blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Live cash games against reckless nutcases. Luton here we go!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live cash games against reckless nutcases. Luton here we go!  (Read 5978 times)
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »

Hi

I squeezed in long live £1/£2 session over the weekend (at gutshot, maybe that was where you were as well) and noticed a few things in particular which I consider mistakes / total nonsense, which even the better players were doing (and I do as well). These are more apparent in live games because you can hear people explain their awesome thought processes during / after hands.

One important thing to remember when thinking about live hand analysis is that probably half the table will be horrible horrible players so there is little point trying to analyse/critique their play because their thought process only makes sense to themselves or people with a similar mindset, just think about your play in relation to how you think they act.

Here are some:
Letting pot sizes get out of control with weak hands (and OOP) - So, in your example hand you said you wanted to keep the pot size small, yet you ended up playing for stacks. This is an issue. I would have check called that all the way. This would have cost you like £200 max rather than £400 or whatever, which obviously still isn't great, but I think in the long run this is a better play.

"I just wanted to take the pot down right there" & "Protecting my hand!" - Soooo many people say this and in my opinion it's just not the right way to think at all. You are either betting for value or you are bluffing.

Betting for information / Defining your hand - see above.

Not thinking ahead or having a plan - I saw often people having really huge dwell ups thinking about what to do (specifically in response to some one raising them) where from the previous action / pot size the player should have already had a plan about what to do. For instance, in hand 1 if you are betting that river, you just have to call that push, I'm glad you did call it, and hope you instacalled it. Hand 2, again I'm glad you pushed, because that must have plan after you checked the flop right? (on a side note I'd have just lead out that flop)

Betting too small in relation to the pot - I saw this happening way too often (obviously there are some times when it's good to bet like 1/4 of the pot or something). It's a bit tricky because the pots get so big since most people are such huge calling stations pre flop, but you just have to not be a pussy about it bet a decent size if you are going to bet at all.

Trying to get in on the action - You said "Been playing live cash the last couple of nights to disastrous effect. I lost a ton but im utterly astounded at how odd the play is". This bascailly translates to the players are horrible and you should be able to beat them but you didn't. This is a totally acceptable thing to think and it's almost certainly true. I also think it myself and it used to frustrate me when I lost significantly. One of the main reasons why I was losing was that I'd be watching all the insane action going down with people having showdowns for £1k+ pots with like bottom pair and I want to get involved myself, so I'd start calling like £30 preflop OOP with total rubbish garbage hands, and this is just a major leak, but it's hard to stop yourself. Just thought I'd mention this as something to think about in case you also do it.

That's quite a long post and it's supposed to be constructive, not critising.

Cliff notes: Hand 1 I would have check called all the way, as played call the raise. Hand2 shove.

I accept your constructive criticism's and to be honest im appalled at how i played the 1st hand. Im not that annoyed by my decisions per se but im annoyed with the speed with which i reacted to the table conditions. I used to play a lot live @ Luton and was a winning player, but havent played live cash for so long i'd forgotten a few key points. Internet cash game players are soooooooooooo much better that i find myself thinking on different wavelengths to my live opponents. Things like blocker betting the river, inducing the bluff, simple things that all onliners do well, live opp's are totally ignorant of. Iv highlighted a few points to let you know why i did what i did. I feel a bit like im defending my actions, but im only posting this to get other (better) players opinions and hopefully learn something new. Good discussion btw, nice to have different views on the same topic.

"Letting pot sizes get out of control with weak hands (and OOP) - So, in your example hand you said you wanted to keep the pot size small, yet you ended up playing for stacks. This is an issue. I would have check called that all the way. This would have cost you like £200 max rather than £400 or whatever, which obviously still isn't great, but I think in the long run this is a better play."

Sorry but i fundamentally disagree with you here. Calling poker is losing poker in my opinion. I like to be the aggressor most of the time and to use bets to get information. This is the style of poker i taught myself and (touch wood) im winning long-term. I do appreciate that my bet sizes in relation to the pot were not big enough, this wont occur again.

"Not thinking ahead or having a plan - I saw often people having really huge dwell ups thinking about what to do (specifically in response to some one raising them) where from the previous action / pot size the player should have already had a plan about what to do. For instance, in hand 1 if you are betting that river, you just have to call that push, I'm glad you did call it, and hope you instacalled it. Hand 2, again I'm glad you pushed, because that must have plan after you checked the flop right? (on a side note I'd have just lead out that flop)"

Hand 1, im betting the river to get full value from other aces and other made 2 pairs. Im not insta-calling as the information available to me has changed. Namely, he now wants to shove, there are no missed draws so what am i beating and what could he hold. You say you check call all the way. Its a side pot we are fighting for. Im trying to BUILD a side pot so i can win more money, im going to do this by betting. You plan of checking the flop, turn and then calling on the river when he makes his flush doesnt sound great, i guess you lose less, but you certainly win a lot less too.

Hand 2. Again, iv checked to let an idiot bet his 10 and get pot. After the action goes bet , raise, infront of me i have new information. Namely that player 2 has a hand with which he wants to see no further cards and shut down the action now. I understand this with 106 on a 10, 6, 2 board. What other card that comes on the turn gives you confidence (when you dont boat)? Which is why i like his play. "("I just wanted to take the pot down right there" & "Protecting my hand!" - Soooo many people say this and in my opinion it's just not the right way to think at all. You are either betting for value or you are bluffing." )"Dont particularly agree with you here either, holdem is a 5 card game. Fold equity is a tool to be embraced and letting people play catchup in multiway pots is dangerous.

ty for long response and always nice to have a good debate.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 12:16:16 AM »

Alex.

If you were a winning player before, then I assure you that you still have that same edge.

Your two examples illustrate perfectly just how poor your opponents are.

Obviously in the long-term they will end up doing a shit load and you will end up in profit. You shouldn't worry too much about having a couple of losing days playing live- it's a very, very small sample of hands (just 300-400 perhaps?)

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 02:54:49 AM »

Not at all worried m8 Smiley Just interesting the diff between live and online opponents.
maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 03:56:35 AM »

good posts guys.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »

Not at all worried m8 Smiley Just interesting the diff between live and online opponents.

Good- cos I was worried. Smiley

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:16 PM »

very good thread Alex

That game is mad, far higher variance than playing those levels online

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 12:30:06 PM »

very good thread Alex

That game is GOOD. Its the players that are MAD

Variance will be higher.

You and I know Alex, that the game itself is a gold mine - just have to put up with shocking calls now and again when they hit. But even when they do hit, you know that the money is on offer ALL the time (until they leave), you just have to get it before another good player does.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 12:32:01 PM »

very good thread Alex

That game is GOOD. Its the players that are MAD

Variance will be higher.

You and I know Alex, that the game itself is a gold mine - just have to put up with shocking calls now and again when they hit. But even when they do hit, you know that the money is on offer ALL the time (until they leave), you just have to get it before another good player does.

yep I agree, I wasn't saying that the game isn't attractive, its merely populated with some of the most shocking players we all play against, tis going to have some swings!

My eyes are open wide
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 12:35:39 PM »

Indeed it does m8 - I would say it is now far swingier (if that is a word!) than the DC game

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »

Well the DC game is populated by 3-5 rocks, and onyl a few who you know will provide gamble, so yes

My eyes are open wide
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »

Deffo playing more cash @ Luton on Sat and Sunday evenings now. Fish frying time.  Been rethinking strategy all week Smiley

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 07:32:18 PM »

Even I am contemplating sitting in it for a nut peddle....that'll change the game for you Alex...!!!

My eyes are open wide
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »

Even I am contemplating sitting in it for a nut peddle....that'll change the game for you Alex...!!!

Been v suprised you dont play it tbh Tighty. But its password protected to prevent solid types entering. Sorry m8.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 07:37:06 PM »

only don't play it cos I am so busy work-wise...rush back to emails

Password protected or not, expect a whale in the game soon

My eyes are open wide
M3boy

View Profile WWW