blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Suited cards
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suited cards  (Read 809 times)
Indestructable

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »

I think (or rather I know) that there is a big hole in my game in that I value suited cards too highly.
I am sure that I value the strength of a hand too highly when suited. As an example if I had

i could fold to a raise easily

But if it was

I am much more tempted to call raises or even reraise. Trouble is i have no logic as to what extent the fact that cards are suited should make a difference to my judgement.
Last night I called an all in move with half of my chips with

Whereas if it had been

I would have folded straight away. (I did lose my chips as the other guy had big slick)

Can anyone give me any general advice on this?
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:57:01 PM »

Just to back it up just pushed all in preflop and knocked out with

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:14:36 PM »

I think (or rather I know) that there is a big hole in my game in that I value suited cards too highly.
I am sure that I value the strength of a hand too highly when suited. As an example if I had

But if it was

I am much more tempted to call raises or even reraise. Trouble is i have no logic as to what extent the fact that cards are suited should make a difference to my judgement.

Whereas if it had been

I would have folded straight away. (I did lose my chips as the other guy had big slick)

Lol, im not sure what to say. Stop overvaluing suited cards.
johnbhoy76

It's f***in boring after a while without the cards

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:15:18 PM »

But if it was

Whereas if it had been

To be honest I think you've already answered your own post by recognising it is a mistake. The hard part is actually doing what you know is right in the moment.

I think in general terms people overvalue suited hands.

If I play connected cards I tend to play unsuited cards

can get you into a world of trouble when the other guy hits a bigger flush. Also you often don't get paid off when you hit a flush as the board is screaming out FLUSH!!!!!! at your opponents.

However a hand like is much safer as you either hit it or you don't. there's usually no middle ground. If the board comes 5 6 9 A J  Rainbow then you've a much better chance of getting paid off here.

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook
Yeah, yeah, yeah
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:07:01 PM »

it's not catchy but this always stuck with me.
some old bloke. dunno who he was. prob played a fair few fests or whatever. once said to a scandanavian kid who been calling any type of raise or reraise with suited connectors during gutshot's £100 freeze "you don't win tournaments with little flushes and straights kid. you win them with pairs and high cards." he'd called the scandi down to the river with A high. Smiley
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:02:44 AM »

It is more important to be aware of situations and how your cards might fit into those situations rather than focusing too heavily on the cards themselves.

Suited cards have about a 2-3% showdown advantage over their unsuited counterparts. So they do have a bit more potential. Yes, you could hit a flush or a straight...but this is a long shot. In this respect you want to be involved in a cheap multi-way pot if you are going to give yourself worthwhile odds to hit this long shot. When you have a big draw or flop a made hand your hope is to get paid by as many people as possible.

In your example you called off half your stack against one opponent whilst focusing on the 2% drawing potential. Your cards don't work well here. There is little or no chance you are ahead and could quite possibly be dominated. So by calling in this situation you risk half your stack to win half your stack with a weak starting hand. You are clearly not going to hit a straight or flush half of the time so this is a bad gamble for you.

And taking on bad gambles is not a formula for winning poker!

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: