blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2601 2602 2603 2604 [2605] 2606 2607 2608 2609 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296334 times)
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39060 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:34 AM »

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/mar/13/why-finish-books/

and

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/08/how-not-to-read-books-lionel-shriver-do-something
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39061 on: July 24, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »

I never ever finish reading books that I don't like. There are so many great books out there. I'll never have time to read them all. Why should I waste a second ploughing through crap.

That's one of the great benefits of Kindle. Try a few chapters for free before you buy.

100% this. People are far too precious with books. It's not an achievement to finish a book. It should be a pleasure. I'm the same with films and TV shows. I turned off American Hustle after an hour as it was just a waste of my time.

I think you have to give it a chance before rejecting it. Spending the rest of our days wondering "how did that finish?" does not sit well with me.

As to "American Hustle" & the like, well I'd not even start to watch something with such a title. You can tell a book by it's cover, you know.

In truth, of course, it's a ridiculous habit to insist on finishing every book, but habits of a lifetime, & increasding stubborn-ness mean I can't stop now.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39062 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »

I never ever finish reading books that I don't like. There are so many great books out there. I'll never have time to read them all. Why should I waste a second ploughing through crap.

That's one of the great benefits of Kindle. Try a few chapters for free before you buy.

100% this. People are far too precious with books. It's not an achievement to finish a book. It should be a pleasure. I'm the same with films and TV shows. I turned off American Hustle after an hour as it was just a waste of my time.

I think you have to give it a chance before rejecting it. Spending the rest of our days wondering "how did that finish?" does not sit well with me.

As to "American Hustle" & the like, well I'd not even start to watch something with such a title. You can tell a book by it's cover, you know.

In truth, of course, it's a ridiculous habit to insist on finishing every book, but habits of a lifetime, & increasding stubborn-ness mean I can't stop now.

Haha! I agree with you. But it got SO many good reviews and won oscars and all sorts.

As to books, again I agree. I will generally not give up until I've read about a third. Some books I've given up on with only 50 or so pages to go. I've just lost interest and don't care what happens.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #39063 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who doesn't like a kindle
I bought one a couple of years ago and it's languishing in the kitchen drawer for dead electrical appliances
I take my old books to the local charity shop
Whilst there I browse their stock and have been known to repurchase ones from 3/4 visits ago and start to read them again
The works is a great place to get 3 for a £5 deals
A year in Provence by peter mayle ,a walk in the woods by bill Bryson , the stu ungar story are my 3 re read books
When I run out of books to read at bedtime it's one of those
In the 80s I got into mountaineering books and now have a bookcase with 9 feet of shelving crammed full of them plus a few rare ones which I hunted down in shops n flea markets
great reading about a little publicised sport which tests a climbers / persons determination to the limit ,often paying the highest price ,not always to succeed either
I went to Malta years ago on holiday and needed 12/14 books for a fortnight , pre internet and I pad days and ordered a load of mountaineering books from all of cambridgeshires libraries packed then in a case with the towels. (4)  and the bloody case got lost on the way home ,luckily it turned up in Germany and got returned to me or I was for the high jump
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39064 on: July 24, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »

I'm so annoyed that I only discovered the free sample thing on Kindle after about 20 shit books I never finished.

One of the great things about Kindle is the move towards 'Kindle Singles' - books written at their natural length, no filler. Really enjoyed this recent one by Jon Ronson:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Adventures-Phoenix-Jones-Superheroes-ebook/dp/B005ZOCFNQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1406194291&sr=8-11&keywords=jon+ronson

American Hustle was a snoozefest for me, but most people I know loved it.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39065 on: July 24, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »

I bought a kindle, didnt like it, preferred reading actual books.

Then my wife bought a kindle, never used it, gave it to me, and I love it. Cant remember the last time I read a paper book.

On top of the 'singles' you can also send web articles to it to read those from it as well.

I f****ng love books me.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39066 on: July 24, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »

Then my wife bought a kindle, never used it, gave it to me, and I love it. Cant remember the last time I read a paper book.

On top of the 'singles' you can also send web articles to it to read those from it as well.

I f****ng love books me.

I prefer reading an actual book, but the utility of the kindle just wins out by a mile. I'm sure you are the same in having more than one book on the go at any one time. And the ability to get a book instantly and start reading? Amazing.

Totally agree on the singles thing. Novellas were a dying art.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39067 on: July 24, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »

I f****ng love books me.

I prefer reading an actual book, but the utility of the kindle just wins out by a mile. I'm sure you are the same in having more than one book on the go at any one time. And the ability to get a book instantly and start reading? Amazing.

Totally agree on the singles thing. Novellas were a dying art.

I actually have to read a book cover to cover, I cant jump around between two. But yeah, knowing I can end one book and start the other instantly is awesome.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39068 on: July 24, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »

I have my Kindle on my phone. It's fantastic to be able to read when you have an unexpected half hour to kill.

The older I get, the better I was.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #39069 on: July 26, 2014, 12:36:44 AM »

Backing The Draw For Profit is not available on Kindle, so honestly what's the point?

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #39070 on: July 26, 2014, 02:11:56 AM »

Haha! I agree with you. But it got SO many good reviews and won oscars and all sorts.

As to books, again I agree. I will generally not give up until I've read about a third. Some books I've given up on with only 50 or so pages to go. I've just lost interest and don't care what happens.

Completely agree on American Hustle. Had a decent cast and director, cracking reviews etc and was an absolute pile of shite, don't think I even lasted an hour and I usually watch all films to the end.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #39071 on: July 26, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »

Completely agree on American Hustle. Had a decent cast and director, cracking reviews etc and was an absolute pile of shite, don't think I even lasted an hour and I usually watch all films to the end.

I saw it out, but thought much the same.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39072 on: July 26, 2014, 09:32:24 AM »

Backing The Draw For Profit is not available on Kindle, so honestly what's the point?

Kindle only publish books that have sold 10 or more copies.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #39073 on: July 26, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »

I have to admit that if i have one addition it is books, I love the feeling of going into a bookshop knowing I will come out with at least one book (often more) but not really knowing which ones. That feeling is only really beaten by knowing that one of your favourite authors has a new book out and that you will shortly be purchasing it.

I have to admit to even preferring to physically buy the book in a shop as opposed to Amazon (despite the cost difference) as it just takes me back to being a kid again.

The feel you get when you are finishing a really good book is always a mix of pleasure and a little bit of disappointment that it is over!

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39074 on: July 26, 2014, 12:06:13 PM »

I have to admit that if i have one addition it is books, I love the feeling of going into a bookshop knowing I will come out with at least one book (often more) but not really knowing which ones. That feeling is only really beaten by knowing that one of your favourite authors has a new book out and that you will shortly be purchasing it.

I have to admit to even preferring to physically buy the book in a shop as opposed to Amazon (despite the cost difference) as it just takes me back to being a kid again.

The feel you get when you are finishing a really good book is always a mix of pleasure and a little bit of disappointment that it is over!

Great post.

Have you ever considered contributing to a more cultured diary by any chance?

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 2601 2602 2603 2604 [2605] 2606 2607 2608 2609 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: