blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  88......
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 88......  (Read 3645 times)
totalise

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »

hand from a while back... no idea who this guy is, was about 10 hands into the session, but he is a scandi so let that come into your considerations..

Seat 1: PandaEatsBambu ($1,328.00 in chips)
Seat 3: totalise ($1,040.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 6: cbnzzz ($1,112.00 in chips)
Seat 8: Male ($1,261.75 in chips)
cbnzzz: Post SB $5.00
Male: Post BB $10.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to totalise [ ]
PandaEatsBambu: Fold
totalise: Raise $35.00
cbnzzz: Fold
Male: Call $25.00
*** FLOP *** [ ]
Male: Bet $40.00
totalise: Raise $125.00
Male: Call $85.00
*** TURN *** []
Male: Check
totalise: Bet $200.00
Male: Call $200.00
*** RIVER *** []
Male: Allin $901.75

i think all actions up to river are pretty standard. but the river play was kiinda confusing. thoughts?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »

It's too easy, & obvious. He's obviously not got it, & is trying to get you off.

PS - Or he may have overbet the absolute nuts.......

Seriously, I just loathe these dilemmas, "has he got it", "why has he bet so much?". I give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, & let it go. It's all good info for the future, which we can turn into profit. It's gonna cost me too much to find out on this occasion, but he'll keep.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 07:09:35 AM »

It's too easy, & obvious. He's obviously not got it, & is trying to get you off.

what is it about the hand that makes you think he is trying to steal?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »

what is it about the hand that makes you think he is trying to steal?

I am really undecided if he's nicking, or he's got it, & I face this dilemma constantly. I tend to shy away from these huge decisions, unless I know the player very well. I think he could be nicking, but equally, I'm suspicious that he is not. If in doubt, I Pass, which is why I suck, probably.

What makes you think he is NOT stealing?

Answer that, & my game would improve immensely, but surely, it's a "feel" thing?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »

I think this is a call, mainly because he is a likely to have Jx as 7x.  He could also have spades and if he had a str8 draw and spades he would have played it much more strongly on the flop.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 11:40:09 AM »

If he's not nicking then he can only do this with JQ surely?
My problem with these types of river bets is that the decision for me was why he was just calling earlier?
He is either calling hoping to hit his flush or hoping to see a non spade, the trouble (for me) is the large overbet on the river makes me believe he missed his draws.
So i call and find out he actually had 10 10 and i was wrong everywhere!!!

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »

These big overbets on the end are something I have spoken to totalise about before, used to struggle with them enormously...paying off nut hands because "why would he bet so big, surely he should be value betting?" was what I always thought

Now in these situations I think that foe's thinking is, with for example QJ, maybe QJ spades...is "totalsie has raised me on flop, bet out on turn, he probably has enough to call whatever I bet on the river, so why worry about the right size to value bet, I shove and he'll call"

I think its a nut type bet, and I pass usually here

There, makes me quite exploitable though huh?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 12:29:28 PM »

Think it's more likely he has it (based on the fact that, on average, people are more frequently river pushing with, rather than without), but you are getting nearly 2 : 1 on the call.

Without any info on the player I probably fold, but it feels a bit weak.

Don't think it would take much previous to encourage a call tho.

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:51:10 PM »

Players dont try a massive bluff here on such a scary board. Calling here is a definite nono. He has QJ about 80% of the time here.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »

Players dont try a massive bluff here on such a scary board. Calling here is a definite nono. He has QJ about 80% of the time here.

Some do.  But that's when you need to know the players capable and likely to do that.  Came across one recently, who would make all-in pushes with monster draws on the flop and also bluff hugely on the river when there was a scary board.  Worked very well for him, and I bided my time, waited until I had a monster and could call his huge river bet.  Unfortunately, he had the absolute nuts that time...

I fold in this case without more knowledge.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »

I wouldn't think he had flopped a straight here. He's made little attempt to charge draws at any point, could have made a move on the turn when you've shown strength, and if a scare card had turned up his action might have been killed. Admittedly he could have been playing it cute but I don't see JQ here.

Still a straightening card has come on the river. What hands could he have been calling with ? JT? QKs/JKs AJs A7s?.....depending on if you have any information on how he plays his draws you might be able to rule out him flopping an open ender and fd as he might have been happy to get a lot of money in on the flop if he is very aggressive with his big draws, which would prob rule out all the big combo draws he may have been calling with.

If he is more conservative with his big draws ( and you are deep enough that that may be the case) then he could easily have a combo draw and the good news is most of them have missed...
But not all of them, so it's down to the player. I think information on his previous play is useful, probably vital here....how aggressive has he been? He could've had a set plan of calling with his combo draw and bluffing a river scare card whether he hits or not. If you have previous hands where he has done this then I think calling the river bet is definitely profitable as you are beating most of his missed draws...

Having played with him for 10 hands though you've no information. I would love to call this bet. I think you are beating most of his hands if he is super aggressive. I can't help thinking he has something like KJs and is making a very good bluff on the river at the perfect card.

Hands like this would have me tearing my hair out in cash. After all this waffling I still don't know what I'd do....

I'll be fascinated to find out what you did and if you found out what he had....

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 04:09:10 PM »

Im not sure he plays Jack Queen as passively as this, jack queen of spades maybe if he doesnt want to lose his foe. By the river Im thinking he has either a set( but Im not sure he plays this the way he has), has the ace jack of spades and has decided to overbet bluff hoping you cant call on what is a scary board or he has 77.

The way you have played the hand almost certainly rules out you have a seven in your hand ( you arent raising pre flop and raising the flop and firing the turn with 77 for instance so its hard to see what hand you have that you can call that  bet with other than jack queen, and he is hoping you dont have that.

I think he has played the hand like he has 77 or ace jack of spades, he led into the raiser on the flop, does he do this with a draw?

he calls your raise, would he rersise you with a monster draw such as ace jack of spades or respect your raise but calls to hit his draw?

on the turn he slows down, if he has jack queen surely this is the spot he re raises you, the spades could worry him and you have shown super strength throughout the hand, why would he just call here with jack queen?

On the end I dont think he bets that with a set, as the board is too scary, as it is for you, ive ruled out jack queen( but it is a possibility, esp if its jack queen of spades),7 jack would make it into most hand history threads but again he raises you on the turn, so ace 7 of spades is also a runner. I have him on ace jack of spades, ace seven of spades or 77.

I think I pass to be honest just coz of the size of the bet as I slightly favour 77 over ace jack of spades.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 04:38:15 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »

Out of interest, in the villain's shoes when would people make that all-in bet on the river with that board?  Which cards would you need to have, against which sort of opponents,  or would you never make this bet?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 04:53:01 PM »

Out of interest, in the villain's shoes when would people make that all-in bet on the river with that board?  Which cards would you need to have, against which sort of opponents,  or would you never make this bet?

against tightend.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »

against tightend.

Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: