blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3396 3397 3398 3399 [3400] 3401 3402 3403 3404 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6335126 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50985 on: December 23, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »

I just remembered Nic Szeremeta and his daughter Kate also played in that tourney as did Des Wilson.

Yes, that would figure, as Nic & Kate live in Torquay. I see that Nic, who is now in his mid-seventies, is still cashing in little MTT's here & there, 5 of them this year so far in places such as Birmingham, Torquay & Vienna.

I seem to remember that Kate had a bizarre & very public spat with Miss Coren, over the misinterpretation of a tattoo of all things. The tattoo was on Kate's person, & Vicky mentioned it in her wonderful FRFP book. Lord knows how it all got so out of hand.

Des Wilson lived down that way, too, quite a bit further west in fact, in North Cornwall. I spent a weekend as his guest at his beautiful cottage, & we played a charity poker tournament in the local WMC. There were 100 runners. of whom 93 were related. Not heard from Des in ages, hope he is OK - he's 76. Wonderful man, &, arguably, saved the lives of many thousands of people by lobbying for lead free petrol.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50986 on: December 23, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »

Apropos nothing particular, I was searching google images for something this afternoon & chanced across this photo.

Bit of a memory-jogger, this.

Very very early days of DTD when they had the race-track around the tables to enable huge chip-stacking tekkers which I almost certainly never took advantage of.

"Chip stacking tekkers" reminded me of one of my favourite photos ever.

Miss Mason, who was not awfully well the next morning. But a good few bob better off.

That was the Blonde Bash final table at DTD and she amassed that stack by knocking me out in 6th/7th after I cunningly induced her to shove with 99 into my AA.

Correct.

For a bonus point, tell us what you remember of this occasion, & what exactly took you all the way down to Torquay;

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=28220

It came about when Blonde had it's own skin on i-poker iirc and for some reason I played in a satellite for what looked like a decent event.

I did actually write a trip-report and post it on Blonde but for some reason the playing-cards messed up the paragraphs and it looked like it had been written by an illiterate. It's probably still in there if you excavate deeply enough. It was a good trip with an excellent cast of characters including Albert, M3Boy, Laurence Robjent, Elvis, and Bambos to name a few. I seem to remember you enjoying my account of the train journey along the sea-shore passing by some red cliffs - a route your dad used to drive when you were a lad and how he would impress your mates by sounding the horn and waving as he went by.

Yes, that all adds up. Except my dad blew the engine WHISTLE. Steam Engines had whistles, not horns. Most important to clarify, that.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50987 on: December 23, 2017, 09:34:52 AM »

I blew a fuse and found this when rummaging through the box.  I seem to remember fuses blowing was quite a regular occurrence when I were a lad.  That and chimneys catching fire.

You like to get value out of 7 old pence then?

Do they still even use fuse wire these days? I seem to recall using the silver foil out of cigarette packets instead of fuse wire.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50988 on: December 23, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »

Another random photo.

Is that Chompy, in the green top? Probably not, think Chomps carries more timber.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #50989 on: December 23, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »

I blew a fuse and found this when rummaging through the box.  I seem to remember fuses blowing was quite a regular occurrence when I were a lad.  That and chimneys catching fire.

You like to get value out of 7 old pence then?

Do they still even use fuse wire these days? I seem to recall using the silver foil out of cigarette packets instead of fuse wire.

My power unit uses it.  I have only ever blown a fuse once before in my present house, by drilling through a cable.  This time my central heating wasn't working when I came back after a break so I plugged in three electric heaters at full power......

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50990 on: December 23, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

I just remembered Nic Szeremeta and his daughter Kate also played in that tourney as did Des Wilson.

Yes, that would figure, as Nic & Kate live in Torquay. I see that Nic, who is now in his mid-seventies, is still cashing in little MTT's here & there, 5 of them this year so far in places such as Birmingham, Torquay & Vienna.

I seem to remember that Kate had a bizarre & very public spat with Miss Coren, over the misinterpretation of a tattoo of all things. The tattoo was on Kate's person, & Vicky mentioned it in her wonderful FRFP book. Lord knows how it all got so out of hand.

Des Wilson lived down that way, too, quite a bit further west in fact, in North Cornwall. I spent a weekend as his guest at his beautiful cottage, & we played a charity poker tournament in the local WMC. There were 100 runners. of whom 93 were related. Not heard from Des in ages, hope he is OK - he's 76. Wonderful man, &, arguably, saved the lives of many thousands of people by lobbying for lead free petrol.

Paul Parker was also in attendance.

I rather went off Des Wilson after he wrote the most awful snooty scathing epitaph for Dave Ulliot.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:15:44 AM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50991 on: December 23, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »

A big fire went off at London Zoo overnight, with 10 appliances (fire engines in plain speak) in attendance.

Zoo Staff reported that "an aardvark is unaccounted for". Which kinda made me laugh & feel sad at the same time. That's not a turn of phrase one sees very often.

So if you happen upon one of these wandering down Camden High Street, trying to look innocent, you'll know where it came from. Be careful though, they are very dangerous, particularly if you happen to be an ant.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:39:41 PM by tikay » Logged

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #50992 on: December 23, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »

I rather went off Des Wilson after he wrote the most awful snooty scathing epitaph for Dave Ulliot.

What about those who gave him a glossy eulogy?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50993 on: December 23, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »

What about those who gave him a glossy eulogy?

Well considering that Des was his biographer it came across as very harsh and snobby - not to mention two-faced - to slag him off after he had died.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #50994 on: December 23, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »

A big fire went off at London Zoo overnight, with 10 appliances (fire engines in plain speak) in attendance.

Zoo Staff reported that "an aardvark is unaccounted for". Which kinda made me laugh & feel sad at the same time. That's not a turn of phrase one sees very often.

So if you happen upon one of these wandering down Camden High Street, trying to look innocent, you'll know where it came from. Be careful though, they are very dangerous, particularly if you happen to be an ant.

RIP Misha and the Meerkats.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #50995 on: December 23, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »

How about this for a bizarre news story?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42462724

Princess Michael of Kent is in trouble on Social Media, & had to apologise for wearing a brooch which depicted a black man, and it was emphasises that she was in the company of Meghan Markle, who was described as "mixed race". Oh dear.

Would it have been OK if the brooch depicted a white man?

What is racist about a brooch which depicts a black person? I know, & understand, that, say, the Robertson's "Golliwog" is no longer acceptable, & I get that completely.

Can we still have statues of black people, or is that now deemed racist by Team Sensitive on Twitter?

Click to see full-size image.

More to do with the actual piece as it's ......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackamoors_(decorative_arts)

Who on earth updates Wikipedia so quickly?
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50996 on: December 23, 2017, 08:37:56 PM »

Princess Michael of Kent is in trouble on Social Media, & had to apologise for wearing a brooch which depicted a black man, and it was emphasises that she was in the company of Meghan Markle, who was described as "mixed race". Oh dear.

What is racist about a brooch which depicts a black person? I know, & understand, that, say, the Robertson's "Golliwog" is no longer acceptable, & I get that completely.

Can we still have statues of black people, or is that now deemed racist by Team Sensitive on Twitter?

I suspect that Meghan's more embarrassed by the furore than offended by the inferred racist slur.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #50997 on: December 23, 2017, 09:17:39 PM »

I suspect that Meghan's more embarrassed by the furore than offended by the inferred racist slur.

Has to be a million that she even looked at it, nevermind knew what it was.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #50998 on: December 23, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »

Has to be a million that she even looked at it, nevermind knew what it was.

Yeah and with her being a girl called Michael no doubt she's had to put up with a lot of name calling etc.  What were they thinking?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #50999 on: December 24, 2017, 03:52:50 AM »

Embarrassing that the BBC made such of a big story of this immediately after reporting 180+ people dead in the Philippines storm.
Pages: 1 ... 3396 3397 3398 3399 [3400] 3401 3402 3403 3404 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: