blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 2476 2477 [2478] 2479 2480 2481 2482 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296127 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37155 on: April 19, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »

Brian Jacks?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #37156 on: April 19, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »

Brian Jacks?

Correct, a good friend and another legend.

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #37157 on: April 19, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »

Brian Jacks?

Correct, a good friend and another legend.

The best ever  "Superstar"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37158 on: April 20, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »

One of the newsreaders on the TV news channel in Family Guy (Quahog 5 News) was replaced a couple of years ago by a younger model. Joyce Kinney used to go to the same High School as Lois (Peter's wife) but we learn that Kinney is a stage name. Her real surname is Chevapravatdumrong.

I love those little nods; the in-jokes. The adult comedies like Family Guy and The Simpsons are absolute masters at them (although I'd argue the latter is the absolute Daddy). The Simpsons is full of maths jokes, some obvious and some far less so. This is because the senior writers are almost exclusively very talented mathematicians (postgraduate qualifications at Ivy League colleges). There's an episode where Apu is being cross examined by the terrible lawyer Lionel Hutz. Hutz questions Apu's memory. The episode was written by two of the junior writers (non-mathematicians) and Apu's original response was that he was well known for his memory and that, in fact, he had appeared in four hundred films in India relating to how good his memory is.

When the script reached the senior writers, they saw an opening for a maths joke. Instead of the movies, Apu would respond that he can recall pi to four thousand digits. This was, at that time, the record. (Pi is, for those who are less geeky, a number that is the link between the diameter of a circle and its circumference. It starts 3.141592...and never stops.)

Apu then delivers the brilliant line: the last digit is one.

He's right, of course.

Ali G tried to understand what "infinity" means. That works for me, because I can understand it.

"....but what number is infinity + 1?......"

Infinity is something that fascinates me. I'm definitely one who prefers numbers over statistics; it's the beauty of maths which butters my mathematical parsnips.

Last year, I read The Infinite Book, by John D. Barrow. It's a corking read, full of oddities and theories about this unfathomable concept of something too big to count.

Take the Infinity Hotel. It's a hotel with an infinite number of rooms. So, if you arrive and ask for any number you can think of, you can have the keys to that room with pleasure.

One day, a bus arrives and an infinite number of guests pile out, each wanting a room.

"No problem. We have a room for each of you."

Her Majesty the queen pops in. "Would one be able to stay this evening?'

"Certainly, Ma'am. Room one." We hurriedly move the occupant of room one to room two, two to three, three to four and everyone else up one, too. Done.

The next minute, another bus arrives and an infinite number of new guests turn up. We already have an infinite number of guests in an infinite number of rooms. Now what?

Well, we ask the occupant of room one to move to room two, room two to move to room four, room three to room six, four to eight, five to ten and so on. For any number you can think of, you just send them to the room with the number twice as large. This leaves a room for each new guest (all the odd numbers - and there's an infinite number of odd numbers). Problem solved. Phew!

Due to "restructuring", the Infinity Hotel's sister hotels (you guessed it, an infinite number of them, each with an infinite number of guests) all have to close. Now what?!

Assign each hotel with a prime number (that's a number which can only be divided by itself or one). Then, your current guests can stay in all the rooms 2/4/8/16/32/64 and so on, the next hotel's guests 3/9/27/81, the next 5/25/125/625 and you can keep going because there are an infinite number of primes. Her Majesty can stay in room one, too!

This was the work of a German mathematician called David Hilbert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hilbert

One of his students committed suicide after failing to solve a problem that had driven him mad. Hilbert was asked by the family to speak at the funeral. He did so, explaining where the student had gone wrong.

Love that, Tal Bloke, when theoretical maths meets reality maths, it makes it so much easier to grasp.

I have book somewhere on the various so-called "Magic Numbers", it blows the mind away.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37159 on: April 20, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »

5.387 billion cans sold in 2013 of Red Bull.

Red Bull deserves, surely, to be amongst the elite group of consumer products that owe much of their success to the sheer genuis of Marketing, & good timing.

Amazingly, the Company was founded less than 30 years ago, & it was some years before it went International.

It's a soft drink with the same caffeine content as a cup of coffee, probably costs about 5p a can to produce (excluding marketing, packing & distribution), & yet somehow, 5 billion cans per annum are sold at, I assume, 30p or so each.

That is just astonishing, & Mr Red Bull deserves to be right up there with the likes of Jack Welch, Michael O'Leary, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Warren & Charlie, & Larry & Sergey. These guys create their own market, & earn untold fortunes doing so. I've never had a can of Red Bull, & never will, but I can't help but admire the sheer genuis behind it's stunning success.

Quirky adverts, that are almost bearable to watch no matter how many times we see it, a catchy little slogan, Red Bull gives you wings, associating the brand with edgy stuff such as Extreme Sports, they own a handful of football clubs &, of course, the F1 Team.  

And the net result is a consumer product that was not invented until 25 years ago is a worldwide brand & money-spinner for life. All on a foundation of "it gives you energy". (Sleep does much the same job, & is free).

What an amazing thing to pull that off, & hats off to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #37160 on: April 20, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »

5.387 billion cans sold in 2013 of Red Bull.

I might be one of a rare breed that has never drank a can of Red Bull nor eaten in Nando's.

me too, probably a age thing Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37161 on: April 20, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »

Continuing the theme of big numbers, UPS has almost 100,000 vehicles. 400,000 staff, delivers 15 million parcels per day, & operates in 175 countries. Unless you are Alex or Stato, I doubt you could even NAME 175 countries.

With so many vehicles, detail is important.

In 2004 UPS announced that it would save fuel (in the USA) by minimizing left turns. Because drivers are idle at intersections while waiting to make left turns, UPS developed software that routes the day's packages with preference to right turns.

Thery never sell their used vehicles, either, they maintain them scrupulously, run them for 25 years, & then insist they are scrapped. You cannot buy an ex-UPS van.

The Brand is all brown, "Pullman Brown", and their vehicles have iconic status the world over.

Love it, absolutely love it.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #37162 on: April 20, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »

Brian Jacks?

And behind him what very much appears to be (on my phone screen at least) a photobombing Snoopy

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #37163 on: April 20, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »

Continuing the theme of big numbers, UPS has almost 100,000 vehicles. 400,000 staff, delivers 15 million parcels per day, & operates in 175 countries. Unless you are Alex or Stato, I doubt you could even NAME 175 countries.

In 2004 UPS announced that it would save fuel (in the USA) by minimizing left turns. Because drivers are idle at intersections while waiting to make left turns, UPS developed software that routes the day's packages with preference to right turns.

Thery never sell their used vehicles, either, they maintain them scrupulously, run them for 25 years, & then insist they are scrapped. You cannot buy an ex-UPS van.

The Brand is all brown, "Pullman Brown", and their vehicles have iconic status the world over.

I feel vindicated by this.  I tell my wife every day that the best way to get somewhere here is by minimising the number of left turns but she won't have it.  You have made my day, I can't wait to point this out when she gets back from church.  Now I only have to deal with the churchgoing.......

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37164 on: April 20, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »

I feel vindicated by this.  I tell my wife every day that the best way to get somewhere here is by minimising the number of left turns but she won't have it.  You have made my day, I can't wait to point this out when she gets back from church.  Now I only have to deal with the churchgoing.......
Offer up your evidence and that should convince her on the UPS thang. Evidence to counter faith won't work with the church thang though.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37165 on: April 20, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »

Broken cross? Call CruciFix.

The older I get, the better I was.
Dino

View Profile
« Reply #37166 on: April 20, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »

Mythbusters tried this as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppCz4f1L9iU
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37167 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »

Sheesh.

Genius, or lucky boy?

Even Flushy would not dare try this.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37168 on: April 21, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »

I wonder why that jet makes a noise like annoying music?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37169 on: April 21, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »

I wonder why that jet makes a noise like annoying music?

You just don't get it Tom, do you?

This is 2014.

There is a law which says you shall have music wherever you go, whether you like it or not.

Shops, restaurants, cardrooms, tv shows, videos, everything has to have music.

Love to meet the selfish idiot who made that rule.

Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 2476 2477 [2478] 2479 2480 2481 2482 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: