blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:07:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  88......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 88......  (Read 3688 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »

I'd call Alex if he did it

Pass against some opponents

Alex.....respect your elders!!!  Wink

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »

I've lost so much money calling big overbet all-ins on the river, eventually I employed an Oompa Loompa to punch me in the head if he ever saw me heading for the call button. His other job is to slap me in the face whenever I consider bluffing on the ipoker network. £2.50 an hour and as much chocolate as he can eat. Bargain.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 06:33:05 PM »

I've lost so much money calling big overbet all-ins on the river, eventually I employed an Oompa Loompa to punch me in the head if he ever saw me heading for the call button. His other job is to slap me in the face whenever I consider bluffing on the ipoker network. £2.50 an hour and as much chocolate as he can eat. Bargain.

how very true

I might be missing equity by having a standard fold in these spots, but I think my experience tells me they are more often than not nut hands unless player info tells you otherwise or skews the decision to a call

My eyes are open wide
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 07:07:14 PM »

These are horrible I agree, and I would reraised the flop bigger and thus bet the turn bigger. The problem with betting the absolute nuts this big here...that river was a scarecard for you, he must know that. It is a really dangerous board and QJ cannot hope to get called by the majority of your potential holdings, any QJ that wasn't double spade problably shoved the turn anyway. He hasn't been playing with you long enough to know you are particularly good. I think this is all about him deciding you can't call without QJ (of your potential holidngs) which he has ascertained from the betting you don't have. If he has the JAck of spades in his hand it makes it even more unlikely you can call. So I would go with  Tx  he knows he is behind but is confident you cannot call, so call and hold your breath. Smiley.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 12:55:18 AM »

What did the guy have Totalise?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 02:10:08 AM »

It's too easy, & obvious. He's obviously not got it, & is trying to get you off.

PS - Or he may have overbet the absolute nuts.......

Seriously, I just loathe these dilemmas, "has he got it", "why has he bet so much?". I give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, & let it go. It's all good info for the future, which we can turn into profit. It's gonna cost me too much to find out on this occasion, but he'll keep.

Im curious, how can it be good info for the future if we dont know what he had?

Im not a very good cash player, in fact im absolutely rubbish lol but to me this screams of QJ, he has held back fearing a flush and when it hasnt hit and the board hasnt paired ..wham bam.. no other hand make sense, possibly 77 but I doubt it as he has to think QJ is beating him and why risk it.
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 03:33:06 AM »

What did the guy have Totalise?

I was pretty sure he didn't have QJ, it would be a pretty bad way to play it...but at the time i was stuck and pissed off and just kinda snap folded, because if he did get there on the river and I payed off like a call monkey id prolly go on tilt. He showed J9d for the bloooof and won it. Not too sure what I think about the fold, on balance I think i have to call because he is a skandi and they just cant help themselves, and the 6 I think is a slightly less scary card on balance then a 7 or a Q because only one end of the str8 draw gives him a good str8 if he has 7/x, and so I'd weight it more likely that pair+str8 draws will include a jack, like someone alluded to earlier.

thanks for the comments
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 03:56:41 AM »

It's too easy, & obvious. He's obviously not got it, & is trying to get you off.

Seriously, I just loathe these dilemmas, "has he got it", "why has he bet so much?". I give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, & let it go. It's all good info for the future, which we can turn into profit. It's gonna cost me too much to find out on this occasion, but he'll keep.

Im not a very good cash player, in fact im absolutely rubbish lol but to me this screams of QJ, he has held back fearing a flush and when it hasnt hit and the board hasnt paired ..wham bam.. no other hand make sense, possibly 77 but I doubt it as he has to think QJ is beating him and why risk it.

Hi Suzanne,

Well, I was assuming we WOULD eventually know what he had, & Totalise knew all along. If that makes sense! Seen that way, it's an "investment" for the future.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 11:44:21 AM »

A+
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 04:14:46 PM »

v interesting hand mate, 9 jack...eeeek.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 04:21:52 PM »

corking bet though

Nasty.

My eyes are open wide
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »

yes, not nice to face that.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »

corking bet though

Nasty.

Agree - it's uncallable. Almost.

More of these please Mr Tot Sir.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 12:11:59 AM »

Hi Suzanne,

Well, I was assuming we WOULD eventually know what he had, & Totalise knew all along. If that makes sense! Seen that way, it's an "investment" for the future.

yes thats true, but you cant rely on them showing their bluff most of the time, so I think Suz makes a pretty good point.

Anyways I was tinking about this hand a little more, and his river bet isnt really an overbet in terms of pot size, I only have about the pot size left in my stack, and so its a pretty natural bet size to make. If I had the $900 to cover it then it would make the dynamics of the hand slightly more interesting. One thing im interested in is whether people think his river bet in general is going to be a winning strategy, the split here seemed to be about 50/50 in terms of whether to call or not, so if thats the case then it makes his bettin pot to win pot EV neutral, but....I wonder how often a random folds a hand as strong as a set here, because thats pretty much all i was to him, and how often a random has a hand that strong.

thoughts? (and please try to ignore the fact that this time the bet worked)

as an aside, amusingly enough my determination to avoid tilt didn't really work too well, as this hand proves:

Seat 2: totalise ($1,319.00 in chips)
Seat 3: TheProvost ($145.00 in chips)
Seat 5: Ungar No2 ($185.00 in chips)
Seat 6: columbanus ($689.60 in chips)
Seat 7: BoyGolden ($930.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 8: helgul ($1,532.46 in chips)
helgul: Post SB $5.00
totalise: Post BB $10.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ungar No2 [ ]
Dealt to totalise [ ]
Dealt to BoyGolden [three diamonds two hearts]
TheProvost: Call $10.00
Ungar No2: Call $10.00
columbanus: Call $10.00
BoyGolden: Raise $65.00
helgul: Call $60.00
totalise: Call $55.00
TheProvost: Fold
Ungar No2: Allin $175.00
columbanus: Fold
BoyGolden: Raise $347.00
helgul: Fold
totalise: Raise $1,254.00
BoyGolden: Allin $518.00
*** FLOP *** [ ]
*** TURN *** []
*** RIVER *** []
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $2,516.00 Rake $3.00
totalise: wins $2,516.00

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 12:15:29 AM »

eeeek!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: