blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3747 3748 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 3754 3755 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6295988 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56250 on: October 04, 2022, 08:36:18 AM »

And then this happened.....

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56251 on: October 04, 2022, 09:39:02 AM »

How can so many totally incompetent people keep getting top jobs.

How can you, as Prime minister, just pick someone and say Right, you're chancellor, you're foreign secretary, you're, health
you're education etc?

Don't people need years of experience in a particular field to be able to do the job properly?

Apparently not. Just appoint some gormless ***** who voted for you in the leadership election.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56252 on: October 04, 2022, 09:44:10 AM »

How can you, as Prime minister, just pick someone and say Right, you're chancellor, you're foreign secretary, you're, health
you're education etc?

Don't people need years of experience in a particular field to be able to do the job properly?

Apparently not. Just appoint some gormless ***** who voted for you in the leadership election.

Correct. The reality is that Ms Truss selected her Cabinet based on those who supported her in the Leadership Election, & her long-term political friends, rather than ability. Just as Boris did I suppose.

Health Secretary Thesese Coffey is a great example, a long-term personal friend of Liz Truss. Seems very odd to appoint some as overweight as Ms Coffey as Health Secretary.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #56253 on: October 06, 2022, 03:55:19 PM »

you're education etc?

Correct. The reality is that Ms Truss selected her Cabinet based on those who supported her in the Leadership Election, & her long-term political friends, rather than ability. Just as Boris did I suppose.

Health Secretary Thesese Coffey is a great example, a long-term personal friend of Liz Truss. Seems very odd to appoint some as overweight as Ms Coffey as Health Secretary.

Not at all sure that someone’s weight should be a factor in choosing a Health Secretary. Nor that the post should only be filled by people with medical knowledge.
The job is about managing an institution that employs 1.3 million people, has a massive estate and spends about 12% of the country’s income. A scientific background (BSc and PhD in chemistry) and employment pre parliament in finance and property management seems no worse than many of the others who might hope to take over.

Politics eh! Bloody Hell

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #56254 on: October 06, 2022, 05:00:56 PM »

you're education etc?

Agree that filling posts solely on the basis they supported you is a pretty stupid and immature thing to do.

However, I think the skill sets needed to run these large departments can be considered quite distinctly from their fitness based on any specific field of expertise.

Increasingly and unfortunately, the primary field of expertise for politicians is being 'politicians' so the pool of talented people (leaders, listeners and life long learners, bloody L) is ever shrinking on all sides of parliament.

For perspective, and probably far from the best examples, but I would have trusted politicans like George Osborne, David Cameron, Harriet Harman, John McDonnell to run big departments with a degree of purpose & professionalism (not taking the p) irrespective of whether I agreed with their politics.

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56255 on: October 06, 2022, 06:28:44 PM »

you're education etc?

Not at all sure that someone’s weight should be a factor in choosing a Health Secretary. Nor that the post should only be filled by people with medical knowledge.
The job is about managing an institution that employs 1.3 million people, has a massive estate and spends about 12% of the country’s income. A scientific background (BSc and PhD in chemistry) and employment pre parliament in finance and property management seems no worse than many of the others who might hope to take over.

Politics eh! Bloody Hell

Yes, I guess you may have a point. I'm just miffed that I suspect the real reason she was chosen is that she's a long-tern friend of Ms Truss.

On a similar note, should someone's intellect be taken into account when selecting them as Prime Minister?

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #56256 on: October 06, 2022, 07:12:51 PM »

you're education etc?

Politics eh! Bloody Hell

Yes, I guess you may have a point. I'm just miffed that I suspect the real reason she was chosen is that she's a long-tern friend of Ms Truss.

On a similar note, should someone's intellect be taken into account when selecting them as Prime Minister?

You may well be right. My decision to reply was mostly the weight issue.

As ever though, Nirvana nails it.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56257 on: October 07, 2022, 08:50:29 PM »

My thanks to Jac who posted this Next Door.

What an extraordinary photo.

The bowler is, of course, Dennis Lillee.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56258 on: October 31, 2022, 08:59:41 AM »

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #56259 on: November 01, 2022, 10:17:21 PM »

Internet is undefeated Cheesy

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56260 on: November 01, 2022, 10:23:12 PM »

I really enjoy twitter. I keep away from the arguments & stuff, but there really is some fun stuff on there. Especially you dissing all the anti-vaxxers.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56261 on: November 02, 2022, 10:44:32 AM »

I was listening to an interview with an writer last night and the subject of the internet came up. The writer said that it was a blessing and a curse, A blessing because he could research stuff and a curse because it was a huge distraction.

He said, "I try to discipline myself, but how can you not be distracted by everything in the world?"

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56262 on: November 02, 2022, 10:58:50 AM »

I was listening to an interview with an writer last night and the subject of the internet came up. The writer said that it was a blessing and a curse, A blessing because he could research stuff and a curse because it was a huge distraction.

He said, "I try to discipline myself, but how can you not be distracted by everything in the world?"

Very good.

He's right though, it's both a blessing & a curse. We are both better & worse for it's existence. The genie won't ever go back in the bottle now though, that's for sure.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #56263 on: November 02, 2022, 01:19:03 PM »

I really enjoy twitter. I keep away from the arguments & stuff, but there really is some fun stuff on there. Especially you dissing all the anti-vaxxers.

As you say, it's the best and the worst of the internet.

I try to limit my time on there nowadays, but sometimes you can't help but prod a few animals.

I know one thing I've realised since 2020, is that I wish I'd paid more attention in science at school. I follow a few immunologists on there, and it's very interesting. Although a good way to make myself realise I'm even dumber than I thought I was Cheesy

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #56264 on: November 03, 2022, 03:28:40 PM »

You probably know all about this Tony, but just in case.....

https://londonist.com/london/transport/stockwell-bus-garage-visit?ref=related_links

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Pages: 1 ... 3747 3748 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 3754 3755 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: