blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:13:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3393 3394 3395 3396 [3397] 3398 3399 3400 3401 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6330627 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50940 on: December 18, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »

I used to work with lady who was the wife of a member of Wizzard. She bloody loved Christmas I tell you! Cha-ching

That would work well on Chris Evans Top Tenuous.

Oddly, the thread has gone full circle, as the topic sort of started with ELO, of which Roy Wood of Wizzard was a founder member I believe.

Am really surprised that Wizzard one is not listed in Tighty's Top UK Earners list.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #50941 on: December 18, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »

Every year at this time you’ll hear his song played on radios across the country.
I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday is such a festive favourite that Wizzard singer Roy Wood came to consider the sizeable annual royalty payments as his pension.
But now, he says, the 1973 hit makes him only a fraction of the money it once did – because illegal downloads mean that anyone who wants to hear it can access it for free online.
Asked on Radio 4’s Today programme how much the song made him every year, the 68-year-old said yesterday: ‘Not as much as it used to.
‘With the invention of downloads, with a record such as mine it’s just too easy to find a way of getting it for nothing and then we don’t get paid for it.’
He added: ‘I thought originally that was going to be my pension, but no. I was speaking to my daughter about it – she is more of an age group that knows about that kind of thing – and she said with a song as prominent as that, there are too many ways to get it free.’

The song is currently at number 35 in the charts and has broken into the top 50 every year since 2007 thanks to a change in how the charts are put together, with downloads now counted as sales even when a physical CD has not been released into shops.

(from 2014 btw)

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50942 on: December 18, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »

Every year at this time you’ll hear his song played on radios across the country.
I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday is such a festive favourite that Wizzard singer Roy Wood came to consider the sizeable annual royalty payments as his pension.
But now, he says, the 1973 hit makes him only a fraction of the money it once did – because illegal downloads mean that anyone who wants to hear it can access it for free online.
Asked on Radio 4’s Today programme how much the song made him every year, the 68-year-old said yesterday: ‘Not as much as it used to.
‘With the invention of downloads, with a record such as mine it’s just too easy to find a way of getting it for nothing and then we don’t get paid for it.’
He added: ‘I thought originally that was going to be my pension, but no. I was speaking to my daughter about it – she is more of an age group that knows about that kind of thing – and she said with a song as prominent as that, there are too many ways to get it free.’

The song is currently at number 35 in the charts and has broken into the top 50 every year since 2007 thanks to a change in how the charts are put together, with downloads now counted as sales even when a physical CD has not been released into shops.

(from 2014 btw)

Yes, understand all that, but why does it affect Wizzard but not Slade, The Pogues and the others?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #50943 on: December 18, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »

Annual U.K. Royalties for Popular
Christmas Songs.

Slade £512,000
The Pogues £400,000
Mariah Carey £376,000
Bing Crosby £328,000
Wham! £300,000
Paul McCartney £260,000
Cliff Richard £100,000
Jona Lewie £120,000
The Pretenders £102,000
East 17 £97,000

Surprised by the figures for Cliff. Thought he had a few Xmas number 1's?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50944 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »

Annual U.K. Royalties for Popular
Christmas Songs.

Slade £512,000
The Pogues £400,000
Mariah Carey £376,000
Bing Crosby £328,000
Wham! £300,000
Paul McCartney £260,000
Cliff Richard £100,000
Jona Lewie £120,000
The Pretenders £102,000
East 17 £97,000

Surprised by the figures for Cliff. Thought he had a few Xmas number 1's?

I can't actually think of one that keeps coming back every year though.

It's catchy classics that provide the pension.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #50945 on: December 18, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »

I used to work with lady who was the wife of a member of Wizzard. She bloody loved Christmas I tell you! Cha-ching

That would work well on Chris Evans Top Tenuous.

Oddly, the thread has gone full circle, as the topic sort of started with ELO, of which Roy Wood of Wizzard was a founder member I believe.

Am really surprised that Wizzard one is not listed in Tighty's Top UK Earners list.

Apart from 1973 its tended to scuttle along near the bottom of the charts on re-release

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #50946 on: December 18, 2017, 07:23:32 PM »

(from 2014 btw)

Yes, understand all that, but why does it affect Wizzard but not Slade, The Pogues and the others?

I just don't think it has anywhere near the ongoing popularity of the main ones.

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50947 on: December 18, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »

(from 2014 btw)

I just don't think it has anywhere near the ongoing popularity of the main ones.

Pfft.

As that bloke wrote on Blue Moon on Sunday in reply to "what does 21 mean?".....

GET OUT

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #50948 on: December 18, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »

I'm going I'm going Smiley

Best Bitter.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50949 on: December 18, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »

Fantastic piece at the end of Ch4 News this evening hosted by John Snow.

Ralph McTell singing "Streets of London" backed by a homeless choir live - wonderful.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #50950 on: December 18, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »

Over 30 years ago Roy Wood used to come to my dads fish and chip shop in his Rolls Royce. Last time I saw him about 20 years ago he was driving a battered old Mini Metro.

Ah! The element of surprise
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #50951 on: December 18, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »

Over 30 years ago Roy Wood used to come to my dads fish and chip shop in his Rolls Royce. Last time I saw him about 20 years ago he was driving a battered old Mini Metro.

Expensive Fish & Chips!

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #50952 on: December 19, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »

Expensive Fish & Chips!

Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #50953 on: December 19, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »

Strangely was drinking with the drummer from Altered Images last night, he was discussing royalties and bemoaning the decision not to include 'the shite Xmas song' on one of their albums for that very reason.

I suppose Happy Birthday must bring them in a few quid.

Anyway in sympathy every youtube click gives them x of a penny....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50954 on: December 20, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »

In the episode of the music series Trailblazer on BBC Four which featured Dance, this young lady featured prominently.

Who is she, & how old is she? The photo was taken last year.

Click to see full-size image.

Pages: 1 ... 3393 3394 3395 3396 [3397] 3398 3399 3400 3401 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: