blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272576 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6327003 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »

Nice one.
I did get a call from Sky to help with some filming, but had to say no (now there's a first). Had a meeting in Milton Keynes instead, but the day job pays the bills. Shame would normally jump at the chance.  Sad

Yes, we've been asking a lot of folks to do Interviews

haha - never mind Indy, I'm sure you were first on their list!!!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:30 PM »

Whilst in Dublin last weekend, amongst the EPT stragglers, most (well, all?) of whom were from Mainland Europe, I got asked the same question 3 times by youngsters. "Vot iz zat, have you been to a party or a vedding" they each said, pointing at my Poppy.

"Err, no, it's a Poppy".

"A poppy"?

"Yes, for Armistice Day".

"For vot?"

"We wear them to remember our dead".

"Ah, zis is gudden, ve see now".

It's a job to know what to say, really.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1607 on: November 08, 2007, 10:08:34 PM »

One gripe with Sky.  No one knows when these programmes are on.  Can they provide a list of poker programmes for the next fortnight/month?

Surely that's not too much to ask?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 08, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »

Whilst in Dublin last weekend, amongst the EPT stragglers, most (well, all?) of whom were from Mainland Europe, I got asked the same question 3 times by youngsters. "Vot iz zat, have you been to a party or a vedding" they each said, pointing at my Poppy.

"Err, no, it's a Poppy".

"A poppy"?

"Yes, for Armistice Day".

"For vot?"

"We wear them to remember our dead".

"Ah, zis is gudden, ve see now".

It's a job to know what to say, really.

My little girl is just coming up for five, and told me she wanted 'one of the flowers' everyone is wearing.  I explained to her that it was called a poppy, and what we wore them for.  The next morning, she was playing 'poppy seller' and asked me if I'd like a poppy 'for all the brave soldiers'.  Bless Smiley

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 08, 2007, 10:13:25 PM »

One gripe with Sky.  No one knows when these programmes are on.  Can they provide a list of poker programmes for the next fortnight/month?

What Programmes are you referring to Daniel?

If you mean "The Club", it's a "soft-launch", so it's not been Promo'd too much yet, but it reverts to 5 shows a week from Monday, I think it's 8pm each night, repeated during the day. Once it's settled, it will be scheduled.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1610 on: November 08, 2007, 10:24:13 PM »

What Programmes are you referring to Daniel?

If you mean "The Club", it's a "soft-launch", so it's not been Promo'd too much yet, but it reverts to 5 shows a week from Monday, I think it's 8pm each night, repeated during the day. Once it's settled, it will be scheduled.

All the poker programmes on Sky, on their multitude of channels.

I'm sure their viewing figures would improve for them if people were aware when they were on.   

If a thread was opened up on here, would some bods from Sky come on and post  to inform us of what's on and when?  Just a thought.  They could even provide a short summary of what's on the shows to whet people's appetites.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 08, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »

Or a Forum of course....

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 08, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »

They could even provide a short summary of what's on the shows to whet people's appetites.

Or video clips!

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 08, 2007, 10:34:26 PM »

I am always fascinated to hear how different folks earn their living.

One of the Guests on "The Club" one night this week was Claire McCarthy, who is London Regional Manager (or somesuch) for Poker Project, & it's her 2nd appearance on The Club. I also met her at High Wycombe with Poker week a few weeks back when we filmed a Regional Final. Poker Project is one of the better-organised (& strictly legal) Pub Poker Outfits, & as such, Sky Poker have sponsored them, & have a Partnering deal of some sort with them.

I was chatting with Claire in the Green Room yesterday before she did her piece, & it turns out she is a session-singer for 5 or 6 Bands, & does Voice-Overs for Commercials & the like. She's just done one for SlimFast, (who, what?)& the fee was mouth-watering. She also gets a tidy fee for each gig she does for the various bands she's with. Apparently, Barmitzvah's & Jewish Weddings pay well, too, & she does plenty of them.

Real name "McCarthy", she goes under the stage name of "Macca", & her main Band is "shortskirtz". I'm not flying any flag for her, but here's shortskirtz's website (partly completed it seems).

http://www.shortskirtz.co.uk/

And here's one of several clips of her in action on YouTube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JQMjzZhcxVU

Can't think how the Band got that name.

Smashing girl, full of zest & vitality, & that nice bit of edgey attitude that's so lovely to see.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 08, 2007, 10:37:25 PM »

Or a Forum of course....

Wow, now there's an idea.....

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1615 on: November 08, 2007, 10:42:49 PM »

They could even provide a short summary of what's on the shows to whet people's appetites.

Or video clips!

Daft idea.  Where would they get them from?

Roll Eyes

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 08, 2007, 11:45:12 PM »

I'd walk a mile in tight boots to avoid daft aggro, & I am very happy playing at Luton these days, a really great bunch of lads. But I managed to get involved in not one, but two, spots of bother down there last night.

After leaving Feltham, & being busy all day, I really fancied some cash-action, so rung up Jim McShane (77Dave) to ask if there were any seats likely to be available in the Dealers Choice, as I frequently do. He said there should be a seat soon, & he'd put my name on the list. I don't know the Rules at Luton about this, but Jim seemed to think that was allowed. I subsequently gathered that you can do that as long as you arrive within 1 hour, which I duly did.

I arrive, check the Board, & I'm "next up" for the DC, with "12.32" chalked against my name, which was when I rung up.

I find a seat in the £250 Hold'Em while I am waiting, & suddenly, I'm involved in a bit of grief.

I somehow get it all-in pre- all £250 - after a Raising war with a deep-stacker. I've got AK suited, & I flip my cards on their back before the Board is dealt. Matey Boy, holding A-Q it later transpired, keeps his cards concealed - his perfect right in a cash-game. I flop trips, but it comes 4 clubs, & I don't have a club. Matey Boy is studying his hand. We wait 5, 10, seconds. "Turn 'em over please mate" I say, "then we can see what you've got". It's a weird Board, all Paint almost, & 4 clubs, & to be fair, it's tough to see what's what, but I know I've got top trips. We wait another 10 seconds, but by now, Matey Boy is shaking his head, & about to muck it appears, & the Dealer starts to push the pot my way. "Turn your hand over mate, then we can see" I repeat. Suddenly, he produces the A of Clubs, & it's his Pot, fine. But the whole table are shooting black looks at him now, for his slow-roll. Which, to be honest, it was not - he just never realised he had it. Which is the whole point - when there is no more betting action, & the Board is out there, there is no excuse for not tabling - or mucking - your hand - reasonably promptly. A few words are exchanged along these lines, & so I decide to pop outside for a gasper, I don't want this crud spoling my evening by his poor manners & ignorance.

When I get back, he's apparently had enough of the comments from everyone, & has upped sticks & gone. Oops, but such is life, & the game continues in good spirit. One player less, thanks to tikay......

A few minutes later the Seat comes free on the Dealers Choice, & one of the players, knowing I'm (officially) next, calls me across. "Seat here for the Fish", thank you.

At which point, Ambro, a good mate, & huge fun, claims the Seat. "It's mine, I was here before tikay arrived". (which he was).

OK, OK, I'm not that fussed, I can wait, & I don't argue, there's a few words spoken by the players to Ambro, returned with interest. I really don't want the atmo marred, so I say, "look guys, leave it be, ty very much, but I'll take the next Seat". But Ambro is chuntering now, he's in full flow, & he's got the Seat. No probs.

Now Nina - who, I'm delighted to say, is back from Holiday (much missed) sees the situation. "Seat at the DC for tikay" she says. And it all goes off again, Ambro is getting hot under the collar, I'm sat at the Hold 'Em Table, somewhat embarrassed. "Ambro, I'm not fusssed, you have the seat Mate", but he's head-on with Nina, & it's all going off now. Eventually, she & he agree to differ, (it seems Jim was right, & players CAN book their seat provided the arrive within 60 minutes), & suddenly, Ambro gets up & walks out in a huff. Bloody hell, I just wanted a quiet evening with a bunch of mates......So that's two players less, thanks to tikay......

Now, Nina says "come on tikay, it's your seat, it's empty" & I skulk acrosss, feeling rather bad.

Why is everyone so tetchy about everything these days? It seems the world & his wife go looking for aggro. Sheesh.

I really ain't that fussed about such trivilaties, but everyone wants to go to war over the daftest things these days. It must be the e numbers.

Oh, & yes, I do sypmpathise entirely with Ambro, & told him, sincerely, that he could keep the Seat.

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1617 on: November 09, 2007, 12:07:30 AM »

The rule at Luton regarding the waiting list for cash games is quite complicated but ill have a go at trying to explain it.

These rules were brought in as it believe that something similar is in place at the Vic. Luton though of course doesnt get the same traffic as the Vic.

So, If you phone up and puut your name on the list your name is written up with a time next to it. You then have an hour to turn up or your name is taken off of the board.

If the game starts before you arrive or if the game is already running then any players in the room have first option on any avalible seats.

Upon arrival if the game is full you dont have a claim on any seat in the game but your name holds it postition on the waiting list.

If someone arrives before you or is knocked out of the comp and the game is full they go on the list before you even though you are not yet in the building but as long as you do arrive within the given 60 mins.

As i said quite complicated butthe rule has been in place for about 18 months now but i do understand that it is under review

Next Question

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1618 on: November 09, 2007, 12:13:49 AM »

Tikay

Whats the chances of you getting Flushy back to Luton to sit in the d/c again

Flushy is always good for any cash game

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 09, 2007, 12:26:48 AM »

So, I take my seat, & sit schtum for a while, it's all a bit embarrasing, like when someone farts in Church.

But it gradually warms up, & the craic is great. Hinge & Bracket, Lalit Khujuria, Jim McShane, John Vaccarrelli (sp?) who was very quiet, a Mafia geezer, the usual crowd really.

The female half of Hinge & Bracket is in fine voice & form. Moan moan moan. Moan. Moan moan. Moan moan moan moan. The toast is too dry/hot/cold/too much butter/not enough butter. I was chatting to Lalit about the terrible tragedy in Finland - he has Finnish connections - & Mrs Moanalot says "what happened?". "8 kids got shot dead" I say. "Shame it was not some of the Luton Dealers" she replies. And I think she was serious. Some poor Dealer at Luton (in Mrs Moanalot's opinion) made a Dealing error last week, & she won't let it go. To err is, apparently, terminal. The other half of the duet, is a decent guy, but he spends a lot of time with Mrs Moanalot, & I think it affects him sometimes.

I gradually build up my stack - I'd dropped £500 in the Hold-Em originally, but pulled most of it back by the time I sat at the DC. But then I do the lot in a hand against Jim, when my Jacks full get rivered by the Case Ace & he takes a whopper. Such is Omaha, no prob. So I pull up another £500, gulp......

After such a long day, I promised myself 3am LATEST. So, come 5am, we all decide, "one more orbit, & that's it". I'm about £600 down on the night by now.

I've been jousting a lot with Lalit. For those who don't know Lalit, he's one of the two Khujaria Brothers, & he's just tremendous fun, & a great sport, & I've played with him all over the UK & Europe. I like him immensely, he has terrific morals & values, not an enemy on earth. Seriously rich, but he plays to win, & will always give good action. Look up his recod on any Poker Database, he's got good game, especially at Omaha.

So me & him are clashing, all in good heart, "are you in the Pot Lalit? - then I call" sorta thing, & vice-versa.

The last hand arrives, I'm on about £750, & I'm about £300 down on the night, which is OK.

It's Omaha Hi-Low, & as always, Lalit Raises it up. It gets to me, & I'm holding.....

Two Diamonds

So, Double-Suited Aces, & A-deuce. Hi-Low. Lalit is taunting me, "come on tikay, you know you want to call".

I give it a dwell. This is awkward, but I fancy a little mischief. I rarely Raise pre in Hi Low full table - they all call anyway, & it just makes life expensive post-flop - but I say, quietly, to the Dealer, the splendid Adrian - "POT".  It's £45 I think, & Lalit's face is a picture. "What? WHAT? You re-raised me?" And he laughs his socks off. Then plonks a bunch of £25 chips in the middle.

Oh SHIT.

Well, this is interesting. If I just call, & see a bad flop, I know Lalit will bet me off it, no matter what he's holding. So, it's now or never, the lot or nothing.

Hmm. diddly do, diddly da.

Oh bugger it. This is more like Bingo than Poker, this pot-ramming malarky, but I decide to go for it. "RE-RAISE" I say confidently. Quavering voice, mind! Now it's easy, Lalit repeats the trick, & the lot is in the middle before we see the flop - about £1,600. Bloody nora.

The flop comes.....

Not much help there, need runner-runner for the Low (probably a split Low, too), a gutshot straight, that's about it, other than my two Aces, & what use are they in 6 card Post-Flop?

But the Turn comes a lovely Ten, to give me trips. Once again, one of the danglers does the job.

The river is a blank, & my trips are good, & there is no Low. (We would have chopped the Low, Lalit had A-2). So, one way or another, I scoop £1,600, glory be. In fact, Lalit had a weird (& not very good) hand, holding A-2-x-K-K-K......! And yes, Lalit knew he was weak, but he loves a gamble, & do you know, I think he half-wanted me to get my lossses back.

I know one thing - the journey home flew by. Whereas if I'd lost that Pot, as Murray Brown wisely commented, it would have been some shit drive up the M1.

So, somehow, by hook or crook, the Bankroll has done quite nicely since The Fitzwilliam in Dublin on Saturday, & we are a nice few bob ahead.

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: