blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Did I play this badly?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did I play this badly?  (Read 1300 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:51:37 AM »

Seem to have lost the hand history for this hand, so will have to do it as best as I can from memory.  Down to last 18 of a MTT, and I am about 14th in chips with about 15bbs.  Blinds are 12000/24000.  11-18 get the same money.

I am dealt  Two Diamonds Two Clubs on the BB.  Table chip leader raises from the button to 72000 and I call.  (CL has been at table for a few rounds and not played many hands, but has raised from late position a few times and consistently bet or raised in position post flop).  Flop comes  .  My thinking is that CL most likely has two overcards, and I bet out for 72000.  CL raises to 144000.  I call and push my last 100000 in when the turn comes .  Insta call from CL with  .

What could/should I have done differently here?  Should I have pushed all my chips in earlier, or folded to the flop raise? 

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:57:40 AM »

I would fold to his raise Claire. Im not risking all my chips with 22. you dont know if he has cards. most anything is better than 22

better luck next time:)

Patience is a virtue.

ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:00:21 AM »

i just wanna know where you get such a great structure!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:04:18 AM »

analysiswise you call with that hand to hit, you missed so it's a dead hand.
His range with the button is wide, with the button AND the chiplead its much wider, so you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LET GO.
No offense intended but it's a really bad play on your part.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
CelticGeezeer

Viva la Quinta Brigada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 02:07:19 AM »

Push or fold preflop

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 02:09:33 AM »

id ship it preflop most likely, if his range is wide enough its pretty hard for pushing to be exploitable here, but folding isn't bad if he has been quite tight. The problem with calling is that you are betting into the wind with your hand, and in effect 22 is about the worst hand to play like this because if he calls, he pretty much always has you beat, and you have 2/6 outs max, and he very rarely folds a better hand.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 08:02:55 AM »

Thanks all. I've just realised this is almost identical to the last hand I posted in this thread so it's obviously a weakness I need to get sorted out.  I think if it had been several hours earlier I would have folded to the preflop raise and waited for a better opportunity to get my chips in, but I do find my judgement gets clouded when I'm tired.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 08:18:01 AM »

I'm pushing pre-flop most times here, particularly against a frequent raiser.

If I know the player doesn't fold to re-raises then I might call and push on a low flop.

If he's a calling station who won't pass whatever I do, then I just fold.

15 big blinds about perfect for an all-in reraise, in this case the raiser has aces, so he's never going to lay it down, which pretty much cooks your goose...

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
WellChief

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »

You don't reallly have an idea what the raisers range is as he's only been at the table for a few rounds as you say, I think pushing pre-flop very reckless given you have 15 big blinds and the fact there are no antes.  This is an auto-fold for me unless I've been at a table with the CL for a long time and know how likely a pass is. 

That said, pushing is still better than flat calling.  Just fold next time and wait for better spots.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 02:55:15 PM »

This is exactly the reason i HATE 22, its so tempting to call his raise to try and hit the magic 'set'... Then once you call and the flop comes raggy then with the value of the pot already its easy to lose chips here. Personnally i fold after seeing the flop, but I can see why you tried this play...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »

Yes, I agree with most of the posts here.

With 14xBB and the same money for 11-18 there is a need to gamble and add to your stack. Picking up a pp in the BB when facing a raise is certainly an opportunity to gamble.

However, flat-calling just isn't an option here.

You are calling to see a flop. But what sort of flop are you hoping to see? Flopping a set is about 9-1 and you will be playing this pot heads-up....so you will never actually be paid anywhere near the true value of hitting this unlikely outcome.

Taking 2-1 on a 9-1 shot is not a good gamble and so should be avoided. What compounds this bad gamble is the fact that you will be oop after the flop, playing against the chip leader, and have little play in your own stack. All these factors suggest calling is a non-starter.

Pushing pre-flop is a better play because...you may have the best hand, you do have enough chips to get your opponent to fold if he was stealing and you negate your positional disadvantage in the hand.

Folding is another viable alternative however.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 01:33:13 PM »

when u lead out at flop 72k and he doubles u know 100% ur beat here.... fold on flop if not pre flop.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: