blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Was there a better play, or is this non-gettoffable?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was there a better play, or is this non-gettoffable?  (Read 3354 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »

Can I just say I'm not a fan of Skalie's call of your preflop raise, most of the time he'll face an unfavourable board OOP, some of the times he does hit a set you'll have missed with AK/AQ anyway, or will be looking at an Ace or King high board with QQ or JJ. If he hits his set he has to get your whole stack for it to be profitable, I just don't think that between 9/1 and 10/1 is enough for this.

This reply is also to Rookie, who makes essentially the same point.

Well, if you just confine your thinking to pot odds, yes, it's a horrendous call against me - of all people - with 4-4. But I believe he was thinking other things, naughty things. I mean, if he puts me on AK & it comes raggy taggy, he can get me off, in fact he probably thinks he can get me off anything with a stop & go. Which, as it fell, he did not need to, as he hit.

But if we confine our thoughts to him actually hitting his 4, yes, a bad call, but like I say, I believe he had mischief in his mind. Which is partly why I fell for his Push.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 03:58:32 PM »

ok thanks - oh and one more quick question, when you turned your cards over did they both have a pointy like letter in the top corner or did they both have non-matching curly numbers?

stirthepot

Wink

Lol, RUMBLED!

To tell the truth, I actually thought I had 4-4, & was a bit puzzled when he flipped his cards over & showed another two Fours.....Wink 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 04:04:41 PM »

ok thanks - oh and one more quick question, when you turned your cards over did they both have a pointy like letter in the top corner or did they both have non-matching curly numbers?

stirthepot

Wink

Lol, RUMBLED!

To tell the truth, I actually thought I had 4-4, & was a bit puzzled when he flipped his cards over & showed another two Fours.....Wink 

Grin

sponsored by Fyffes
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »

Posted by: matt674
one important piece of info which is very relevant to the situation is how many chips Skalie has.

Tikay says he had been "busy" so if he had got himself upto about 50-60k where the average was 18k then calling the 2k in an attempt to hit a set and bust someone you believe to be weak passive isnt that bad a move.

Not sure I am liking this sentiment Matt. As a chip daddy I want to be looking for favourable situations with which to edge forwards whilst always maintaining my current stack without too much jeapordy.

I think calling a raise of 5x bb oop in the hope of hitting a 9-1 shot is a mathematically hopeless play....and even then you are going to have a job busting someone who is weak and passive. You must hope you hit a set and your opponents has aces or such like. These kind of hopes can decimate a big stack quite quickly I think.

Calling to bluff...well maybe...but there has to be looser targets out there

Hand Selection: Poor...Opponent Selection: Poor...Position: Poor...Luck: Excellent.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »

one important piece of info which is very relevant to the situation is how many chips Skalie has.

Tikay says he had been "busy" so if he had got himself upto about 50-60k where the average was 18k then calling the 2k in an attempt to hit a set and bust someone you believe to be weak passive isnt that bad a move.

Not sure I am liking this sentiment Matt. As a chip daddy I want to be looking for favourable situations with which to edge forwards whilst always maintaining my current stack without too much jeapordy.

I think calling a raise of 5x bb oop in the hope of hitting a 9-1 shot is a mathematically hopeless play....and even then you are going to have a job busting someone who is weak and passive. You must hope you hit a set and your opponents has aces or such like. These kind of hopes can decimate a big stack quite quickly I think.

Hand Selection: Poor...Opponent Selection: Poor...Position: Poor...Luck: Excellent.

maybe but sometimes i think tikay isnt as weak passive or uber-tight as he tries to make out Wink

sponsored by Fyffes
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 04:11:40 PM »

you are going to have a job busting someone who is weak and passive

Hold up, are you saying I'm weak & passive? WHAT?

PS - Ahh, yes, I already admitted that.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »

maybe but sometimes i think tikay isnt as weak passive or uber-tight as he tries to make out Wink

Hush now Monkey Boy, that's libellous. I could sue.

Anyway, I've e-Mailed the link to this thread to skalie, be interesting to hear his thinking. I'll be quite surprised if he called just to hit his Set. He was planning mischief, I'm sure.

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »

i'll have my cheetah lawyer on standby just in case Wink

sponsored by Fyffes
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 04:19:49 PM »

hitting a 9-1 shot

wrong, it's 7.5-1
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »

Can I just say I'm not a fan of Skalie's call of your preflop raise, most of the time he'll face an unfavourable board OOP, some of the times he does hit a set you'll have missed with AK/AQ anyway, or will be looking at an Ace or King high board with QQ or JJ. If he hits his set he has to get your whole stack for it to be profitable, I just don't think that between 9/1 and 10/1 is enough for this.

Well, if you just confine your thinking to pot odds, yes, it's a horrendous call against me - of all people - with 4-4. But I believe he was thinking other things, naughty things. I mean, if he puts me on AK & it comes raggy taggy, he can get me off, in fact he probably thinks he can get me off anything with a stop & go. Which, as it fell, he did not need to, as he hit.

But if we confine our thoughts to him actually hitting his 4, yes, a bad call, but like I say, I believe he had mischief in his mind. Which is partly why I fell for his Push.

His hand is telegraphed already as mostly likely a medium pair though. Even if he check/calls you on a rag flop, you put another good bet on the turn he'll have to fold.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »

His hand is telegraphed already as mostly likely a medium pair though. Even if he check/calls you on a rag flop, you put another good bet on the turn he'll have to fold.

Well yes, but I see it MUCH wider than that.

He may just have had a Stop & Go in mind? He knows my game pretty well, we play Online together a fair bit, & he pretty much has my number as a grinder & bullet-dodger.

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 04:45:28 PM »

He may just have had a Stop & Go in mind? He knows my game pretty well, we play Online together a fair bit, & he pretty much has my number as a grinder & bullet-dodger.

Your preflop raise however represents huge strength, a tight player raising an utg limper should send the vast majority of hands scurrying for the hills. I don't see why he would lead out here with any hand, knowing that you were going to bet, and if he did lead out, I'd raise to find out how strongly he thinks his Sevens or Eights are.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »

Your preflop raise however represents huge strength, a tight player raising an utg limper should send the vast majority of hands scurrying for the hills. I don't see why he would lead out here with any hand, knowing that you were going to bet, and if he did lead out, I'd raise to find out how strongly he thinks his Sevens or Eights are.

He may well lead out here, knowing I am likely to fold to strength with most hands. And , of course, he never put me on a hand as strong as A-A, & he reverted to Plan B when he hit his set.

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »

how can he have a stop and go in mind when you are first to speak in every round of action?

sponsored by Fyffes
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »

how can he have a stop and go in mind when you are first to speak in every round of action?

He was UTG, I was mid-pos.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: