blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3365 3366 3367 3368 [3369] 3370 3371 3372 3373 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296973 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50520 on: September 24, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

Wink

That's typical, kick a poor man when he's down.

PS - Think Mr Mullins is doing what is known as "burning bridges". Not sure I'd ever want to make an enemy of Lord O'Leary. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50521 on: September 24, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »

Gill had to quit with her jogging for health reasons - she has a history of back problems, & jogging is an "impact" sport, which was giving her nasty side effects.

Undaunted, she took up swimming instead, so yesterday we headed down to Guildford Lido for a McMillan Cancer Research swim. (It raised £40,000 in total, which is pretty good I'd say). 

Love the term "Lido". It used to be baths, then pool, & these days I guess it is aquatic leisure facility. Lido seemed to sum up a time when things were different somehow, it's a beautifully dated term, & almost infers art deco.

It's a 50 metre long unheated - no heat, WTF? - Lido, pleasant in every respect, & sited adjacent Guildford College in leafy Surrey.

There were 2k, 3k & 5k sponsored swims available, but 2k (40 lengths) seemed sufficiently ambitious.

Succeed? You bet, an hour & 7 minutes if you don't mind. Gill was brilliant, she's a really brave girl, & I could have continued all day if I had been so inclined. Easy peasy. 

Most satisfying. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50522 on: September 24, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »

Wink

That's typical, kick a poor man when he's down.

PS - Think Mr Mullins is doing what is known as "burning bridges". Not sure I'd ever want to make an enemy of Lord O'Leary. 

I'm pretty sure that's a spoof account - WillieM is far too classy a man to Tweet that.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50523 on: September 24, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

^^^^

Bugger, whooshed again, with the added ignominy that it was Marky.

Pretty sure you are right, does not seem, with hindsight, the sort of thing Mr Mullins would fo.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50524 on: September 24, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »

Gill had to quit with her jogging for health reasons - she has a history of back problems, & jogging is an "impact" sport, which was giving her nasty side effects.

Undaunted, she took up swimming instead, so yesterday we headed down to Guildford Lido for a McMillan Cancer Research swim. (It raised £40,000 in total, which is pretty good I'd say). 

Love the term "Lido". It used to be baths, then pool, & these days I guess it is aquatic leisure facility. Lido seemed to sum up a time when things were different somehow, it's a beautifully dated term, & almost infers art deco.

It's a 50 metre long unheated - no heat, WTF? - Lido, pleasant in every respect, & sited adjacent Guildford College in leafy Surrey.

There were 2k, 3k & 5k sponsored swims available, but 2k (40 lengths) seemed sufficiently ambitious.

Succeed? You bet, an hour & 7 minutes if you don't mind. Gill was brilliant, she's a really brave girl, & I could have continued all day if I had been so inclined. Easy peasy. 

Most satisfying. 

Forty lengths is amazing although we are all aware of her bravery Wink - I honestly think I'd struggle to swim two lengths.

Well done Gill.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50525 on: September 24, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »

Most satisfying. 

Forty lengths is amazing although we are all aware of her bravery Wink - I honestly think I'd struggle to swim two lengths.

Well done Gill.

Her new nickname is Gills.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #50526 on: September 24, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »

^^^^

Bugger, whooshed again, with the added ignominy that it was Marky.

Pretty sure you are right, does not seem, with hindsight, the sort of thing Mr Mullins would fo.

Ha!

Didn't even check, but would have bet my net on it being a spoof Cheesy

Well done to Gill, that's some going.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50527 on: September 25, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »

Can't believe you all congratulated Gill, but I never even got a "well done".

Tossers.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50528 on: September 25, 2017, 12:03:49 PM »

As sad stories go, this is a shocker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-41377306

Can we even begin to imagine?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50529 on: September 25, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »

This is a more uplifting story, though.

How proud would you be if this were your daughter?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/disability-41368134/girl-13-does-backflip-in-her-wheelchair
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:12:23 PM by tikay » Logged

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50530 on: September 25, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/disability-41368134/girl-13-does-backflip-in-her-wheelchair

Very cool, and surely the learning curve for flips in a wheelchair are much more brutal? I can only imagine more head lands, with more weight on them because of the chair. Having said that I can't gracefully pull off stepping into a boat, so I'm far from knowing the physics of it.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50531 on: September 25, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »

Very cool, and surely the learning curve for flips in a wheelchair are much more brutal? I can only imagine more head lands, with more weight on them because of the chair. Having said that I can't gracefully pull off stepping into a boat, so I'm far from knowing the physics of it.

That was exactly my thinking, Barry - when you get it wrong in a wheelchair, you are gonna get it seriously wrong.

I can't begin to comprehend her bravery.

PS - Were you at Hillsborough yesterday?

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50532 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »

That was exactly my thinking, Barry - when you get it wrong in a wheelchair, you are gonna get it seriously wrong.

I can't begin to comprehend her bravery.

PS - Were you at Hillsborough yesterday?

I bet you have no idea who these two gents are, but they sum up to me what must be true about people like that:

And no, I wasn't, haven't been to a match for over a year anyway and have always avoided the derbies because they genuinely get a little nastier than a delicate type like myself can handle. Had some serious fallings out over the years and seen plenty more.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50533 on: September 26, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »

Here's a fascinating photo that was sent to me by K4Suited, as he had some difficulty uploading it. 

He will be along later to comment.

Aha! Thanks Iktay.

Being aware of our leader's fascination with most things engineering, I thought there'd be some interest in the black & yellow robot at the front of this aircraft. Up until recently, all aircraft at LHR were pushed back from the stand by a tow and driver, and a walking guide who held a 'stop-cable' in case of a need for an emergency stop, since the tow driver's visibility is severely restricted from the cab of the tow. With advanced technology, BA have begun to adopt these robots which are remote controlled from a better vantage point. Fewer people on the ground, fewer accidents... Oh, and smaller manpower costs.

I hasten to add that I've not done a ton of research on this, since I was just trying to get this pic up whilst it was fresh on my phone. So I'll start investigations in preparedness of any questions coming in.

Nice looking piece of kit that.

By "robot" I assume you mean that it is "remote-controlled" by a bloke in the Office upstairs?

Tugs usually have large wheels, to aid traction when pushing such heavy kit, but that robot must have miniature wheels. How that work?

I have always been rather fond of those "tugs" (is that the correct term?) that push the aircraft back off the stand. Perfectly functional with no nod to fashion or aesthetics. Beautiful in their ugliness, you might say.

The official PR release:

http://www.adsadvance.co.uk/ba-pushes-high-tech-first-at-heathrow-t5.html

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #50534 on: September 26, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

Can't believe you all congratulated Gill, but I never even got a "well done".

Tossers.

Well done Gill that's awesome, especially outside what a lady!

I love the word lido also, there is a famous one at Ruislip perhaps you could both visit, complete with beach and the longest miniature gauge railway in England. Despite living not far away I'd never heard of it until someone told me they filmed part of Summer Holiday, The Young Ones and A Night to Remember there.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:38:51 AM by Supernova » Logged

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Pages: 1 ... 3365 3366 3367 3368 [3369] 3370 3371 3372 3373 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: