blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Tournament Hand of the Week: August 27th
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tournament Hand of the Week: August 27th  (Read 3523 times)
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 05:58:25 PM »

Obv, just because we may lose the pot this time doesnt mean it is a bad call long-term given the circumstsances. It is absolutely crazy pushing here. We can call and leave 30k back if C beats our hand then we have 30k left to attempt a recovery, if our hand is good then happy days!  I dont understand this, "if we decide we have the best hand we MUST push" idea, if we push the river it may put MS off calling with what may be AA or AK, and lose the extra value as you have seen her counting chips. Why do we want to push if we think our hand is good? obv our hand is succeptable to a house or quads so by calling we are giving ourselves an 'extra out' if we are wrong and C does have a house we still got a chance of clawing our way back into this. The Push would be a worse move than a fold here. Still think its a pretty standard call. C Could even be bluffing the river or maybe have 56s and have the ignorant end of the straight.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »

I've never really been a fan of the 'you're ahead most of the time here' sort of mentality. I think there are too many factors involved in poker that stop us from making generalisations about situations. Every hand is independent and should be treated as such.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 07:21:30 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »

I don't agree JungleCat and I also fail to see the contradiction.

Ok, i'll explain as best I can Smiley

You put a lot of stock in your analysis on a flexible approach, giving yourself options, which I think is a good approach to have. Yet strangely here you are concretely committed to the idea that you MUST commit all your chips here or fold. There are situations where this is the case, but this is not one of them in my view. Poker is not a black and white game. You do not say I AM AHEAD HERE or I AM BEHIND HERE with 100% degrees of probability in the majority of cases. You just assess the situation as best you can and make what you believe to be the optimal move.  Raising isn't optimal in my view, as the gain from the extra 30-60k chips is so small when you are ahead, whereas the loss of your last 32k chips is significantly more important.

You place a lot of value on your remaining $30k tournament chips and that's fine...but what about the minimum $50k tournament chips you are about to commit to this pot? How much value are you placing on those? You are about to call off the majority of your chips HOPING you have the best hand, not only that, considering your other opponent is already COUNTING CHIPS, you are also HOPING it doesn't get any more expensive. For me that is a lot of hope. Especially considering your strong position

This is clearly a different issue. The issue being whether you should call given the combined strength of Chandler's bet and Maple Syrup's apparent physical tells of strength. Although i am just going by your description of chandler, I think it's safe to say you are beating his range with a straight. He's an aggressive player, and if you don't look up aggressive players with straights you'll be bullied mercilessly out of most tournaments you enter.

Maple Syrup, again has a history of calling down bets with both weak and strong hands, although clearly here she would have to be off her rocker to call two big bets without something to show down, so I would expect her to be tabling a decent hand if/ when she calls, although this could conceivably be a hand you beat.

If, as you say, a competent player can win with $30k then the same player can also win with $80k. If you call the $50k what are you going to do when faced with the push from UTG? Are you now folding....and if you are why did you call....and if you're not why didn't you push?

I actually said a competent player would have all but locked up the win should they WIN this pot as they would be the runaway chip leader, so gaining another 30-60k in chips is of little benefit, whilst losing them is of quite big importance from a tournament perspective.

I think the time to decide if you have the best hand is before you commit a cent more on the river. If you don't think you're ahead then folding leaves you in a strong position, but if you do think you have the best hand then why are you just calling? This is a crying call where you are not sure where you are and just hoping for the best. That might fair enough for some but when you place much value on $30k....to treat $50k with so little regard is in fact the contradiction you speak of.

Sorry but this isn't logical. It comes back to the earlier point. You have a strong hand, yet one that is potentially vulnerable as it is not a nut hand and you are facing strength from two players. If you have a very strong impression that Chandler/ MS has a house then you fold but closing your eyes and saying "I am ahead" or "I am behind" is not a good idea. YOU DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE! Often in poker that's the case. Being aware of that fact makes you a better player. When someone makes a late position raise in a tournament you look at 45s, his stack size and how many chips you have left and reraise him  on a resteal, you do so because you feel you have a high chance of making him fold, but of course you are aware that from time to time you will have read the situation wrong and will walk into a big hand.

So, ok, look Chandler up, giving yourself a smallish but workable stack should you be wrong, but please don't put in a virtually valueless riase.

If you decide to call rather than fold/ raise, you are put to a decision should you be check raised allin by maple syrup the initial preflop raiser. It's a tough one too. Are they capable of doing this without a house? I would say it's very unlikely and I would assign an extremely high degree of probability towards them having a house if they check raise given their history of immense passivity. So sick as it would be I would probably give up the straight if check raised, despite the obviously excellent pot odds and the fact you do have a strong hand. Some players might well disagree with this though.

Remember though that she is quite capable of calling with a worse hand and will likely play all hands but houses passively so a small subsiduary benefit of calling is it increases the chances of calling with AA or other hands you are beating.

With this hand, although the results were nicely orientated in your favour, if you put AA in Maple's hand and A9 in Chandler's, the hand could quite easily play out in identical fashion.....

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »

A well explained point actionman.

In fact Chandler holding the ignorant end of the straight would have been quite fitting...lol

My feeling at the time was that pushing all-in wasn't a road to go down because I wasn't in any way confident with the hand. Then I thought why call such a big chunk at all if I am so anti-pushing. So while agreeing the push is bad this leads me to also believe the call coupled with the potential push from the active player was also a bad move here. Having said that it's certainly a close decision that could have swung either way.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »

The reason this sort of hand is posted is because the decision is marginal. If hands were straightforward then it would be a pretty bland discussion. So as it goes this week's thread has been pretty successful.

The difference in attitude between calling for lots but not committing for all is the dilemma that contributed to my fold and it is interesting to see the reaction to that here. It is a question of confidence. Why call so much if you are not confident? Why be almost committed if you think you could be beat?

In this hand the stakes were very high, so whilst I agree you cannot be certain you are ahead...how certain do you need to be to make this kind of call? For me it was pretty damn certain...for others it will be not so certain...and that's because the decision is marginal.

Aggressive Chandler had been unusually passive in this hand and Maple was not even hesitating when faced with such a big bet. So I do not think this is a question of blindly making a decision about where you stand. I am saying look at the tangible evidence this situation presents and make an informed decision from it. With such a big decision I think it is better to have a firm idea of where you are in the hand. So by asking myself at the time "Would you push" answer "No I think I may be beat" I then couldn't justify the call on that premise.

I think the mathematical point
Raising isn't optimal in my view, as the gain from the extra 30-60k chips is so small when you are ahead, whereas the loss of your last 32k chips is significantly more important.
is an excellent one. But I am using the push as an indicator of confidence not to demonstrate a +EV play. And whilst I agree that nothing is certain there has to be less risky situations than this to be uncertain.

Another excellent, well explained post by JungleCat, so thanks for that contribution.

However
With this hand, although the results were nicely orientated in your favour, if you put AA in Maple's hand and A9 in Chandler's, the hand could quite easily play out in identical fashion.....
being potential results-orientated to prove a point is surely worse than being results-orientated to prove one....lol. But I fully understand how marginal this was.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »

Did C have Quads?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: