blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274191 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16956 Members
Latest Member: indianrenters
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1431 1432 1433 1434 [1435] 1436 1437 1438 1439 ... 3781 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6649777 times)
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21510 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:33 PM »

John Galliano has a history of Anti semantic Semitic rants. The problem is because of who he is people have let it slide and blamed pressures and drink for it. There is a funny story going around that his family history has Jewish blood in it and that's why he rants and rants about Jews. Me thinks thou protests too much M'Lord.

fyp.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I think he might have made anti-semantic remarks as well, always banging on about how it was time someone made it easier to tell the difference between their and there.

But only when he was drunk obviously, that's why people let it slide.

I get the same way when I've had a few.

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #21511 on: March 06, 2011, 07:24:11 AM »

Another chap introduced himself to me - "david3013" - lovely guy. I enjoy meeting, in real life, "aliases", faceless names from the internet. Liked him a lot.

Bugger.

"I read it every day, I don't Post much, but love your Diary, and Tom's" he said.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21512 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »

Another chap introduced himself to me - "david3013" - lovely guy. I enjoy meeting, in real life, "aliases", faceless names from the internet. Liked him a lot.

Bugger.

"I read it every day, I don't Post much, but love your Diary, and Tom's" he said.

Almost as if you were there, David.

You did indeed utter those EXACT words, some recall you have.

I was of course jesting in my Post.

Joking aside, it was lovely to meet you, keep reading, & post more!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21513 on: March 06, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »

blonde Forum Monthly Post-Count. So, where did that huge January 2011 Post count uptick come from? What an extraordinary change over 6 months - or, more correctly, over one month. Wonder if it's sustainable?

January 2010       16,073

February 2010      15,296

March 2010         13,375

April 2010           14,212

May 2010           13,936

June 2010          16,969

July 2010           12,938

August 2010      14,642

September 2010 13,179

October 2010     13,602

November 2010     13,879

December 2010     15582

January 2011        21262

Look away now, but I have OCD as to stats & numbers, & I peruse this stuff daily.

I reported the numbers above on February 1st.

The February Post Count came in at 18,196, so the January "rush" was not quite sustained, (though February is a short month, which may account for about 2,000 of the shortfall, 3 days x 650, say), but it was still, January apart, the highest number since October 2009.

"New Topics" were smack in the middle of the 12 month moving average.

The oddity in February's stats was "New Members", which came in at a staggering 634 - thats about 23 per day, & far & away the highest Monthly "New Members" count ever. Of course, lots of "New Members" are spammers, but it was always so, & I never noticed any particular uptick in spammers in February.

I'm struggling to understand what makes these numbers ebb & flow so.

Still, overall, they are going the right way, & blonde seems a better-balanced & more rounded place these days.

The only thing I do (think) I understand as to the numbers is that the Diaries generate a lot of Posts, both from the authors, & from replies to them.

Diaries by such as Evil, Claw, Dawn, Chumps, Vinni, Alex, & Cos, (who did I forget?) all get very high "Views" too. Tom's, of course, is a must-read. Tom's & Cos's both generate huge View-Count & Post-Count, & yet could not be more different. That's good. Wish Tighty could find a little more time to Update his Diary, but time must be a huge problem for him.

Ignore me, I'm thinking out loud. This stuff is so banal & boring it would only appeal to Accountants, IT peeps, & geeks.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21514 on: March 06, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »

February

3 days short = 2000 posts

No live updates c1000 posts

So put them in to a standardised month and we held the post count of Jan

New members is encouraging. SEO is most of it (which is the aim of doing stuff on the main site every day, and putting lots of content up), but as you say a lot are not "genuine" members. However some are, see the update threads from yesterday for example.

Perhaps we need a newsletter to access the 4,000 or so new members from the last year.

So yes, encouraging. If we can persuade some more people to support our sponsors and sign up via the banners.........

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21515 on: March 06, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »

John Galliano has a history of Anti semantic rants. The problem is because of who he is people have let it slide and blamed pressures and drink for it. There is a funny story going around that his family history has Jewish blood in it and that's why he rants and rants about Jews. Me thinks thou protests too much M'Lord.

I believe Mr G was born in Gibralter, yes?

It amuses me - sort of - a little when people say these dreadful things, & it's put down to "pressures, & drink".

They say them because they think them, but would never utter them when sober.

Methinks you are right. He's a tosser, CBE.

Does he get to keep his CBE if found guilty in the French Courts, where I believe he has been charged?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21516 on: March 06, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »

February

New members is encouraging. SEO is most of it (which is the aim of doing stuff on the main site every day, and putting lots of content up), but as you say a lot are not "genuine" members. However some are, see the update threads from yesterday for example.

Perhaps we need a newsletter to access the 4,000 or so new members from the last year.

So yes, encouraging. If we can persuade some more people to support our sponsors and sign up via the banners.........

Really? I'd forgotten that aspect.

What can I, or others, do to encourage that?

My basic - very basic - understanding of SEO, & google's algorithm, is "fresh content, original, updated regularly, with lots of keywords included". True or false?

My "google Alerts" sometimes - only sometimes - picks up Posts from my Diary, but I can't figure what the actual trigger is, as Alerts only pick up 1 in 10 or 20 of my diary Posts. Do/does "Main Site" Content count for more than Forum Content?

If I penned some themed Content for the Main Site, would that help?

EDIT - apostrophe inserted into "google's" before MerePedant has me shot.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:36:14 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21517 on: March 06, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »

February

The daily average of 23 or so New Members daily has continued in the first 5 days of March.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21518 on: March 06, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »

The level of cheating (by which I mean sly rule infraction rather than robust physical assaults) in Rugby Union has sadly increased enormously since the advent of professionalism. Probably looking through rose-tinted glasses, the only significant instance of cheating I can remember from my younger days was the All Black Andy Haden diving in a line-out against Wales to gain a penalty that won the match. In some ways it could be viewed as a comically bad dive but it was a dark day in rugby brought about by a man who has since shown himself to be a racist.

In professional Rugby Union it is commonplace to see players throw the ball away or refuse to give it up after committing an offence. This, of course, is generally penalised by advancing the penalty ten metres. Players also often try to prevent their opponents from taking quick line-outs. In an international last year the Australian Drew Mitchell was sent off (after previously receiving a yellow card) for this offence. If players were sent off in football for not retreating 10 yards at a free-kick no game would finish - perhaps that might be a good thing.

The bloodgate incident at Harlequins led to coach Dean Richards receiving a three year ban. Olivier Azam "dived" after being head-butted in a Gloucester Cardiff Heineken cup match. He was criticised by the opposition manager (David Young) but I do not recall his own manager (Dean Ryan) defending him.

However, I can't recall any instances of rugby union players shooting staff with air rifles.

That's a grand summary, Vince, thanks.

Yes, the ethicacy of RU has gone downhill of late, but it's nowhere as bad as in Association Football.

Bloodgate apart, I don't see too many cases of feigned injury, as in Football, where a player gets a knock to the face & goes to ground as if shot, or attempts to win a penalty with a triple roll which is so bad it's laughable, yet is rarely punished.

In Football, if a Team is awarded a penalty, the players celebrate the award, so does the crowd. That's not the case in RU, or if they do "celebrate"" the award of the penalty, they at least do it mentally, rather than behaving with oaf-like glee.

Still, Association Football is about to be cleaned-up, the revolution has begun. From July, snoods will be banned. Mixed feelings on that - it's such a weight off my mind, but then again, I was about to start donning a snood at G-Luton, to test the Dress-Code rules, & impress Chompy.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21519 on: March 06, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »

February

Really? I'd forgotten that aspect.

What can I, or others, do to encourage that?

My basic - very basic - understanding of SEO, & googles algorithm, is "fresh content, original, updated regularly, with lots of keywords included". True or false?

My "google Alerts" sometimes - only sometimes - picks up Posts from my Diary, but I can't figure what the actual trigger is, as Alerts only pick up 1 in 10 or 20 of my diary Posts. Do/does "Main Site" Content count for more than Forum Content?

If I penned some themed Content for the Main Site, would that help?

I'm self taught, so may be wrong on this. However I think stuff that features big events eg EPT threads or WSOP feed your wild side for example, or mentions well known players/sites etc can get picked up easily. The higher the rank the more new members rise, if our experience of the last six months is anything to go by

Yes always looking for content. I don't think many people read what goes on the main site, but its updated with more than 1 new article a day (however basic) for precisely the reasons you imply...to get picked up by SEO...and it would be great to get more thinkpieces/themese on there alongside that

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #21520 on: March 06, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »

was thinking about the post count the other day. Do you think that mobile internet - (i.e. everyone having Blackberry's and iPhones) has been a huge factor. I reckon half od the posts I now make are from my phone, if not more.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21521 on: March 06, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »

was thinking about the post count the other day. Do you think that mobile internet - (i.e. everyone having Blackberry's and iPhones) has been a huge factor. I reckon half od the posts I now make are from my phone, if not more.

It had not crossed my dumb mind, but yes yes yes.

I should have thought of it, too, because from my SB&G knowledge, "Mobile" is an absolutely massive growth engine, particularly in Bet, & tons of resource is devoted to coping with the massive upsurge.

Even I do it now, having been dragged (screaming & kicking) into owning a smartphone by Chili.

Good spot.

For business reasons, with an eye on Vegas in June/July, & some other stuff, I tried doing an Update from DTD last week of my "progress" (or lack of) in last week's £100, & I stuck it on Twitter. But my Desire HTC battery gave best in less than 7 hours. Even my chips outlasted it. This is not good, & I don't know the answer. Bust out quicker maybe?

Do any smartphone batteries last longer than 7 or 8 hours when used on the internet?

How long would an I-pad battery last in similar circumstances?

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #21522 on: March 06, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »

Smart phones abso eat battery life with the internet connected.  I always bring along the charger if I know I'll be using it much for that.  Not ideal, but not found a better alternative.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #21523 on: March 06, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

I believe Mr G was born in Gibralter, yes?

More likely to be Gibraltar.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #21524 on: March 06, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »

Easier just to carry a 2nd battery for the HTC. iPad is supposed to last around 10 hours; 7 is more likely IME.
Pages: 1 ... 1431 1432 1433 1434 [1435] 1436 1437 1438 1439 ... 3781 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: