blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296155 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »

Day -1.

OK, I'm all set for Vegas.

The cat (Angell) is safely installed in the local Cattery (he not happy), the milk is cancelled, all the bills paid. To hell with the lawn, it only grows again.

So Sunday morning it is, to join no doubt a 3 hour check-in & security queue at Gatwick.

I stop off on the way to pick up Dave "Compo" Compton, who lives right by the Airport. Stansted Airport, sadly. So, 2 hours from Derby to his house, another 90 minutes to Gatters, 3 hours queue, and that's before the 10 hour flight. Am I not looking forward to that? Oh well, a good book will help, I'm reading the story of DNA right now, mind-boggling stuff. Also the "Google" story - wow, them boys turned advertising on it's head.

We are booked into the Hollywood Resort (formerly the Aladdin), along with the rest of the Poker Week crew - Rhowena, Steve Meehan (blondeite "wormster"), Billy (cameraman), & Tim (Sound, Editing & Camera). They travelled out a few days ago, to organise the bars, I imagine.

It's my second trip to Vegas, I went in '05, but I overdid it that year, too much work, too much play, & not enough sleep nearly killed me. I was Updating, doing 425 work, writing a Daily Diary, & playing. Too much.

I was Sponsored into a $1,500 WSOP Event, (my first & last) & managed to cash, a big thrill, but I don't plan to play any WSOP jobbies this year. Compo & me, when not working, will cruise the gaffs & find nice little comps around town, & I'm looking forward to that part immensely.

Work-wise, the idea is to record 3 editions of Poker Week out there, & do some "Postcard from the Strip" stuff for Sky Poker. We have interviews lined up with some tidy faces, too, including Stu Fox, & one P Hellmuth Jnr.

Vegas, as a City/Town, whatever, does nothing for me. Architecturally, Wynn's apart, the place is dull as dishwater. Any place that advertises a 1/20th scale-model of the Eiffel Tower - real plastic mind - is never gonna flick my switches. And the heat.....43c, way too much, so it's feast or famine, unbearably hot outside, &  over air-conditioned inside. The scale, & number, of Hotels is awesome, beyond belief, they are huge. But if you wanna play Tourneys, or Cash, 24/7, Vegas is the place.

A big "thank you" to Poker Week & Sky Poker, who are picking up the tab. I know, I'm a jammy git.

OK, that's it for today, I got a queue to join.

Name that tune.

It's wonderful to be here,

It's certainly a thrill.

How easy is that, for starters?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:45:30 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 04:01:54 PM »

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band, The Beatles

Name that tune.

It's wonderful to be here,

It's certainly a thrill.

How easy is that, for starters?

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 04:03:20 PM »

Might that be... Sgt Pepper's lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles??

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 04:04:33 PM »

Damn... must learn to type faster!!

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »

Have a fine old time Tikay 

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 04:28:46 PM »

It'll certainly be old.

Enjoy yourself, and looking forward to your next update.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 04:33:37 PM »

It'll certainly be old.

Enjoy yourself, and looking forward to your next update.

If Virgin Airlines is anything like Virgin Trains, it may take a while. I am not a fan of wooly jumper, or his plastic trains & paper planes.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 04:36:22 PM »

Picture of tikay during his 2005 tour of Sin City:

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »

Picture of tikay during his 2005 tour of Sin City:

Uncanny, that's  the exact hand I got busted with - 

Bainn
The Preacher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 04:50:04 PM »

Good luck and enjoy yourself, has Vegas beened warned you are coming ?

As an aside, do OAP's get treated better over there, ie, get to the front of the Buffet queue ?

"Decerno, exsequor"

"It's nothing personal, just business."
The_duke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 04:57:43 PM »

The one in your hotel (10am 2pm 7pm $60 alternate first hour 4k chip stack) is a nice structure. Might be a bit cheap for a high roller like you but I found it OK... first prize was regularly over $1k

A great many people believe they are thinking, when in fact they are just rearranging their prejudices
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »

I am not a fan of wooly jumper, or his plastic trains & paper planes.
[/quote]

What ? No defence of the wooly jumper from Robert, he must have given them up 

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 05:41:15 PM »

The one in your hotel (10am 2pm 7pm $60 alternate first hour 4k chip stack) is a nice structure. Might be a bit cheap for a high roller like you but I found it OK... first prize was regularly over $1k

Thank you. As it happens, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I will have a few pals with me who will be comfy with that sort of buy-in, so that'll do nicely. We are there to work, so serious poker can wait until I get back home. For me, I can never be happier than playing the mid-price comps in the UK, so I'm happy to preserve my Bank-Roll for when I get home. My game gets by in £250 & £500 comps around the UK, & that's what I really enjoy best. I am taking around $2,500 & some ££'s, maybe £2k, but the plan is to still have most of it when I get home. My current Live Bankroll will last beyond 2007, & I ain't gonna risk blowing it in tacky-town.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 05:50:56 PM »

Thank you. As it happens, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I will have a few pals with me who will be comfy with that sort of buy-in, so that'll do nicely. We are there to work, so serious poker can wait until I get back home. For me, I can never be happier than playing the mid-price comps in the UK, so I'm happy to preserve my Bank-Roll for when I get home. My game gets by in £250 & £500 comps around the UK, & that's what I really enjoy best. I am taking around $2,500 & some ££'s, maybe £2k, but the plan is to still have most of it when I get home. My current Live Bankroll will last beyond 2007, & I ain't gonna risk blowing it in tacky-town.

Actually, just to correct myself, I hope to play 1, maybe 2, bigger comps, maybe $1 or so. I've never played at the Bellagio, so one there, & I'd like to try Wynnns or Venetian, maybe The Orleans, too. The Rio holds no attraction to me at all, sod going to Vegas to play in a tent or a warehouse, so any WSOP comps are unlikely.

M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »

TK

Binions have a nice little $10k guarantee comp, $150 buy in.

Also, smaller buy in, their $70 + $40 rebuy comp aint too bad either - managed to chop one of those 5 ways Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: