blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 679 680 [681] 682 683 684 685 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334525 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10200 on: November 06, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »

My degree dissertation was "The Use of Prime Numbers in Mathematics Through History", if I can find a copy I could link to it - it's a really interesting read. Honest.

It's sub title was, "A Brief History of Prime", although apparently I'm not the only one who has thought of this idea.

If you didn't number the pages in your dissertation 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 etc I'll be disappointed.

No, I got into enough trouble as it was.

I can't remember the percentage but it got a "2:1" grade - the feedback I got was that I could have got a "first" grade if I had a bit more mathematical rigour and a bit less puns and gags. 

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10201 on: November 06, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »

My degree dissertation was "The Use of Prime Numbers in Mathematics Through History", if I can find a copy I could link to it - it's a really interesting read. Honest.

It's sub title was, "A Brief History of Prime", although apparently I'm not the only one who has thought of this idea.

If you didn't number the pages in your dissertation 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 etc I'll be disappointed.

I can't remember the percentage but it got a "2:1" grade - the feedback I got was that I could have got a "first" grade if I had a bit more mathematical rigour and a bit less puns and gags. 

Pah!  Rigour is over-rated, especially when there are gags and puns to be made.

So anyway, the Riemann hypothesis...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: November 06, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »

That pretty much covers it.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: November 06, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »

It's all so much clearer now. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
12barblues

View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: November 06, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

Can you explain the Riemann hypothesis in stupid layman's terms?

'The Music Of The Primes' by Marcus de Sautoy covers this in as near to layman's terms as you are going to get.  Excellent book by the guy who did the recent BBC series on the history of maths and has just been appointed as Prof. for public understanding of science or some such title, taking over from Richard Dawkins.

If life is a game of cards, somebody is cheating.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10205 on: November 06, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »

Can you explain the Riemann hypothesis in stupid layman's terms?

'The Music Of The Primes' by Marcus de Sautoy covers this in as near to layman's terms as you are going to get.  Excellent book by the guy who did the recent BBC series on the history of maths and has just been appointed as Prof. for public understanding of science or some such title, taking over from Richard Dawkins.

thumbs up 

Off to check it out now...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: November 06, 2008, 02:38:07 PM »

Is 1 not a prime number then Huh?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10207 on: November 06, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »

See now what I don't get is why not being dividable by anything except one and itself makes a prime number special. Sure, it makes it different, but why is it special? Is it more useful than other numbers?

16 can be divided in all sorts of ways, isn't that better?

The older I get, the better I was.
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: November 06, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »

That pretty much covers it.

if it does cover it go claim your million.

I've only read the last couple of pages on here but I presume this conversation tangent has already covered the Beal conjecture? Far easier problem for people to get their heads round imo.

ariston

better lucky than good
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: November 06, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »

Is 1 not a prime number then Huh?

no, a prime number needs to be divisible by exactly 2 whole numbers. 1 is only divisible by 1 number which also happens to be 1

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10210 on: November 06, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »

See now what I don't get is why not being dividable by anything except one and itself makes a prime number special. Sure, it makes it different, but why is it special? Is it more useful than other numbers?

Prime numbers have been a very important part of cryptography.  That's one practical use for them.  The cicadas also find them useful Grin.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10211 on: November 06, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »

Prime numbers have been a very important part of cryptography.

And the other numbers haven't?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10212 on: November 06, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »

Oh and err  Smiley

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10213 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »

Prime numbers have been a very important part of cryptography.

And the other numbers haven't?

The reason prime numbers are so useful is explained here:

http://www.claymath.org/posters/primes/

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: November 06, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »

Perfect Numbers are also special.

They are numbers whose positive divisors are also their sum.

E.G.
6 is a perfect number because
6 = 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 x 2 x 3

Perfect Number's aren't useful at all.

But the prime numbers weren't useful until relatively recently.

All the numbers are interesting, some are more interesting than others, they get studied because they are interesting not because they are useful.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 679 680 [681] 682 683 684 685 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: