blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:39:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3727 3728 3729 3730 [3731] 3732 3733 3734 3735 ... 3776 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6285168 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55950 on: May 14, 2022, 06:59:24 PM »

The crux of this trial is Rooney needing to actually prove Rebekah's foul-play even though I doubt many think she is innocent at this point.

So even if the judge awards her the insulting token £1 in damages the Rooneys will still have to pay the £2M combined legal costs.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55951 on: May 14, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »

One thing that struck me as particularly odd was Rebekah's agent being "too ill" to give evidence.

She was the one who gave all these stories to the press and rather conveniently "lost" her phone in the North Sea.

Why hasn't Colleen's legal team subpoenaed this lady or is that not permissable in this type of case?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55952 on: May 14, 2022, 08:11:32 PM »

One thing that struck me as particularly odd was Rebekah's agent being "too ill" to give evidence.

She was the one who gave all these stories to the press and rather conveniently "lost" her phone in the North Sea.

Why hasn't Colleen's legal team subpoenaed this lady or is that not permissable in this type of case?

Very odd & as it happens, convenient.

I obviously have no idea what the legal position is, but this is the backstory;

"In written arguments, Mr Tomlinson said: ‘The claimant served a witness statement of Caroline Watt with the intention of calling Ms Watt to give oral evidence at the trial.

‘The claimant’s solicitors were, however, aware that Ms Watt was in a fragile state and had been expressing serious concerns about giving evidence.’

He added that a consultant forensic psychiatrist produced a report which concluded Watt is not fit to provide oral evidence at the High Court trial.

‘In these circumstances, it is clear that Ms Watt cannot be called to give evidence,’ he concluded.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 08:17:40 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55953 on: May 14, 2022, 08:16:50 PM »

The crux of this trial is Rooney needing to actually prove Rebekah's foul-play even though I doubt many think she is innocent at this point.

So even if the judge awards her the insulting token £1 in damages the Rooneys will still have to pay the £2M combined legal costs.

Really? Wow.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55954 on: May 14, 2022, 09:16:18 PM »

Really? Wow.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that's how it works.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #55955 on: May 15, 2022, 09:52:53 AM »

Really? Wow.

Not necessarily. Will be a separate decision. There's a general principle that the loser pays, but who the loser is in a case where someone wanted a lot of money and got £1 isn't cut and dry.

https://www.civillitigationbrief.com/2017/05/30/costs-at-the-end-of-the-case-who-is-the-real-winner-and-more-about-failing-to-prove-damages/

Also, the amount you get isn't always 100%, as there's an assessment process.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55956 on: May 15, 2022, 11:06:06 AM »

I love law. I wish our big cases were televised.

The older I get, the better I was.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #55957 on: May 15, 2022, 11:47:43 AM »

Try watching the Pitt vs Heard trial - most of it’s shown live on YouTube. It can be very interesting, but it can also be infuriating - particularly regarding the manner in which the questions are delivered by the lawyers. Best watched as edited highlights....
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #55958 on: May 16, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »

30th June you say?  If you are lining Wooly Jumper's pockets, might well see you in the Clubhouse for a latte and a pastry!

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55959 on: May 16, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »

Really? Wow.

Not necessarily. Will be a separate decision. There's a general principle that the loser pays, but who the loser is in a case where someone wanted a lot of money and got £1 isn't cut and dry.

https://www.civillitigationbrief.com/2017/05/30/costs-at-the-end-of-the-case-who-is-the-real-winner-and-more-about-failing-to-prove-damages/

Hi Simon, long time no see.

Does this mean that the judge could award Rebekah the derisory £1 in damages yet still lumber her with the lion's share of the costs?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #55960 on: May 16, 2022, 01:11:17 PM »

Really? Wow.

Does this mean that the judge could award Rebekah the derisory £1 in damages yet still lumber her with the lion's share of the costs?

Of her own costs, possibly. The default is you get most of your costs if you win, though

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #55961 on: May 16, 2022, 01:33:19 PM »

Really? Wow.

Of her own costs, possibly. The default is you get most of your costs if you win, though

I read about this, and think two things go against her if she "wins".  She isn't a very convincing witness, and she allegedly refused mediation.  Would that sound correct? 

Shambles if she wins though, seems the court case has just trashed her reputation more than just saying fair cop gov and moving on.  Though fair to say she was likely badly advised here. 

Take it all back if she earns a mill ball, costs and a series of ghastly press interviews off the back of this.  Genius advisors in those circumstances.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #55962 on: June 03, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »

What the hell is this?

Retired city banker invests £12k and ends up with £8k and sues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61676208

The Woodford fund ended up as a shambles, but he is hardly a naive mug investor, it only seems to be part of his investments and it doesn't even seem much of a loss?   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55963 on: June 03, 2022, 10:22:55 AM »

What the hell is this?

Retired city banker invests £12k and ends up with £8k and sues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61676208

The Woodford fund ended up as a shambles, but he is hardly a naive mug investor, it only seems to be part of his investments and it doesn't even seem much of a loss?  

Bankers seem to be naturally greedy. Hardly seems worth the effort, but it probably keeps him awake at nights. I wish £4,000 was the biggest loss I've suffered in share dealings in dodgy outfits.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55964 on: June 03, 2022, 10:37:41 AM »

You sorted your Vegas schedule yet ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Pages: 1 ... 3727 3728 3729 3730 [3731] 3732 3733 3734 3735 ... 3776 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: