blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:31:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Was She right to push?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was She right to push?  (Read 4980 times)
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »

lol @ these massive overshoves with AK, what do you all think it looks like?

LOL, you gonna tell me you don't push UTG with AK here??

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 05:46:24 AM »

LOL, you gonna tell me you don't push UTG with AK here??

600-1200 with 20k i push with exactly 0.00% of holdings.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »

like AK

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »

like AK

what makes you think that's a good thing?..you are essentially saying "hey, wanna race for all my chips?"

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 07:14:11 PM »

Acid raised to 3k from UTG...a perfectly respectable raise. Her raise wassn't bad either. she could have raised to 9k and maybe get someone with a lesser holding than AK to fold but that also would have left the door open for him to move all in, which is what she wanted to avoid. Any raise higher than 9k would have meant "I'm gonna put all my chips in the middle no matter what" so she might aswell push in that case.

The call, well not much wrong with it if you're thinking she has a lower pair..maybe even a weaker Ace or AK...essentially everything other than KK/AA and you are willing to race for all your chips at this stage (which you don't have to do but OK) but you have to atleast think about her holdings before making the call. You surely have to know you're racing. If you make the choice to do so than that's fine..if you just fling your chips in the middle actually expecting to be ahead you've made a mistake against a decent player.

If he had pushed from UTG with 18 BB's that would just have been a stupid move, nothing more nothing less. yes he might have picked up the blinds here...but he would also have scared off any weaker holdings and KK/AA is laughing at you when you do and quite rightly so and then you're cursing at yourself for not even giving yourself the option to get out of the hand. even a big stack at the table would say "well, I've got JJ but I'll take that race now, thanks".

the one thing that slightly concerns me about your original post is that you say "you flung them in there without giving it too much thought" even though the only other hand you've seen her do it with was KK. Admittedly her range is MUCH bigger here but you have to give an oppo some credit when they re-raise you for all your chips and then you have to actively decide to fling them in there. Like I said, if you thought you were in a coin flip and wanted to take it that's fair enough but it wasn't neccesary.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Ecosse

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 12:18:15 AM »

Was I right to call ?

This scenario came up with me a at Cincinnati's a couple of weeks ago.

£25 freezout - 4 left from 23 runners

I'm big blind in 2nd spot chip wise with pocket 88's. Blinds 3000/6000

I min raise to 12000, one caller goes all in with 21K

He turns AK off, my hand holds to knock him out.

Bad Play ?
KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 01:30:21 AM »

Was I right to call ?

This scenario came up with me a at Cincinnati's a couple of weeks ago.

£25 freezout - 4 left from 23 runners

I'm big blind in 2nd spot chip wise with pocket 88's. Blinds 3000/6000

I min raise to 12000, one caller goes all in with 21K

He turns AK off, my hand holds to knock him out.

Bad Play ?

No u were getting 3 to 1 on your money and hopefully looking at 2 overs at worst for a coinflip, no way you fold!

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 02:31:26 AM »

If he had pushed from UTG with 18 BB's that would just have been a stupid move, nothing more nothing less. yes he might have picked up the blinds here...but he would also have scared off any weaker holdings and KK/AA is laughing at you when you do and quite rightly so and then you're cursing at yourself for not even giving yourself the option to get out of the hand. even a big stack at the table would say "well, I've got JJ but I'll take that race now, thanks".

Honestly i never read the whole post, i just assume you fold............
The part i highlight though is probably the (i'll be polite) strangest thing i have seen in , the fact is you need to push, everyone does with a HUGE range of hands at times otherwise you blind out.
We don't all get aces every hand unfortunately and so we don't always have the luxury of pushing with aces. Maybe pushing UTG with this hand isn't to your taste or anyone elses, i just said that's what i would do in this spot.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »

The part i highlight though is probably the (i'll be polite) strangest thing i have seen in , the fact is you need to push, everyone does with a HUGE range of hands at times otherwise you blind out.
We don't all get aces every hand unfortunately and so we don't always have the luxury of pushing with aces. Maybe pushing UTG with this hand isn't to your taste or anyone elses, i just said that's what i would do in this spot.

I probably would have called to be honest. I have no problem with his call here. I just don't like the push with 18 BB's I much prefer a raise of the size he made.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 07:12:41 AM »

I probably would have called to be honest. I have no problem with his call here. I just don't like the push with 18 BB's I much prefer a raise of the size he made.

A push utg for 18 bb's is out of the question.  The way it played out was fine.
pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 12:34:33 PM »

limp-re-raise all-in at this stage.

Is my favourite option.
JoeStrummer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 12:42:27 PM »

Nothing wrong with that IMHO. I personally would have called holding 77 I mean at the end of the day pushing all in with 77 to a standard size raise is asking for trouble BUT not unexpected. See you tonight if your there Matt.

“When you’re down on your chips, pick your spot and push. In fact I can’t remember the last time I was behind pre flop when I have done this; unfortunately the rest is up to the gods” A. Mason 2007
johnbhoy76

It's f***in boring after a while without the cards

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 04:42:12 PM »

Acid raised to 3k from UTG...a perfectly respectable raise. Her raise wassn't bad either. she could have raised to 9k and maybe get someone with a lesser holding than AK to fold but that also would have left the door open for him to move all in, which is what she wanted to avoid. Any raise higher than 9k would have meant "I'm gonna put all my chips in the middle no matter what" so she might aswell push in that case.

The call, well not much wrong with it if you're thinking she has a lower pair..maybe even a weaker Ace or AK...essentially everything other than KK/AA and you are willing to race for all your chips at this stage (which you don't have to do but OK) but you have to atleast think about her holdings before making the call. You surely have to know you're racing. If you make the choice to do so than that's fine..if you just fling your chips in the middle actually expecting to be ahead you've made a mistake against a decent player.

the one thing that slightly concerns me about your original post is that you say "you flung them in there without giving it too much thought" even though the only other hand you've seen her do it with was KK. Admittedly her range is MUCH bigger here but you have to give an oppo some credit when they re-raise you for all your chips and then you have to actively decide to fling them in there. Like I said, if you thought you were in a coin flip and wanted to take it that's fair enough but it wasn't neccesary.

Agree with every bit of that.

Good post.

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook
Yeah, yeah, yeah
johnbhoy76

It's f***in boring after a while without the cards

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »

Well to be honest that is utter insanity and flies in the face of any sort of basic poker thinking.

If we just go back to basics for a minute.

There are two things we want to happen when we make any raise

1) A worse hand to call
2) A better hand to fold

If the blinds are 600/1200 and I move all in for 21,000 UTG there is no way a hand worse than AK will call unless you are up against fellow maniacs.

You are only going to get action from the monster hands that have you in big trouble such as KK or AA.

So basically this move has two possible outcomes

1) you risk all your chips to pick up the blinds (bear in mind you are the Big blind next hand anyway! so a fat lot of good that has done you)
2) You race for all your chips against a better hand.

Why would any serious poker player be happy with either of those scenarios

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

Agree with everything that's been said about flat pushing being insanity.  I would be interested to hear at what point ur stack has to be to make this a push not a raise, do yo u play big pairs the same here (make it 3k) and which of these do you call the ladies shove with?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: