk free.

M3 looks to check-raise because he thinks he has the best hand but then lays it down after the all-in. What changed?

I personally auto-call here due to the information I have seen from the player in question. If the buy-ins were greater I doubt my opponent would play his hand in this way. If he does then I call and he will have to show me a hand that beats me. Having complete confidence in how you have read a marginal situation is often good enough to win the tournament you are playing in.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: