blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:57:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 614 615 [616] 617 618 619 620 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1281583 times)
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #9225 on: August 22, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »

Don't think it's accurate to label this acquisition 'good business' by focussing entirely on the transfer fee alone. If he does something crazy (which is inevitable), especially after Suarez, Liverpool are going to start acquiring a certain reputation. Let's say he gets banned for racism or cheating, how is this going to affect Liverpool's commercial potential, especially abroad? Or how does it affect the influential youth players coming through? Or families views about going to Anfield?

If the squad becomes disillusioned and there is friction between different factions on the training ground is that 'good business'?

First rule of business. Protect the business against risk. So how is this signing 'good business'?

Anyway Liverpool are now insisting on a code of behaviour clause in his contract so I don't think they're ultra confident about their abilities to tame this madman.

Suarez was nothing but good business for Liverpool though. Financially speaking that's a fact.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: August 22, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »

The worst case scenario you would still get minimum 10 million for him without a doubt
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: August 22, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »

Sure sorted Suarez out. Don't care how good this psychologist is- balloteli is an accident waiting to happen

The best return of a player in 38 game season history. Sure didn't.

Why is that down to the psychologist? Suarez undoubtedly has talent but with it comes huge baggage. Well done mate it's down to u he had such a great season. The fact he bit a player AGAIN doesn't reflect on you work as a psychologist.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: August 22, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »

For those who don't follow Fred, you may be interested in this.

Corals are offerring 9/4 that Mario gets a Red card this season.

The concensus seems to be that's a 6/4 shot at best.

Back the lorry up.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »

sportingintelligence ‏@sportingintel  29s
At £16m fee and (roughly) £5m-a-year wages, if Balo signed 3yr #lfc deal then 7 goals a season would pay his way. Each PL goal worth c£1.5m.

Agree with this

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: August 22, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »

You'd be happy with 7 goals a season? Goodbye champs league if that's his return

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: August 22, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »

sportingintelligence ‏@sportingintel  29s
At £16m fee and (roughly) £5m-a-year wages, if Balo signed 3yr #lfc deal then 7 goals a season would pay his way. Each PL goal worth c£1.5m.

Agree with this

Need more than 7 goals from the 2nd striker!!

And likely to be 5yr deal these days

Carpe Diem
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: August 22, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »

I dont care im not a liverpool fan

Just the point about the price really 7 goals or more pays for the whole contract
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: August 22, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »

I dont care im not a liverpool fan

Just the point about the price really 7 goals or more pays for the whole contract

Cant see how it does to be honest. 7 goals is a midfielders target not a main forward

Carpe Diem
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

Read the tweet!

Each premier league goal has been worked out to be worth 1.5 million.
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: August 22, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »

Read the tweet!

Each premier league goal has been worked out to be worth 1.5 million.

I thought it was working out mario at 1.5m per goal.

Needs to be 5yr deal, and a 1 year deal (as not unlikely he'd go aftet 12months

Carpe Diem
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9236 on: August 22, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »

You can't look at the transfer fee alone to work out the value of a player - his wages need to be accounted for as well.

That aside, Balotelli wouldn't have been my first choice of striker to sign, but my first choices aren't available/wouldn't come to Liverpool.  So we've been looking at second choices.  Remy, Bony, and now Balotelli.  Out of those three, only the latter gets me excited.  He's a marquee signing, possibly for some of the wrong reasons, but he's a big signing.  What he does bring is options, and he also brings something else for defenders to think about.

I think Sturridge is going to be the happiest at Liverpool with this signing.  It takes a massive weight of expectation and reliance off Sturridge's shoulders.  As a PL defender, I'd be much happier defending against a Liverpool side with Sturridge up front on his own (with the likes of Sterling, Lallana, etc., attacking from deeper).  Throw Balotelli into the mix and suddenly the defenders have a bigger headache.  He has to be marked, and he's a handful to mark with his physical presence and pace.  That now frees Sturridge up a bit and he's now not as easy to mark.  If Rodgers goes with both of them up front (as he did with Sturridge and Suarez) the defence are going to be very occupied looking after those two and that gives space to the likes of Sterling, Markovic, Lallana, etc. 

He's also another option at free-kicks, and that's useful in the absence of Suarez.

There's a big question-mark over how effective Mario will be over the course of the season.  Yes, he's had disciplinary issues, but he'll miss fewer games through suspension than Suarez did that's for sure.  People obviously question his attitude, but he won't be allowed to be a passenger at all in a Rodgers' side. It's a risk signing him, a gamble.  But for £16m and £90k a week, that means the pot-odds demand a call.  In comparison - United are paying more for Nani's wages and he's not even playing for them this season!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:34:26 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: August 22, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

What's starting line up after ballotelli arrives?
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: August 22, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »

And the 7 goals is factoring in the wages as well

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: August 22, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »

I really don't get the hate for this. 

The guy is an amazing talent.  Sure he has issues but this is just good business. 

I mean Ross McCormack went to Fulham for near 12 million. 
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 614 615 [616] 617 618 619 620 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: