blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:22:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  A $10NL hand
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A $10NL hand  (Read 1797 times)
matt_hilary
Probation

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:57:04 PM »

Ok, first time posting one of these so let me know if any additional info required. No idea how to get this from the hand history I've got so I'll have to do it manually.

Also try not to let the fact that it's $10NL influence you too much.

Stacks:
Button $12.55
SB $13.96
BB $10.00
Hero (UTG) $7.40
UTG+1 $11.80
Villain (CO) $9.73

Preflop:
Hero dealt  , calls $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, Villain calls $0.10, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop:

SB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, UTG+1 calls $0.40, Villain calls $0.40, SB calls $0.30.

Turn:

SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.40, Villain calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero raises to $1.60, UTG+1 folds, Villain calls, SB folds.

River:

Hero first to act, stack of $5.30. Villain stack $7.63. Pot size $5.80.

Right, in my position what do you put the villain on, and what do you do next? Also any advice on the way I've played it so far?

All responses appreciated, thanks.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:06:03 PM »

Welcome to blonde thumbs up

As for the hand, without any information on the players, I guess he could have a king or could be on the spades flush draw.  Of course, he could also be on straight draw (that he's made on the river).

I'd expect to be ahead here (without any further information) - and so you want to make the most out of the hand.  If he's missed his flush draw, he's unlikely to call any bet, so a check might be in order in the hope he bluffs at you and you can raise him.  Or an over-bet might look to him that you have a busted flush draw...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 10:13:40 PM »

Welcome to Blonde.

Based on what you've said, I'm gonna put the result on him holding K7 or 43. Can't see him flat calling anything with K5 or K6 and I cant see him staying in the hand with 98.

As for after the river, I would check, and dependent on the size of his bet, either check-call a large bet or check-raise a small bet. If he re-raises, I would fold.
matt_hilary
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »

Yeah sorry, forgot to add I've been at the table less than a full orbit so probably no read either way.
geeforce1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »

Welcome to Blonde.

Based on what you've said, I'm gonna put the result on him holding K7 or 43. Can't see him flat calling anything with K5 or K6 and I cant see him staying in the hand with 98.

As for after the river, I would check, and dependent on the size of his bet, either check-call a large bet or check-raise a small bet. If he re-raises, I would fold.

fold to after u have check raised? surely by then ur commited?
crussty

you can't even spell pocer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 11:59:49 PM »

1st post for me also 

I personally think you are ahead at this point and would put him on a busted flush draw. It is always hard to tell when you haven't seen enough of the player (which is why I personally watch a few orbits before joining a cash table). Reason I wouldn't put him on a King is due to him only flat calling the bet on the turn. He would have raised here with a king considering the draws out there so I think he himself is on a draw or has an unlikely full house already made. I'd probably bet small on river (about $1.50) making him priced in to call with a 5/6/7 or raising all in with a busted draw. If he has a straight then there isn't much you can do.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »

Welcome to Blonde.

fold to after u have check raised? surely by then ur commited?

Would depend on the size of the bet, for example if he bets minimum bet, raise to 4x the bet, if he goes over the top, look at pot value. Always better to get away with losing some than losing it all. Thinking about it, it would be better to say fold if he re-raises all in, but call anything up to 3/4 of what you have left.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:41:10 PM »

TBH I haven't got a clue what he's got, as at this level he could be completely clueless (although he could be solid of course).

He could have

a) King (that will be ahead sometimes, but behind more often)
b) Pocket pair (other than 55, 66, 77)
c) 55 or 66 or 77
d) 78
e) Flush Draw

If you bet small, I think b) and d) call, e) normally folds, but sometimes raises, a) probably raises, and c) raises.
If you bet bigger (2/3 pot or more) then b) and d) don't call, and flush draw folds (i.e. you keep all the hands in who are beating you, and lose the ones that aren't).
If you check, a) and c) will bet, b) and d) may bet sometimes, and e) will fire sometimes, and, depending on the player, maybe most of the time.

I think therefore, a small bet or check are both ok (I would probably check), as long as you are prepared to call whatever bet he makes.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »

You want to max any king he has here and get money from busted flush draws.

You dont worry about sets and AK as he would have shut down the action on the turn/ re-raised on the flop.

Best way to do this here is cr the river. And that means all-in. Dont worry about being beaten and losing, you are good here waaaaaaaaaaay too often to play it safe and by doing so, you lose hand value. CR all-in my advice.

Oh, and welcome to blonde.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 04:23:35 PM »

You want to max any king he has here and get money from busted flush draws.

You dont worry about sets and AK as he would have shut down the action on the turn/ re-raised on the flop.

If this were at a different level then I would agree, but the lower down you go, the more likely people do not know how to get max value. Therefore, I wouldn't rule out AK or a set.

Not saying a CRAI is not the right play - probably is, although I think it is marginal.

totalise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 06:09:27 AM »

checking here is gross, people at these levels are callers, not bettors, so you bet and get a call from many worse hands. Theres a time and a place for checkraising, but on the river after check raising the turn with trips at 10nl, this isnt the right spot... and the main thing you need to think about is the function of hands that will bet when you check but wont call a bet, vs hands that will call when you bet and will check if you check. Betting is best here by a massive distance, given turn action.

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »

checking here is gross, people at these levels are callers, not bettors, so you bet and get a call from many worse hands. Theres a time and a place for checkraising, but on the river after check raising the turn with trips at 10nl, this isnt the right spot... and the main thing you need to think about is the function of hands that will bet when you check but wont call a bet, vs hands that will call when you bet and will check if you check. Betting is best here by a massive distance, given turn action.

bluffing is everywhere at these levels. Induce the bluff on river no?
matt_hilary
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 05:38:34 PM »

Cheers for the responses guys.

What I actually did was push all in (I see nobody suggested that one), which sounds worse than it actually was, putting $5.30 into a $5.80 pot. It's not the normal value bet I'd make but I figured I was ahead (full house would have raised the turn was what I was thinking) and a check would be potentially letting him get out free. A bet of around $3 might have done the job but I figured he'd put me all in with anything that beat me regardless. I'd decided I wasn't folding to anything here anyway on the river so I thought I'd push. What I put him on was Kx or the busted spades.

I think it'd be a v different question had I had $13-14 at the start of the hand rather than $7.50, I might have check-raised or check-called or bet $3 on the river or something.

Anyway I pushed and he thought about it for a few seconds and called, turning over AK.

Bearing this in mind (and I know this isn't a results-based business) how have I played the hand? Was limping UTG the problem to begin with? Or am I just unlucky that he limped with AK in late position and caught me dominated?
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »

KQ UTG is a trouble handle, but when it's suited it looks soooo nice. Will fold it more often than not.

If Im going to play it, I would bring it in for a std raise, and judge it from there.

However, given how passively your opponent played it, it's probable, in this instance, your result wouldn't have been any different.

Problem with limping, or even raising, KQ UTG, is what you going to do if you get raised?
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »

The only had that he should have if he is even remotely competent that beats you is 34sooted I suppose. You have to bet this river. I would have made it more expensive on the turn tho, while the king is good for you that's still a nice price for some drawing hands. If I believed he had a Flush draw I would check to induce a  bluff, and probably push to be honest knowing any K will pay me at this level. If you put him on Kx or busted Spades I would certainly check as the spades only give you money if you check and Kx may pay you anyway at this level. Not AK though Smiley UL.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: