blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2003 2004 2005 2006 [2007] 2008 2009 2010 2011 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6332587 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30090 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »

I was reading through the Tips for Tikay fred (as you kidz call it) the other day and it seemed to me that it was picking up a lot of posts that would previously have been here.

the tales of betting coups and characters are so good to read and the standard of reportage of such things is so high that it almost seems a shame that they are there and likely to be read only 'in their moment' rather than being somewhere they have more chance of being seen again. There used to be a 'Best of Red' thread/fred, maybe there should be a 'Best of Tips for Tikay'?

(Reply also addressed to Tom, who made a similar point).

I'm not sure how to address that, though I'm flattered of course.

I do those little stories next door because they are in context with what is happening, so they sort of fit with the timeline, whereas if I put then on the Diary, they'd not make much sense as to order & timeline.

I could Post them in both, but that seems a shade narcissistic.

What would you suggest?

I could write those daft little stories, with photos to brighten them up, all day & all night.

The odd thing (perhaps not so odd....) is that they almost never attract comment or replies, & yet I know people read them, as they tell me when I meet them in real life. Both of them.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30091 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »

Todays "The Times" reports that this guy is in the new "Guinness Book of Records" as having the biggest guns.

Eat your heart out snoopy.

Shame Lord Cos is not still here, he might dispute this guy's claims. Such a shame Cos left us, he could be a PITA at times, but I enjoyed having him around, like a proper Sheriff in town. I understood why he abandoned ship, of course. A real shame.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30092 on: September 14, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »

I don't get much abuse on 861

Yeah, sorry about that - I haven't been watching much lately.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30093 on: September 14, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »

I don't get much abuse on 861

Yeah, sorry about that - I haven't been watching much lately.

FML.

We miss Dr Marbles.

Anyway, you can abuse me all you like - you abuse with such subtlety, class & taste. It's almost a compliment to be abused by you, you do it so well. Can't see you ever being the "you are a right tosser" type.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:09:59 PM by tikay » Logged

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30094 on: September 14, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »

Todays "The Times" reports that this guy is in the new "Guinness Book of Records" as having the biggest guns.

Shame Lord Cos is not still here, he might dispute this guy's claims. Such a shame Cos left us, he could be a PITA at times, but I enjoyed having him around, like a proper Sheriff in town. I understood why he abandoned ship, of course. A real shame.

That's what my arms looked like whenever the new Freemans catalogue got delivered.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #30095 on: September 14, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »

I was reading through the Tips for Tikay fred (as you kidz call it) the other day and it seemed to me that it was picking up a lot of posts that would previously have been here.

the tales of betting coups and characters are so good to read and the standard of reportage of such things is so high that it almost seems a shame that they are there and likely to be read only 'in their moment' rather than being somewhere they have more chance of being seen again. There used to be a 'Best of Red' thread/fred, maybe there should be a 'Best of Tips for Tikay'?

I do those little stories next door because they are in context with what is happening, so they sort of fit with the timeline, whereas if I put then on the Diary, they'd not make much sense as to order & timeline.

What would you suggest?

I could write those daft little stories, with photos to brighten them up, all day & all night.

The odd thing (perhaps not so odd....) is that they almost never attract comment or replies, & yet I know people read them, as they tell me when I meet them in real life. Both of them.

There are other people posting stories in the T4T fred...
All are relevant to the topic being debated at the time in there, but so easily missed amongst the talk of hooks and handles.

Best of T4T Tales from the Rails?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30096 on: September 14, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »

What would you suggest?

There are other people posting stories in the T4T fred...
All are relevant to the topic being debated at the time in there, but so easily missed amongst the talk of hooks and handles.

Best of T4T Tales from the Rails?

I did very much enjoy the betting lingo discussion yesterday.

buying the hook

splitting the handle

Packer Backer

Whatever happened to the shilling each way cross double?

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30097 on: September 14, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »

Not as big as the sicilians. Well, not in his mind anyway.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30098 on: September 14, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »

What if?

(Warning - may contain spam).

http://bit.ly/OnxeRA

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #30099 on: September 14, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »

5th December when the Rodeo finals are on.

Watched the show last night when it was on SS4. Did Anna really forget to add an entry to your competition from Pen15 or did she misread it on her ipad? Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #30100 on: September 14, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »

i as proper guns...these just look weird...sculptured and proportion please

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #30101 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »

i as proper guns...these just look weird...sculptured and proportion please

Whats amazing about this is how do you build your biceps up to be that big and still have puny forearms?

Ah! The element of surprise
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #30102 on: September 14, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »

Thanks for advice about Hampton Court. I am going next Friday so will report back.

You always seen to have a serious attitude to interweb abuse. Interweb abuse is the same as booing the panto villain when he arrives on stage. It's like hecklers at a comedy show. I remember striding up onto stage one karioke night in front of a packed house. I was very drunk which caused me to momentarily forget I can't sing a lick. So sure there boos, too many actually as the performance had some merit. But what do you do? Do you get very serious about the abuse and the hatred in people's eyes? Or do you just carry on belting out It's Not Unusual to the best of your ability and add in a few spins for effect?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #30103 on: September 14, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »

http://www.chiselandmouse.com/architectural-models.html

Thought you might like this Tikay.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30104 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »

As indicated on the Tips Fred, I turned on the proculvision* this evening to the channel you and his Royal Tightiness were presenting.

On the first such flick, TightEnd uses the word "ceded"

On the second, Tikay is discussing iambic pentameter. This makes me go slightly funny at the knees. Metre is so important in Shakespeare. I had a wonderful conversation with an old college friend about this the other day. Him from a position of incredible knowledge; me from a comparable level of enthusiasm and a fraction of the knowledge.

I could discuss this stuff for months without ever getting bored. An incredibly gifted writer but it is only when you really get into the detail that you appreciate just how good he was.

*television - the name is half Latin and half Greek; I chose the Latin

I have really tried, but I just cannot "get" Shakespeare, it's all a bit above me. I don't doubt, though, that he was extremely gifted.

Been a busy day at work, so been out of action today. There's a fair bit I can say on this, really, if only from an amateur perspective. I appreciate that it is difficult to convince people, including where – as you have suggested – you are happy to assume he was brilliant, but you just don’t get it yourself (I’m the same with Verdi – does nothing for me, but obviously brilliant).

Before that, it might be an idea if I explain that iambic pentameter is a way of writing a single line of a poem. Take a limerick. You say the words in a particular way - “There was an old man from Venus”. You put emphasis: there WAS an old MAN from VEnus. An iamb is a der-DUM and in iambic pentameter you have five of them per line: der-DUM der-DUM der-DUM der-DUM der-DUM. Like a heartbeat. Say:

Unlock the door and bring the dustbin in.

You put emphasis on parts of the words naturally (unLOCK the DOOR and BRING the DUSTbin IN) and that’s exactly what Shakespeare understood brilliantly.

More detail another time. Possibly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:22:21 AM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 ... 2003 2004 2005 2006 [2007] 2008 2009 2010 2011 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: