blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 12:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3564 3565 3566 3567 [3568] 3569 3570 3571 3572 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6318248 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #53505 on: May 19, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »

I took Gill down to Leigh-on-Sea at the beginning of May. We really enjoy a train ride to the seaside, & the weather was gorgeous. Was a lovely day all round.

I took this sort of still-life photo. Note how good it is, got the whole boat & everything. Might just enter it into a competition.

Click to see full-size image.

A boat from Faversham and a boat from Rye - doesn't Leigh on Sea have it's own fishing fleet?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53506 on: May 19, 2019, 08:05:18 AM »

I took Gill down to Leigh-on-Sea at the beginning of May. We really enjoy a train ride to the seaside, & the weather was gorgeous. Was a lovely day all round.

I took this sort of still-life photo. Note how good it is, got the whole boat & everything. Might just enter it into a competition.

A boat from Faversham and a boat from Rye - doesn't Leigh on Sea have it's own fishing fleet?

I'm not even sure Leigh-on-Sea has it's own sea Jon.

It sits on a muddy foreshore of the Thames Estuary, sandwiched between the oil refineries of Canvey Island, Shoeburyness, & right opposite the Isle of Grain on the south shore.

It's a stretch to call it pretty, despite my magnificent photo.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #53507 on: May 19, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »

One more from Twitter than that'll do for now, I've broken the ice, let's see if anyone is interested. It's past 2am too, & I'm due up at 6am.

Spotted this purler on Twitter a few weeks back. For those of my age, surely that was the golden age of music?

And think about the poor typist, & her manual typewriter with a ribbon & a sheet of carbon paper. Every time she got an enquiry, she had to type that lot out longhand. What a job. However did we cope pre-computers?

Wowserments....good find
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53508 on: May 19, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »

One more from Twitter than that'll do for now, I've broken the ice, let's see if anyone is interested. It's past 2am too, & I'm due up at 6am.

Spotted this purler on Twitter a few weeks back. For those of my age, surely that was the golden age of music?

And think about the poor typist, & her manual typewriter with a ribbon & a sheet of carbon paper. Every time she got an enquiry, she had to type that lot out longhand. What a job. However did we cope pre-computers?

Wowserments....good find

Morning Trev.

I fancy you may be a little too elderly to do Twitter, but if you do it's from @StuartPenney1 who is well worth a Follow, he has all sorts of great music stuff on there from the same era.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53509 on: May 19, 2019, 08:40:26 AM »

A later era (1990?) but here's another great photo from his Twitter feed, don't recall seeing this one before;

typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #53510 on: May 19, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »

Wowserments....good find

Morning Trev.

I fancy you may be a little too elderly to do Twitter, but if you do it's from @StuartPenney1 who is well worth a Follow, he has all sorts of great music stuff on there from the same era.

Noted thank you

I use Twitter but only for my work, you get interesting tweets from clever traders out of Russia and the States

They seem to want to out do each other when I would be holding some of their knowledge closer to my chest
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #53511 on: May 19, 2019, 10:01:50 AM »

Just going by inflation that puts Pink Floyd at £3500 today. Somehow doubt you'd get them to show up for that though Cheesy

The bands played small towns back then as well, Robert Plant used to talk about getting chased out of Kirkconnel Miner's Welfare Hall which is just up the road from me.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53512 on: May 19, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »

Do not adjust your set, & these are not photo-shopped.

I happened across these recently - it's "Pit Bike Racing", named after the bikes which riders ride around the paddock at "proper" motorcycle & car races.

It's amazing the different recreations folks have.   

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53513 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »

This is even weirder - horse-diving.

It was very popular 150 years ago, but was largely banned about 90 years ago.

One rider even did it after going blind.

In 1931, Sonora and her horse Red Lips lost their balance on the platform. Sonora survived the fall, but was blinded (caused by detached retinas in both eyes). She continued horse-diving while blind

From.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_horse

It's still done to this day though in New York State, though without a rider, & with much smaller dives. ("doves"?)

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53514 on: May 19, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »

No sympathy for the idiot divers but I do feel for the poor horses.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53515 on: May 19, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »

At face value, yes, of course.

The horses don't seem bothered though. 

In, say, flat horse-racing, a horse that does not want to race - because it's hard work, or if he associates it with being whipped - simply refuses to go into the stalls, & has to be pushed, cajoled & blindfolded, or, when the stalls open, sets himself & just won't move. 

Yet, the same horses seemed to do that Horse Diving 3 or 4 times per day with no apparent reluctance.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53516 on: May 19, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »

In, say, flat horse-racing, a horse that does not want to race - because it's hard work, or if he associates it with being whipped - simply refuses to go into the stalls, & has to be pushed, cajoled & blindfolded, or, when the stalls open, sets himself & just won't move. 

Yet, the same horses seemed to do that Horse Diving 3 or 4 times per day with no apparent reluctance.

Utter bollocks but no time to reply now.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53517 on: May 19, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »

Utter bollocks but no time to reply now.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #53518 on: May 19, 2019, 03:42:59 PM »

In Malta they still swim horses in the sea as exercise most summer evenings
They go a good way out too !
There’s also a great race track where they have trotting races
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53519 on: May 19, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »

"Yet, the same horses seemed to do that Horse Diving 3 or 4 times per day with no apparent reluctance."

Before I comment further, can I just ask what you are basing this comment on?

I didn't see any footage of the same horses 'diving' from 60ft 3 or 4 times per day with no apparent reluctance.

I did see one horse 'diving' from ~ 10ft once, and it was too far away to see if it was reluctant or not.

Pages: 1 ... 3564 3565 3566 3567 [3568] 3569 3570 3571 3572 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: