blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Can I get away from this hand considering the set-up?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can I get away from this hand considering the set-up?  (Read 1400 times)
Benny Brox

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:36:51 PM »

Hi all, long time viewer first time poster, your views would be much appreciated.

Small stakes cash game $0.10/$0.25 on FT. I've raised 4 of the last 6 pots and in general playing very aggressive as the table is extremely passive. I've been winning a few smallish pots and by raising a lot I've been waiting to get paid when I do get big hands - then this occurs:

Full Tilt Poker Game #2720370039: Table Ballinger - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:28:14 ET - 2007/06/20
Seat 1: Melmoth ($27.90)
Seat 2: VahvaOksa ($30.40)
Seat 3: Edjers11 ($25.85)
Seat 4: shoxwaken ($25.70)
Seat 5: Benney Wong ($19.55)
Seat 6: CFDE9 ($22.60)
Seat 7: TorgoPza ($14.90)
Seat 8: makingsomebank ($24.05)
Seat 9: Monument Sweden ($23.70)
makingsomebank posts the small blind of $0.10
Monument Sweden posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #7

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Benney Wong [ Ah]
Melmoth folds
VahvaOksa folds
Edjers11 folds
shoxwaken folds
Benney Wong raises to $1
CFDE9 calls $1
TorgoPza folds
makingsomebank folds
Monument Sweden folds
*** FLOP *** [ ]
Benney Wong checks
CFDE9 bets $2.35
Benney Wong has 15 seconds left to act
Benney Wong calls $2.35
*** TURN *** [ ] []
Benney Wong checks
CFDE9 bets $7.05
Benney Wong raises to $16.20, and is all in
CFDE9 calls $9.15
Benney Wong shows [ Ah]
CFDE9 shows [ ]
*** RIVER *** [ ] []
Benney Wong shows two pair, Aces and Eights
CFDE9 shows a full house, Eights full of Nines
CFDE9 wins the pot ($37.50) with a full house, Eights full of Nines
Benney Wong is sitting out

My questions are (surprise surprise) should I have re-raised all-in and could I have got away from this hand anyway considering the stakes, the flop, size of the pot and the previous raises from myself in other hands?.

I was hoping the table were taking note of me raising every other hand and so thought he would be playing back at me with a medium pair up to JJ and maybe A9 as the guy also bet the pot on the flop and the turn so I never put him on a hand as strong as a full house. I asked him why he bet so much to which he replied "You raised pre-flop so it's safe to put you on a high pair". Do all these small stake players think like that?

Within 10 hands I got dealt Kings, raised 4xbb, one caller, got my money in on a Q 10 x rainbow board after re-re-raising and then pot committed to an all-in only to run into pocket queens. I take it this is bad play on my part? Again I thought the guy was playing back at me due to my aggressiveness maybe with AQ.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:42:11 PM »

and welcome to Blonde.

After a quick glance at the hands, I think the second one is just unlucky (and I'd probably be sticking it in here as well), but that you might have been able to get away from the Aces.  I'll let some of the better players give their thoughts.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:19:35 PM »

I'm not sure I'd class myself as one of the better players, but I don't think you can get away from the second one (I think you want to get it all in here, and this is just one of the times when you're unlucky).

The first one - maybe you can get away if you lead out on the flop. If he calls or raises then you immediately get an idea that he's probably got a hand. If you check the turn and he bets out then, depending on your opponent, you can fold. I think part of the problem here is that because you let him take the lead in the betting you have no idea whether he's actually got a hand or whether he's just trying to take advantage of what he sees as your weakness.

Obviously he makes it difficult to keep the pot small by betting the flop where a lot of players would just check behind with a monster. As you say, odd that he assumes you've got a big pp if you've been raising so much. Maybe if you've been playing very aggressively post-flop as well, he thinks you'll try and take it off him on the flop or turn so leading out is his best chance of getting your whole stack. Or if you've typically been c-betting every flop, maybe your check sends signals that you think you're trapping him. Unlucky anyway.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:33:21 AM »

The first one - maybe you can get away if you lead out on the flop. If he calls or raises then you immediately get an idea that he's probably got a hand. If you check the turn and he bets out then, depending on your opponent, you can fold. I think part of the problem here is that because you let him take the lead in the betting you have no idea whether he's actually got a hand or whether he's just trying to take advantage of what he sees as your weakness.

Spot on.

Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »

Good advice above.

Your set up shows you to be a loose player, therefore you need to play  strongly to continue your loose image. Because you suddenly tightened up it is more likely to look suspicious and people will only put their chips in against you with hands that have you beat. You may still have lost a large amount of chips on this hand but an opponent with a hand like or a draw would also play strongly back at you if they think you are just being cheeky.

AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »

lead out at the flop and see if he has a genuine hand with that flop... call to a reraise and reasses on turn... then u can fold em when u KNOW from his play that he has hit the trips

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:53:02 AM »

betting gets you information, calling gets you skint, my mantra.
dime

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 11:24:07 AM »

I think you firstly let the pot get out of control by letting him take control of it. Raise or check-raise to get an idea of where you are in the pot on the flop, by milking the pot it just means it gets bigger until eventualy you "have to call" as you are getting such good odds.

Many players over-think and become quite self obsessed, trying suibtile little plays that noone is picking up on, particuly at these sort of levels. Its a good idea to be mindful on how others are perceving your play but don't try and project an image onto the table. You mention how you are playing but not how was he playing, which I thionk illistrates this point perfectly. Raising 4 out of 6  hands  is pretty aggressive but you might have just had good cards, he had possition over you so calling with 89 after he puts you on a high pair gives great expect value if he hits. Without raising it plays right into his hands, without definition on the hand it means its much hard to get away from.

Any two cards can win in Holdem, it also means any one person can win, the secreat is not only winning money but also not lossing money too. Although it seems conter intuitive, intelligent raising saves you money.
Benny Brox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »

Biggest fault there was, as most of you said, not taking the lead in the betting. Having AA & KK also clouded my usual rule of "Don't push with only one pair against gibraltars showing strength."

Thanks for the tips.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 09:17:45 PM »

this was one of the wisest things I have ever been told at the poker table..unfortunatly it took me a long time to truly understand it.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 01:52:33 PM »

How's the bankroll Alex?

Grin

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: