blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272645 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2650 2651 2652 2653 [2654] 2655 2656 2657 2658 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6339787 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39795 on: September 29, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »

Purely as an interested observer had it in my top five sporting press convferences ever (Usain Bolt, Steve McLaren, a Kevin Keegan one, and one i forget)

apparently it was electric, a really crackling tense atmosphere

i think i would quite like to see it for all team sports

You've just been drubbed, all 11 in a football team are sat down either side of the manager and asked questions, see what the body language and responses tell you

Much better than the Geoff Shreeves (with the odd exception) line up in front of a media wall and ask them about an offside decision, penalty appeal etc

It was a kind of open mouthed viewing moment wasn't it Rich. Tho it was another example of taking responsibility, Stephen Gallacher hit a terrible shot on the par 3 17th when two down with 2 to play and Mick was in trouble. He walked of the tee saying how shocking the shot he just hit was and giving himself a good talking down.

Mick seems to have decided to deflect the blame from himself and his mates instead of giving themselves a collective good talking down.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39796 on: September 29, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »

Phil is correct though the difference in 2008 was down to the captains.

It just wasn't that anything Azinger did had that much of an impact though.

Oh I don't doubt he was right, but that's not the point.

Time & place.

I bet Phil is regretting his comments already. If not, he soon will if Mr Chamblee Wamblee has gauged it right.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/brandel-chamblee-reacts-phil-mickelson/

Don't think he was right on any level. The difference in 2008 was that Europe were captained by Faldo who was completely inept at the task. However the European players have done the classy thing (although they must have been tempted otherwise this week by some of his comments) and not aired any recriminations in public.

And there you have it.

It's easier when you have won though. Losing hurts some folks, a lot.

+1

Our players might litigate each other but at least they haven't blamed someone who didn't hit a shot for their poor individual play and as far as I know not one of our possible team was shagging the wife of another player already assured of being in the team either. Must be great for team morale to know that one of Mick's/Bradley's/Fowler's best mates was shagging one of this weeks team's Mrs' behind his back.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39797 on: September 29, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »

Purely as an interested observer had it in my top five sporting press convferences ever (Usain Bolt, Steve McLaren, a Kevin Keegan one, and one i forget)

You've just been drubbed, all 11 in a football team are sat down either side of the manager and asked questions, see what the body language and responses tell you

Much better than the Geoff Shreeves (with the odd exception) line up in front of a media wall and ask them about an offside decision, penalty appeal etc

It was a kind of open mouthed viewing moment wasn't it Rich. Tho it was another example of taking responsibility, Stephen Gallacher hit a terrible shot on the par 3 17th when two down with 2 to play and Mick was in trouble. He walked of the tee saying how shocking the shot he just hit was and giving himself a good talking down.

Mick seems to have decided to deflect the blame from himself and his mates instead of giving themselves a collective good talking down.

Dunno about deflecting the blame from himself, he won 2 out of 3 points and was 6 under v Stevie Gallagher after 17 think he performed pretty well at golf.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39798 on: September 29, 2014, 03:42:49 PM »

Dunno about deflecting the blame from himself, he won 2 out of 3 points and was 6 under v Stevie Gallagher after 17 think he performed pretty well at golf.

There seems to been some problems in the background between Mick and the captain tho. That isn't a great spot to be in a team environment and openly telling people that you should have played on Saturday is undermining at best isn't it?

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39799 on: September 29, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »

Last Ryder cup point Tony, did you notice Darren Clarke now looks like Matthew Kelly?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #39800 on: September 29, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »

Last Ryder cup point Tony, did you notice Darren Clarke now looks like Matthew Kelly?

Ahem...

What's Matthew Kelly from You Bet doing between Monty and Butch?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39801 on: September 29, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »

There seems to been some problems in the background between Mick and the captain tho. That isn't a great spot to be in a team environment and openly telling people that you should have played on Saturday is undermining at best isn't it?

Totally agree, Phil was clearly raging he didn't get a game on the Saturday. I thought he and Bradley deserved to be out in the fourballs in the morning at least and should have rested in the afternoon as fatigue was an issue with a few. Watson openly admitted that Phil had sent him texts pleading to play and that he told him he wasn't playing well enough in his opinion. So perhaps Watson shouldn't have been airing those points also? Doesn't exactly portray a positive image and help the team environment? I don't agree with what Mickelson did but Watson is well known for being very stubborn but by the end of the weekend he looked exactly like what he is a hero from an long past era.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39802 on: September 29, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »

Totally agree, Phil was clearly raging he didn't get a game on the Saturday. I thought he and Bradley deserved to be out in the fourballs in the morning at least and should have rested in the afternoon as fatigue was an issue with a few. Watson openly admitted that Phil had sent him texts pleading to play and that he told him he wasn't playing well enough in his opinion. So perhaps Watson shouldn't have been airing those points also? Doesn't exactly portray a positive image and help the team environment? I don't agree with what Mickelson did but Watson is well known for being very stubborn but by the end of the weekend he looked exactly like what he is a hero from an long past era.

yes I think that's a good point too, deffo not a good team vibe coming out from the US team now. I hadn't really considered it before but it could be that there is such an age gap between the Captain and his backroom staff and most of the team that it made it difficult for them to connect and bond.

I read today that Mcginley was concerned that Victor Dub was such a private and quiet guy that he had concerns about him in the team environment so he went to stay with him at his home for three days to get to know him better. It's a nice touch that might have made a difference.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #39803 on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »

Fairly sure if he ends up as Ryder Cup captain, the vice captains will be Bruno Brookes, Frank Bruno and Vicky Michelle

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #39804 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:19 PM »

Very saddened by this bobby1.

For Tal, I totally understand him confusing heroes, as for him, Kelly is an Icon.

I didn't have you down as even knowing who he is, unless you watched the last series of Benidorm?

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #39805 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »

For Tal, I totally understand him confusing heroes, as for him, Kelly is an Icon.

I didn't have you down as even knowing who he is, unless you watched the last series of Benidorm?

I used to love YouBet. Somewhere in this diary, I posted a video of a young lad naming all the London underground stations. Was a brilliantly simple show. Could get all the good bits of Britain's Got Talent without any of the baying crowd and vote guff.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39806 on: September 29, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »

I'm a 1980's teenager tho Adz. Saturday night Game for a laugh, Match ot Daaaay and Tales of the Unexpected followed by some late night Hammer house of horror or a 1930's film along the lines of The beast with five fingers was the highlight of the viewing week round our way.

Tho as you are much older than me I bet you were out having fun on Saturday nights  Smiley      

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #39807 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »

Ah Happy Days, usually starring in my own horror film after too many beers, with a frightening hideous leading lady in The Beast with Two Backs.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #39808 on: September 29, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »

I'm a 1980's teenager tho Adz. Saturday night Game for a laugh, Match ot Daaaay and Tales of the Unexpected followed by some late night Hammer house of horror or a 1930's film along the lines of The beast with five fingers was the highlight of the viewing week round our way.

I remember all those too, though hadn't reached the teens myself at that stage
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39809 on: September 30, 2014, 10:15:06 AM »

Ah Happy Days, usually starring in my own horror film after too many beers, with a frightening hideous leading lady in The Beast with Two Backs.

If you watched "Happy Days" Adzy, you are a lot older than you make out, you might even be as old as Ralph.

There was a great show on PBS America yesterday commemorating Robin Williams, & Henry Winkler did several pieces to camera. Strewth, he's OLD now. (69 next month).

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 2650 2651 2652 2653 [2654] 2655 2656 2657 2658 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: