blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:03:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272607 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 1171 1172 [1173] 1174 1175 1176 1177 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6332109 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17580 on: February 16, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »

I am constantly stunned by the level of ingrained racism that is present in a supposedly modern day society. (I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I almost always am).

I come across it nearly every day - the Golf Club that we were both members of, always struck me as a prime example. If people were telling jokes in the bar, it was inevitable that some would involve extreme racism.

At work the same.
I have spent some time over the last few days with a girl from my department, whose daughter has had some problems with a boy at school.
The boy is from a family of Asian descent.
It has taken me at least 2 chats with this lady (who is a v.nice lady in every other respect), to get past the fact that the family is of Asian descent, and to focus on what the issues are.

It is no surprise that the BNP has some momentum - it is deeply ingrained, and I think it will take at least one more generation for the situation to improve significantly.

Yes, Royal Ormonde was, like almost all Golf Clubs, covertly & institutionally racist.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #17581 on: February 16, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »

I am constantly stunned by the level of ingrained racism that is present in a supposedly modern day society. (I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I almost always am).

I come across it nearly every day - the Golf Club that we were both members of, always struck me as a prime example. If people were telling jokes in the bar, it was inevitable that some would involve extreme racism.

At work the same.
I have spent some time over the last few days with a girl from my department, whose daughter has had some problems with a boy at school.
It has taken me at least 2 chats with this lady (who is a v.nice lady in every other respect), to get past the fact that the family is of Asian descent, and to focus on what the issues are.

It is no surprise that the BNP has some momentum - it is deeply ingrained, and I think it will take at least one more generation for the situation to improve significantly.

Yes, Royal Ormonde was, like almost all Golf Clubs, covertly & institutionally racist.

If that's all there is to the golf course story I have been widely mis-informed. FML.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17582 on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:39 PM »

At work the same.

If that's all there is to the golf course story I have been widely mis-informed. FML.

Let it go!

It's just one of those things  wish I had never mentioned. I'd like to tell the tale, but it seems a bit "off", it was only 7 or 8 years ago. Not sure that would be deemed "right & proper", I'm in a different generation to Mr pleno & Co.

And anyway, it might queer my pitch for future "adventure" escapades.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17583 on: February 16, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »

Could you please stop making posts like this. I prefer to think of you as fat, jolly, and simple.

I can't remember ever being jolly - I think you have mistaken me for someone else.

I remember you being pretty jovial that time the valet accidentally gave you someone else's cheesy chips.

The older I get, the better I was.
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #17584 on: February 16, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »

At work the same.

Let it go!

It's just one of those things  wish I had never mentioned. I'd like to tell the tale, but it seems a bit "off", it was only 7 or 8 years ago. Not sure that would be deemed "right & proper", I'm in a different generation to Mr pleno & Co.

Don't be ridic - when do you ever go outside? ;-)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17585 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »

At work the same.

Let it go!

You can do "adventure" indoors, imo.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17586 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »

Tony dining alfresco.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17587 on: February 16, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »

Tony dining alfresco.

Ooh, great picture Tom. Fish & Chips from the local chippie.

Gotta go, today's second helping of salad awaits.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17588 on: February 16, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »

The BNP had to hold a Meeting on Sunday to formally confirm that "non-whites" could be Members, so as to avoid a Court injunction.

So, legally, they now admit non-whites. It does not change their vile thinking, however, not one bit. I'd love 3 milion "non-whites" to sign up & to block all their manifestos & Resolutions. That'd be well cool. BNP, the Party of Non-Whites.

Meanwhile, The Times Dominic Kennedy was amongst a whole bevy of Journos invited to attend, to help spread the "non-racist" BNP gospel. He did not stay long, after the BNP, objecting to a piece he had recently written, politely asked him to vacate the premises.

http://lancasteruaf.blogspot.com/2010/02/bnps-constitutional-change-means.html

They now have fake black members...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17589 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »

And here's the adorable BNP Leader, Mr Nick Griffin.

...and here's the 'non-racist' as a younger man, when he was also a racist.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17590 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:35 PM »

The BNP had to hold a Meeting on Sunday to formally confirm that "non-whites" could be Members, so as to avoid a Court injunction.

So, legally, they now admit non-whites. It does not change their vile thinking, however, not one bit. I'd love 3 milion "non-whites" to sign up & to block all their manifestos & Resolutions. That'd be well cool. BNP, the Party of Non-Whites.

Meanwhile, The Times Dominic Kennedy was amongst a whole bevy of Journos invited to attend, to help spread the "non-racist" BNP gospel. He did not stay long, after the BNP, objecting to a piece he had recently written, politely asked him to vacate the premises.

http://lancasteruaf.blogspot.com/2010/02/bnps-constitutional-change-means.html

They now have fake black members...

If that's true, that's about as sick as it gets.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17591 on: February 16, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »

The racist attitude has changed, & improved, a lot, in recent years. Not enough though, there are some sick folks still around. Which touches on another memory that was jolted to the front of my memory yesterday - society's attitude towards homosexualuity. But I'll return to that.

For now, cars.....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17592 on: February 16, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »

Sorting out the car yesterday, I did a memory lane thing, & went through all the Cars I've had.

Here's my first. A "sit up & beg" Ford Popular, cost me £80, Insurance was £65 Third Party, Fire & Theft, & I paid for the insurance quarterly. I think the Road Tax was £25 per annum.

I passed my driving test in it, & loved it, I would sit in it all day, it was my dream.

Every weekend was service time, rotate the wheels corner to corner, (crossply tyres) check the brake druums, oil & water, tappets, fan belts, contact breakers, carburettor (rich/weak needles) & carburettot flioats, air filters, top up the Radweld, all needed weekly attention.  Or so we thought. And we never used garages, everybody fixed their own cars.

After I passed my test, I went with some mates to a pub in Wembley Park, "The Century". When we came out, the car had been nicked, fml.

I rung the Police, reported it, what a bummer!

We started walking down the hill back to the office, in Brook Avenue, by Wembley Park Station, lo & behold, there was my car, parked at a crazy angle against a wall. I'd forgotten to put the hndbrake on, & it had rolled away, God bless it.

Here's a similar model, (though mine never had indicators, it had semaphore arms) exhibiting my pet hate - old cars should not be shiny clean, it's just wrong. Grand car though, & I went all over the country in it. Three speed box, no synchro, air-operated wiper, 55mph downhll on a good day, & 0-60 iin 20 minutes flat. To fix the engine, open the bonnet, & step in, & one fella could stand either side of the engine with feet on the floor.

In a weird way, the best car I ever owned. Reg no VDT 645.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:38:54 PM by tikay » Logged

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17593 on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

Tony, I owe you an apology. When I asked you if you remembered  seeing Dick Francis ride in the flesh I didnt realise he retired in the 50's. I thought he had gone on much longer than that, I wasn't taking the mickey either.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17594 on: February 16, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »

My next car, Morris Minor 1000, reg no 6667 MM.

My first "new-generation" car, very posh. Loved it.

But I mistakenly used the wrong brake-fluid in it ione day, & if you ever mixed Girling brake fluid with Lockheed brake fluid it rotted all the seals on the hydraulic lines, & was incurable.

So my brakes were shot, & my daily commute round the North Circular was a bit hairy, as I had to pump the brakes 8 or 10 times before any retardation occurred.

The half-axle broke eventually, as it did on most Morris Minors, & that was that, kaput.

Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 1171 1172 [1173] 1174 1175 1176 1177 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: