blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:28:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3206 3207 3208 3209 [3210] 3211 3212 3213 3214 ... 3776 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6285641 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #48135 on: May 02, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »

Agree would of been shame if sniggy higgins won, cheating ****

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48136 on: May 02, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »

So Tighty, atdc & Marky147  - & I daresay many others beside - all wanted Higgins to lose, because you think he is a wrong 'un & behaved disgracefully over that bribery thing.

Add me to that list.

Problem is, hating on others is not something any of us should be particularly proud of. Unless of course, we are 100% sure of the facts.

It still niggles away at the back of my mind that if the facts were as so many suggest, its odd that the rest of the pros seem to get along with him, & indeed speak highly of him. In addition, during the TV coverage, I never heard one bad word about Higgins, & at least while I was watching, they never even mentioned the bribery case. It was all "he's a jolly good fellow".

I'm inclined to ignore what was said (or unsaid) on the TV transmissions during this year's World Championships, sports based TV shows are not exactly long on intelligence or good judgement, it's very much "tell the viewers what they want to hear" bollox.

Not so the fact that his fellow pros, who, on the face of it should refuse to even shake his hand, all seemed luvvy-duvvy towards him. Even the likes of Ronnie, who can be a bit blunt.

So during one interval, I went googling, & found an interesting article.

My question to the doubters (assuming they have 10 mins to spare, as it is a lengthy piece) is please read this;

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/09/21/revealed-why-john-higgins-was-cleared-of-match-fixing-because-the-evidence-including-a-statement-from-mazher-mahmood-told-the-full-story-210901/

After reading that, do we still all feel Higgins was bang to rights, slightly less so in that he just handled it badly, or even, perish the thought, innocent?

Or, does that article maybe shed some doubt into our thinking?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #48137 on: May 02, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »

I don't hate him. I just didn't want the twat to win Grin

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48138 on: May 02, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

Ha.

Pretty much the way I felt, too.

I'm wobbling now though. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48139 on: May 02, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »

It's not every day that Hartlepool makes the news, or blonde, but the world's largest ship arrived there yesterday.

Quite a beast it is, too, a sort of catamaran-based monster that is 130 metres wide & nearly 400 yards long, which lifts, commissions & decommissions oil rigs.

It cost $3 billion, but looks like being profitable, as it is booked up for 3 years, & its owners have just ordered an identical twin.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #48140 on: May 02, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »

Ha.

I'm wobbling now though. 

I can never quite forget him volunteering "I've got a place in Spain" when he was asked how he proposed to dispose of the ill-gotten cash.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #48141 on: May 02, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »

Ha.

I'm wobbling now though. 

I can never quite forget him volunteering "I've got a place in Spain" when he was asked how he proposed to dispose of the ill-gotten cash.

You seriously think that someone, who is at the top of his profession, who has never been involved in match-fixing and goes to a meeting that he believes is about sponsorship, is genuinely going to start fixing matches after a ten minute meeting?

Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48142 on: May 02, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »

I used to know the lad a while back, I would be very surprised if he was guilty of more than being criminally naive but looks like a lot of you must have a lot more information than I have came across.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #48143 on: May 02, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »

Ha.

I'm wobbling now though. 

You seriously think that someone, who is at the top of his profession, who has never been involved in match-fixing and goes to a meeting that he believes is about sponsorship, is genuinely going to start fixing matches after a ten minute meeting?

I must admit that I was truly shocked when it came about, but JH was very convincing as a willing accomplice in the filmed discussion.

Are you saying that Mooney his business partner/manager was also duped or was he in on the sting?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #48144 on: May 02, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »

Ha.

I'm wobbling now though. 

I must admit that I was truly shocked when it came about, but JH was very convincing as a willing accomplice in the filmed discussion.

Are you saying that Mooney his business partner/manager was also duped or was he in on the sting?

The now gladly closed down NoW admitted that they had no grounds for suspecting Higgins and told both Higgins and his manager that the discussion was about sponsorship.  Higgins maintained that he simply played along for fear of his own safety.  I recall being warned not to add Kiev to my list of poker destinations due to the many "bandeetes" and mafia types.  I can see quite easily why Higgins would have felt the need to seem convincing.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48145 on: May 03, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »

where is this yesterday?

and then,name the town mid picture and the town in the distance?

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48146 on: May 03, 2017, 10:51:27 AM »

Blimey, that's tough, & probably a trick question.

I'll start with;

1) Brighton Racecourse.

2) Brighton

3) Shoreham

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48147 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »

I'll start with;

1) Brighton Racecourse.

2) Brighton

3) Shoreham

1 and 2 correct

I am told 3) is Worthing, 15miles away

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48148 on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »

I'll start with;

1) Brighton Racecourse.

2) Brighton

3) Shoreham

1 and 2 correct

I am told 3) is Worthing, 15miles away

The wonder of a fore-shortened lens I guess. Does not look anything like 15 miles, does it?

FWIW, Shoreham - which has a very nice power station - is between Brighton & Worthing, I'd guess maybe 10 miles from Brighton.

I'd guess the tall chimney visible far right is Shoreham Power Station. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48149 on: May 03, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »

Didn't have Eurosport last year but agree beats BBCs stale commentary hands down .
Just so much more raw and to the point without telling us how great every player is every 5 minutes.
Seems like commentators speak more naturally allowing just enough of their personality to come through.
You missed out Neil Foulds, quality pointing out technical stuff when appropriate but also on the ball with the rest of it too.

I also wonder if Rob Walker got credit for Barry "The Hawk" Hawkins or my favourite Robert "The Milkman" Milkins !

Hi Rob,

Yup, Neil Foulds was pretty good, too. I thought the Eurosport coverage - Colin Murray excepted - was far superior to the BBC. In truth, not much between Colin Murray and Hazel Irvine, both of them do that non-stop eulogising.

Crucible is great, snooker is great, that shot was great, everything is great.

Same when the Masters Golf is on, everything single thing about it is great.

And we agree, it is great, for the most part, but we really don't need telling every 5 seconds, we do have the capacity to think for ourselves.

Matt Chapman on ITV Racing is another - watch horse racing here on ITV he keeps telling us. Why tell us to watch it on ITV? We have no farking choice.

Pages: 1 ... 3206 3207 3208 3209 [3210] 3211 3212 3213 3214 ... 3776 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: