blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3384 3385 3386 3387 [3388] 3389 3390 3391 3392 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6295925 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50805 on: November 24, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »

A piece of me is hoping that Mr Ryanair-Fanboy has booked with them, but this is surely a brag.

Why on Earth would Easyjet have two flights to Milan at 7? 

Milan Malpensa - the official, or main airport for Milan, is 30 miles from the city, whereas Linate is just 3 miles from Milan.

The problem is that as Linate is so close to the City Centre, the number of flights is severely restricted due to political lobbying & environmental issues.

So everyone prefers Linate, but demand far exceeds supply (of slots).   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #50806 on: November 24, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »

It goes beyond that also, I fly to Italy every couple of months with work. It depends where in Italy you are going to after as there are 3 airports in Milan and they are at different sides of the city, so depending on whether you are going North, south to the lakes or whatever some are easier than others for those reasons also....
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50807 on: November 24, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »

Thanksgiving in Switzerland?

Sort of. We are having our thanksgiving dinner today, actually.

Switzerland, yes. Flew to Zurich Airport, train to Lucerne, boat trip around part of Lake Lucerne, train to Zurich City Centre, shopped in the Christkindlimarkt then back home. 

Jeez, for food, & bits & bobs, Zurich must be THE most expensive city I've ever visited.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50808 on: November 24, 2017, 11:38:51 AM »

Switzerland is, as you'd expect, beautifully clean, no litter & everything seemingly well-organised.

The oddity is that people can smoke (cigarettes) freely anywhere, including the Railway Station, Airport & so on.

Seemed VERY odd indeed. Had me climbing up the walls, too. 

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50809 on: November 24, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »

Looks like just a pair of specs to me

Trevor knows.

A pair of spectacles, no more, no less.

I sent this photo to the lab for further analysis and I am now prepared to accept the 'unusually poncey' glasses explanation.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50810 on: November 24, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »

Looks like just a pair of specs to me

Trevor knows.

A pair of spectacles, no more, no less.

I sent this photo to the lab for further analysis and I am now prepared to accept the 'unusually poncey' glasses explanation.

Decoded = he asked Mrs Red.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50811 on: November 24, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »

Switzerland, yes. Flew to Zurich Airport, train to Lucerne, boat trip around part of Lake Lucerne, train to Zurich City Centre, shopped in the Christkindlimarkt then back home. 

Jeez, for food, & bits & bobs, Zurich must be THE most expensive city I've ever visited.

I went to Zurich. The loo in the station cost €1to use but it only took €2 coins and didn't give change.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50812 on: November 24, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »

I went to Zurich. The loo in the station cost €1to use but it only took €2 coins and didn't give change.

At Lucerne station a wee costs €1.50. No idea if it gave change though, everyone seemed to do the "hold the door open for the next person" trick.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50813 on: November 24, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »

Which is jolly nice, of course, well done them. But surely it's pure instinct?

It gets better though;

It was once awarded to a cat. Why?

[i] HMS Amethyst's ship's cat, awarded for "gallantry under fire" and for the disposal of many rats despite shrapnel injuries during the Yangtze Incident in 1949 [/i]

All rather odd really.

I'm delighted for all those brave dogs, horses, pigeons & (solitary) cat, of course I am. And feel-good stories beat those dreadful "girl scarred for life in acid attack" stuff we see every day.  

But awards for bravery for pigeons & cats?

I'm struggling a bit with that.

Oh, & in case you think I'm making all this up, here you go, look for yourself;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal

I found this especially interesting Mr T. My father was the navigator on HMS London which was the ship that was sent up the Yangtse to rescue HMS Amethyst. He never spoke about the really brave cat that he helped rescue though.

[/quote]

What an extraordinary story that Amethyst incident was, I was completely unaware of it until you & Mr Tal mentioned it.

This is well worth a read;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethyst_Incident

Here's HMS London bearing, I assume, the battle scars of the Yangtze incident;

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50814 on: November 24, 2017, 02:18:56 PM »

Switzerland is, as you'd expect, beautifully clean, no litter & everything seemingly well-organised.

The oddity is that people can smoke (cigarettes) freely anywhere, including the Railway Station, Airport & so on.

Seemed VERY odd indeed. Had me climbing up the walls, too. 

I have enjoyed smoking Havana cigars for many years although I hardly ever indulge these days, but 15 or so years ago, believe it or not they were far cheaper if I imported them from from Switzerland, about half the price I would have to pay for them in the UK.

The Swiss Franc at that time was trading at 2.44SF/£1GBP - my how times have changed.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50815 on: November 24, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »

Poncho

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50816 on: November 24, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »

Pancho

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50817 on: November 24, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50818 on: November 24, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50819 on: November 24, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3384 3385 3386 3387 [3388] 3389 3390 3391 3392 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: