blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Bet sizing...thinning the field
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bet sizing...thinning the field  (Read 3440 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »

Sorry Tighty i wish to reply to this thread but i fear i would get banned again. I'll tell you my thoughts through MSN!

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you'd play it Flushy.  I'm sure others would too.  Can't see why that would get you banned - even if you disagree with everyone else and you think we're all donks.  We know that already!

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 05:50:09 PM »

Sorry Tighty i wish to reply to this thread but i fear i would get banned again. I'll tell you my thoughts through MSN!

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you'd play it Flushy.  I'm sure others would too.  Can't see why that would get you banned - even if you disagree with everyone else and you think we're all donks.  We know that already!

Let's just say that when i have AA i am not trying to build fold equity....

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »

I have insisted that Flushy posts, as he makes sense. Ont his at least.

I will stand guarantor that he will be looked after by the LOL Modaments team

just no use of the word ****. or **** for that matter.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 05:57:46 PM »

How would you play AK in the same situation?
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »

Differently.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »

Differently.

OK - would you push with AK - would you push with 7c8c?

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »

If you raise 2k we know that the shortie will commit his remaining chips.

Therefore...

I think theres is argument in raising to 2k, this then allows utg to shove all in and then committs the rest. When it gets back to you, you can shove 2nd time around with alot more in the pot.

....is not a move that will be possible following an under-raise.

If you push you will be playing your A-A against the shortie heads-up for 9k.

Considering the average stack is 6.5K and winning this sizeable pot would take you to 16,400 in chips the necessity to get cute is rather questionable in my book. The under-raise would allow the other limpers to see a flop for a guaranteed 2.6k and you could find yourself in multi-way action with other players that are heavily invested and committed to the implied odds. Do you need to take this risk? Not really. So I push all day long here and take the minimum risk in order to put myself in a commanding position in the tournament.

You may even get action from another pp who puts you on A-K and fancies the gamble.

Tournament play is all about risk and reward. In this situation you risk 2,600 chips with an 82% chance of winning a 9k pot and an opportunity to become the dominant force at the table. Seems like a reasonable tournament gamble to me.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 07:14:04 PM »

Pushing looks like AK and might entice hero callers with medium pairs. JJ/1010/99 might feel like racing hoping shortie also has an A.
And the pot is deffo big enough to warrant taking down right now.

I like the push best for deception and pot size.
AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 08:20:46 PM »

push is deceiving and def gunna get in the short stack although u may geta middle pair 99+ calling u maybe even AK as they think ur trying to steal the pot right now!

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
seven2unsuited

josepebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 09:05:20 PM »

fold
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 03:19:36 AM »

All-in, pre, no question. It's up to the others then. I ain't fussed what they do.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 03:24:28 AM »

If you raise 2k we know that the shortie will commit his remaining chips.

Therefore...

I think theres is argument in raising to 2k, this then allows utg to shove all in and then committs the rest. When it gets back to you, you can shove 2nd time around with alot more in the pot.

....is not a move that will be possible following an under-raise.

Erm if my reading comprehension is right i think it wouldn't be an underraise if we make it 2k.

Utg has made it 800 with 2.6k back.

So if we make it 2k total, then we are making it 800 with 1200. So the raise is technically 1200, then utg if he shove his 2600 is making a raise of 1400 (while calling the 1200). So no under raise has taken place.
The_Diamond

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 03:31:19 AM »

I think there's a very good argument for just shoving. It does make your hand look a lot like AK and may invite a call from TT+ Even if you raise to say 4K I really don't think you are increasing the chances of getting action from those hands. If anything I think you lessen your chances of getting called by making a pot sized raise.

Put your self in the openers spot with JJ if you shove. It's really tough to lay JJ, or QQ down but If you make a standard reraise I think I would make a standard fold. in his position, but if you shove I probably cry. And since you are increasing your stack by nearly 40% every time there is no showdown the shove is in no way an overbet and you're still pretty happy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:34:01 AM by The_Diamond » Logged

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »

Posted by: Longy
Erm if my reading comprehension is right i think it wouldn't be an underraise if we make it 2k.

Quite right Longy. All the other posts were saying raise 2k but your post suggests raising TO 2k so I see the point...must have mis-read it. Very good strategy if it could be pulled off.

Still prefer the push though. Many other posters have suggested that an all-in disguises the true strength of the hand and I am inclined to agree with this. Far less risky as well.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 06:15:01 PM »

Without bothering to work it out, raise enough so the short stack can push, everyone else can call, and then you can push. If he doesn't push then ur raise probably won't get rid of everyone but hey play to win, don't take away the other players donking options by pushing.

IF you aren't feeling so bold, raise  around 2-3 or so, you have AA late in a tournament, it's a good opportunity to win alot of chips you just don't get that often. Pushing eliminates the option of a hero identifying and acting on ur steal, sure they may think ur raise looks like a steal, but the last 2 callers before u don't have hands capable of calling your all in, you want more than the short stacks stack anyway. Take a chance and give others chances to "outplay" you.

Everyone is saying the push disguises the strength of ur hand. Maybe it doesn't look like AA sure, but it is still very very difficult for anyone else to call and given there are players to act after the first caller after the shortstack is going to have serious problems doing anything with JJ possibly QQ, especially if shorty goes for it, the other two players behind him as i've said almost certainly have hands with "flopability", but no all in pre value.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:21:59 PM by Tragic » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: