blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3366 3367 3368 3369 [3370] 3371 3372 3373 3374 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296348 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50535 on: September 26, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »

Papplewick Lido /thread.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50536 on: September 26, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »

Here's a fascinating photo that was sent to me by K4Suited, as he had some difficulty uploading it. 

He will be along later to comment.

Click to see full-size image.

Aha! Thanks Iktay.

Being aware of our leader's fascination with most things engineering, I thought there'd be some interest in the black & yellow robot at the front of this aircraft. Up until recently, all aircraft at LHR were pushed back from the stand by a tow and driver, and a walking guide who held a 'stop-cable' in case of a need for an emergency stop, since the tow driver's visibility is severely restricted from the cab of the tow. With advanced technology, BA have begun to adopt these robots which are remote controlled from a better vantage point. Fewer people on the ground, fewer accidents... Oh, and smaller manpower costs.

I hasten to add that I've not done a ton of research on this, since I was just trying to get this pic up whilst it was fresh on my phone. So I'll start investigations in preparedness of any questions coming in.

Nice looking piece of kit that.

By "robot" I assume you mean that it is "remote-controlled" by a bloke in the Office upstairs?

Tugs usually have large wheels, to aid traction when pushing such heavy kit, but that robot must have miniature wheels. How that work?

I have always been rather fond of those "tugs" (is that the correct term?) that push the aircraft back off the stand. Perfectly functional with no nod to fashion or aesthetics. Beautiful in their ugliness, you might say.

The official PR release:

http://www.adsadvance.co.uk/ba-pushes-high-tech-first-at-heathrow-t5.html

Very good, thanks for the update.

They seem so small. With such small wheels, I'm surprised they have sufficient traction to push back an Airbus A319/20/21.

Very impressive.

Keep the aircraft stuff coming, please.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50537 on: September 26, 2017, 11:04:27 AM »

It seems that Gill now plans to do a 5k (5k, ffs) Swim at Cheltenham Lido in October, again for Macmillan Cancer Research.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/in-your-area/local-dashboard/detail/Fundraising%20events/1493/All-Out-Swim-Cheltenham?proximity=74.69%20miles%20from%20you

She has a real addictive streak in her, once she gets into something, its all or nothing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50538 on: September 26, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »

Good to see mention of other Lidos - Ruislip (Sharon) & Papplewick (Tom).

Don't think they build Lidos these days, but they were a major part of our childhood for those of a certain age. A day at a Lido was the next best thing to a day at the seaside, & nothing on earth was as good as a day at the seaside.

I used to be in awe of people who lived at the seaside, the very thought they could be on the beach every day of their life made me in awe of them.

Only one thing impressed me more in those days, when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old.

Imagine - if you can - being rich enough to buy a Mars Bar every day. That was my ambition, to be that rich. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50539 on: September 26, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »

Talking of Mars Bars, did you know that Jacqueline Mars, the heiress to the Mars Chocolate Co fortune, is the 3rd richest woman in America?

A Mars a day makes you very rich indeed, it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Mars

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50540 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »

Sharon mentioned Ruislip Lido, which, as it happens, has a special place in my childhood memories.

One Sunday morning I did something wrong at home - "stole" 2 biscuits from the biscuit tin. In those days kids were not allowed to help themselves, they had to ask. My Sister & I had to ask, but my step-brother, who was The Special One, was allowed to help himself, which grated with me terribly.

Anyway, having nicked 2 bikkies, my Sister discovered the theft & threatened to grass me up to my Step Mother. By doing so, it would get her off the hook for some perceived misdemeanour she had committed. Such was life at home.

Anyway, rather than incur a thwack from the Step Mum, I decided I could not face the music, & decided to run away from home. Life as a child is not complete unless you have run away from home at least once, is it? I'm sure most of you must have done so. Think I would have been around 7, maybe 8 years old at the time. 

So off I went, there & then, with no idea where I was headed, but I had no plans to ever come home again. Free at last, yay.

Episode 2 of this thrilling tale follows.....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50541 on: September 26, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »

I had no idea where I planned to go, but I must have found myself on the Western Avenue (the A40, in Acton, which was nearby), & 10 miles later I saw the sign for Ruislip. I knew Ruislip had a Lido, & Lidos sounded great - I'd never been to one - so I headed there.

Think there was an entrance charge, but I slipped under a hole in the fence.

Soon, to my utter delight, I discovered it had a miniature railway. (It still does, I am pleased to discover -  https://www.ruisliplidorailway.org/ )

So I headed to that, & soon I was on nodding terms with the driver, a friendly avuncular type. Actually, with hindsight, he was maybe too friendly, & was probably some sort of perv, but as a somewhat backward 7 or 8 year old, such thoughts never entered my mind.

Soon, I was his "assistant" for the day, & I rode up & down that little railway scores of times. I'd never been happier than I was that day. Course, it never entered my tiny mind that I had problems ahead, like where to sleep, & what my Dad, who loved me to bits, was going through at home.

For those not asleep yet, more follows.....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50542 on: September 26, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »

Evening came, darkness dropped, so I slipped into a toilet cubicle & hid there until the park closed.

Eventually, with no alternative available - I was not the brightest of sorts - I decided to make that toilet cubicle my bed for the night. Slept like a top, too, curled up on the floor, happy as Larry.

I awoke early the next morning, absolutely starving to bits. It was over 24 hours since I had last eaten - those 2 pesky biscuits.

No problem, I knew the answer immediately - head to Woolworths. Woolworths used to have biscuit counters, where loose biscuits were displayed in open topped compartments, with glass dividers. I knew this, as I had nicked biscuits from them many a time. We all did, it was standard.   

I'm not excusing myself, but how could a kid ever resist this? You'd need to be a Saint not to fancy nicking a few of them.

More follows.....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50543 on: September 26, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »

So I headed into town, to find a Woolies. Every town - no exceptions - had a Woolies.

At this point, things started to go a little wrong.

First up, I had forgotten - or never knew, more like -  it was a Bank Holiday Monday. Shops never opened on Bank Holidays in those days, good grief no. They never opened on Sundays, & had an early closing day, too, but I digress.

To compound this minor oversight, & as I never possessed a watch - it turned out to be 5.15am in the morning. That's 5.15am on a Bank Holiday Monday, in Ruislip High Street. And I'm a dishevelled 7 or 8 year old, wandering along Ruislip High St. 

And at that very moment, who should be walking towards me but a uniformed policeman.

More soon for those hardy souls who have managed this far.....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50544 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »

I may not have been terribly bright, but I was bright enough to know that this policeman was gonna be a problem.

What to do?

I could hardly run, could I?

In my panic, I came up with a whizzo idea. Instead of running away from him, which would look suspicious, I would do the exact opposite. Walk TOWARDS him, without altering my pace. What could be more innocent?

However, there was one tiny flaw in this otherwise awesome idea of mine. I had decided I would walk BACKWARDS towards him, so he could not see my face.

How could that fail?

He must have been one of the brighter coppers of the time, as he stopped me, & asked me why I was walking along Ruislip High Street, backwards, at 0515 on a Bank Holiday Monday.

GG me? Don't you believe it, I had a cunning plan, don't you worry.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50545 on: September 26, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »

"I'm going sh-sh-shshopping, for my mmmmmmmMum" I stammered. Forgot to say, I had a stammer in those days, which was made worse when I was nervous. And I was very nervous now.

(My school teachers used to say "sing it Anthony" when I wanted to ask a question. Let me tell you something. You've never known what embarrassment is until you've been an 8 year old in a class of 40 kids & was forced to stand up & sing "Excuse me Miss, I want to go to wee". And we wont even discuss what I went through for a Number 2).

The copper countered that one easily.

You are going shopping at 5am little man?

I mean, he had a point, & I realised that fast, so I adroitly changed tack after I was struck by a genius idea.

"No, n-n-no, s-s-s-sorry, I mmmmmm-eant to say I'm taking my d-d-ddog for a w-w-wwalk".

"You have a dog? I can't see it. Where is it?"

"I l-l-l-let it off the l-l-l-lead S-S-S-Sir".

"You let it off the lead?"

"Y-y-y-yes"

But you don't have a dogs lead

Well as you may have worked out, that kite was never gonna fly, & the game was up. My plan was not without the odd flaw.

Anyway, he took me to the local nick, sat me in the canteen, & asked me how long it was since I last ate. I told him it was almost 24 hours.

And without another word, he gave me a red OXO tin, which, in those days were used as lunch boxes,. Inside was his dinner - 4 Sandwich Spread sarnies.

Best sandwiches I ever tasted in my life, & to this day, I still love Heinz Sandwich Spread.  Oh yes.

And Lidos, obv.

Life's great adventures, eh?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:21:13 PM by tikay » Logged

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #50546 on: September 26, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »

Hi Tikay, nice story and trip down memory lane there.
Funny enough i bought a jar of Heinz sandwich spread the other day, first time in ages, added it to a ham sarnie  Cool  still got nice little zing with it.
What happened when u got home tho ...

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50547 on: September 26, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »

Hi Tikay, nice story and trip down memory lane there.
Funny enough i bought a jar of Heinz sandwich spread the other day, first time in ages, added it to a ham sarnie  Cool  still got nice little zing with it.
What happened when u got home tho ...

My dad cycled down to Ruislip Nick & gave me the biggest cuddle ever ever ever.

Then he stuck a £5 note in the Police Charity Box - I never forgot that. £5 was a LOT of money in those days. (Around 1955). 12 or 13 years later his 21st Birthday present to me was  fiver, so it tells you how much a fiver was.

Then he gave me a "crossbar" home.

I was dreading what the Step Mum would do or say, but she was all cooey wooey, even gave me a full English breakfast - the first I had ever had in my life, AND she allowed me to sit & eat it in the "front room" (lounge to you & me) instead of the scullery, which was where my Sister & I had to eat all our meals.

Turned out pretty well really. Course, once I grew up, I realised how much torment I had subjected my Dad to. Pretty selfish of me really, but at 7 years old, we don't think these things through, do we? I never bothered about what my Step Mum thought though, as I despised her, a feeling which was 100% mutual.

I continued living at home with Mum & Dad until my Dad died, some 26 years later. The day he passed away - literally - I made plans to move out, & I was gone within 3 days.  I returned for the funeral, obv, but never again. Life began that day really, & once I moved away, life got really interesting & I loved every minute. I was a late starter to a full life, but boy oh boy, I made up for it.

bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #50548 on: September 26, 2017, 01:30:22 PM »

You should write a book Tony Wink

Great story by the way.

You write nearly as well as Tom. Grin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #50549 on: September 26, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »

I knew you had a skeleton or two in the cupboard.

Great story-telling Tony - Tom taught you well.

Carrington Lido (as was) is about half a mile up the road from my gaff - I spent many a sunny afternoon there in my youth.

I did a few honeypots off the high diving board - too chicken to actually dive off it obv.- although I never kipped in the bog.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 3366 3367 3368 3369 [3370] 3371 3372 3373 3374 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: