blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Ivey plays his monster strongly
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ivey plays his monster strongly  (Read 1812 times)
fearisthekey

PL: 51S1NT 4R51MS

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2007, 06:14:23 PM »

Not sure I totally understand this hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72L2t5WjWnM&mode=related&search=

Preflop Benjamin has shown strength by calling the reraise, now Ivey is what, just praying he hasn't hit a
big piece of the flop? Or is it a read or what? Or is he representing AA KK?

Has he put them on hands preflop knowing that they only flat call his big reraise?

W85N 494 T85 4R51M 253OM5 1 N978TM1R5

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:45:47 AM »

Not sure I totally understand this hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72L2t5WjWnM&mode=related&search=

Preflop Benjamin has shown strength by calling the reraise, now Ivey is what, just praying he hasn't hit a
big piece of the flop? Or is it a read or what? Or is he representing AA KK?

Has he put them on hands preflop knowing that they only flat call his big reraise?

How has he shown strength by flat calling, that is weakness surely?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
fearisthekey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:04:02 AM »

I hear you, flushy. What I was pointing at was that he is unlikely to have 44 or J9 etc because he was prepared to call such a sizeable reraise from Ivey. He's certainly weaker than KK AA because Ivey reraise is an enticement to push with AA KK. Dunno what Benjamin was thinking...must be hoping to hit a set and for Ivey to keep going crazy. If a set doesnt hit (likely) and overcards do (likely) Ivey is going to carry on betting anyway, and then where are you?? He called the big reraise probably suspecting he was ahead, but not prepared to carry it through. A great lesson in how to piss away your chips?
Maybe seeing the raise and flat call of reraise is how Ivey put him on his hand, that's what I was wondering most about. Maybe he's just crazy...

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:07:13 AM »

I hear you, flushy. What I was pointing at was that he is unlikely to have 44 or J9 etc because he was prepared to call such a sizeable reraise from Ivey. He's certainly weaker than KK AA because Ivey reraise is an enticement to push with AA KK. Dunno what Benjamin was thinking...must be hoping to hit a set and for Ivey to keep going crazy. If a set doesnt hit (likely) and overcards do (likely) Ivey is going to carry on betting anyway, and then where are you?? He called the big reraise probably suspecting he was ahead, but not prepared to carry it through. A great lesson in how to piss away your chips?
Maybe seeing the raise and flat call of reraise is how Ivey put him on his hand, that's what I was wondering most about. Maybe he's just crazy...

Do we know how deep they are? Calling to hit the set is probably fine.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
fearisthekey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 01:18:10 AM »

Cash game with I guess $100K-$200 K each. Hit your set, Ivey is going to pay off for sure.

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

totalise

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:49:41 AM »

set mining against good players is almost never fine.. its probably most good players number 1 profit source.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 01:56:29 AM »

I cant believe Ivey didnt show it, i would have had to show the 6.

He's playing poker, Benyamine knows Ivey will pay him if he hits and cont bet if the board comes low with AK.

His line is fine, just Iveys is, erm, finer.
I, Zimbra
Fallen Astronaut

"the wind in my heart, the dust in my head"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 02:34:23 AM »

There is an extent to which I believe that Ivey could make a play on a televised cash game that he wouldn't necessarily make in his bread-and-butter playing life... but if anyone who sees this on TV and thinks Ivey has 6-4offsuit whenever he re-re-raises, then so much the better for him.

gadji beri bimba clandridi
lauli lonni cadori gadjam
a bim beri glassala glandride
e glassala tuffm i zimbra
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »

There is an extent to which I believe that Ivey could make a play on a televised cash game that he wouldn't necessarily make in his bread-and-butter playing life... but if anyone who sees this on TV and thinks Ivey has 6-4offsuit whenever he re-re-raises, then so much the better for him.

Yes, I think this was very much a TV play. In the clip, doesn't Lindgren even say that Ivey told him he was raising the first hand no matter what?
fearisthekey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 12:57:15 PM »

Yes, I think this was very much a TV play. In the clip, doesn't Lindgren even say that Ivey told him he was raising the first hand no matter what?
Benyamine should have made a TV play back Smiley
The only time I remember seeing Ivey actually HAVING a big hand was KK and he layed it down to a bluff!
One thing's for sure, his face never changes, no matter what he's got...

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 08:47:12 PM »

If you cant be bluffed, you cant be very good. People underestimate the value of the pure start to finish bluff in NL poker.
fearisthekey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 10:14:33 PM »

If you cant be bluffed, you cant be very good. People underestimate the value of the pure start to finish bluff in NL poker.

Just saw Phil Laak talking about that, you will be making some laydowns when you are a clear favourite. LAGs will say that you're wrong wrong wrong, but if you haven't got the sense to laydown frequently when you figure you're probably behind....
All begs the big question. Why play Cash NL holdem??? To make money?Huh? So why play it against Phil Ivey then?
The guy scares me.

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »

ego perhaps?
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 08:57:44 AM »

Benyamine should have made a TV play back Smiley
The only time I remember seeing Ivey actually HAVING a big hand was KK and he layed it down to a bluff!
One thing's for sure, his face never changes, no matter what he's got...

It was a terrible bluff though; Brad Booth basically risks $300k to win $45. (The pot is slightly bigger than $45, but the excess was his.)

He needs the bluff to work 7/8 times to make a small profit, and Ivey wasn't that far off calling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgtQkDq6Fyo

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »

how much is one tv bluff worth to your lifetime earnings?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: