blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:53:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Tournament Hand of the Week: October 22nd
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tournament Hand of the Week: October 22nd  (Read 5320 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:21:43 PM »

This week we go back on-line to discuss a hand I played in a $25,000 guaranteed event. The buy-in was $100...and we are reaching the latter stages of the competition.

So let's take a look...

The Tournament

Environment:            On-Line Game
Type:                         Multi-Table Tournament   
Players:                     482                           
Buy-in:                       $100+$9
Starting Chips:           3,000
Prize Pool:                  £48,200
Blinds:                         300/600-$50 ante
Remaining Players:     65
Average Chips:           22,246

It is at that stage in a tournament when very few flops are being seen. Raises are generally taking down the blinds and antes uncontested. Occasionally raises have been met with short-stack all-in re-raises as they battle to survive or when two big hands collide in pair Vs pair or coin-flip situations. So the first question is...What is your general strategy in this type of situation?

History & Players

We came to the table just over an hour ago and have been completely and utterly card-dead during this time. No pairs, no face-cards, no aces, no nothing. We have made a couple of unsuccessful steal attempts but have been met with resistance and have had to let go. This dire period has seen our stack deplete from around 49k to a still healthy 42k...but each round costs 1,400. Considering your steal attempts haven't got through do you now batten down the hatches and just wait for a hand or do you still try to remain active in-spite of this?

Our opponent in this hand is Asprilla29 on the BB who hasn't shown any willingness to defend his blind so far and has been a rather passive player.

Mantis: 42,200 & in the cut-off
Asprilla29: 39,500 & in the BB

The Hand

Still no hands...and it is folded around to us in the cut-off

We look down to see yet another inspiring holding in...

...and decide to raise it up to 2.2k.

The button folds, the SB folds and Asprilla29 calls in the BB.

So we go to the flop with 5,200 chips in the pot.

The Flop

The flop comes down

What are your thoughts about the texture of this flop and how are you looking to proceed from here?

Asprilla29 puts out a bet of 2,500.

What do you make of this and what do you do now?

I decide to raise to 7,500

Do you prefer a flat call here? If you call what would your strategy be on the turn? Does calling prevent a big pot win should your draw complete on the next card?

Asprilla29 uses his time bank to think things through and then flat-calls the re-raise. What sort of hand can we put him on and how do you intend to proceed from here?

We go to the turn with 20,200 chips in the pot and a stack of 32,500.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:35:12 PM »

You are a favourite surely against his range of hands on the flop here (any pair, any queen most likely) so a raise must be in order

However by raising 5k you are giving him some odds to flat call your raise and then push a blank turn.

The push all-in must have merit I would have thought.

Proceeding from here....

1 Folding on a blank turn if he pushes

2 hoping your raise buys you a check on the turn from him to jam the turn yourself in position, hoping he can't call with an underpair to the Queen . If he was superstrong he would have popped it back on the flop

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Flea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:09:03 PM »

I suspect he has a medium ace probably A10, if he had AQ I'd expect him to re-raise your raise on the flop in view of the flush possibilities.

As is often the case the turn is probably the key card in this hand, if it comes a blank I'd be prepared to fold to a big bet (must be at least 3/4pot to pot size to get me off it) or otherwise check the option of a cheap/free look at the river card.

"Am I out yet??"

Poker aliases: PStars - Flea71 Virgin - Flea71 Blonde - Flea Sky - Flea Betfair - flea71 WHill - And170570
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »

On the flop you have a monster draw - you're even a favourite over top set, the only thing you don't want to see is him having a spade draw - and even the worst of those leaves you around 35% to win.

So how do you play it?

Playing it aggressively has merit - you can either pick up the pot uncontested or get your chips in the middle as a likely favourite to win.
You could play it passively and keep the pot small, maybe using your position to pick the pot up on a later street if you miss.

In the hand you've made a mid sized raise which I don't like:
Raising to 7500 means he has to call 5000 into a pot of 15200 - > 3:1 which is very good odds - you want to pick the pot up or get the chips in, this raise seems less likely to do that than a larger raise.
It leaves us playing a big pot on the turn with a draw that will have lost a lot of it's value if it misses, and possibly have scared off our opponent if it hits! It could also lead to the very unwelcome prospect of having to fold to a decent sized bet on the turn.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:13:37 PM »

On the flop you have a monster draw - you're even a favourite over top set, the only thing you don't want to see is him having a spade draw - and even the worst of those leaves you around 35% to win.

Don't think those odds are quite right:

Open-ended straight flush draw:

• Against top pair - about a 63-37 favourite
  • Against an overpair - about a 56-44 favourite
  • Against two pairs - about a 53-47 favourite
  • Against a higher flush draw - 44-56 underdog
  • Against a set - about a 42-58 underdog

In a cash game, I love this hand.  In a tournament, it's one of those hands...that either sets you up nicely, or decimates your stack.  Interested to see the different opinions on how to play it.  Interesting hand.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:17:25 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »

I used poker stove to check, I must have misclicked one of the cards! 

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:40:26 PM »

Against his range, you are ahead, raising has to be right. to my mind the question is the push or the value raise, with the value raise probably having greater ev and the prospect of a free turn if needed 

My eyes are open wide
AllInKev

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 06:32:55 PM »

Im putting him on 44 here. He put out a little bet after that flop and it seems that he wants action. As you say, he also hasn't played many hands either, so he isn't going to be donking his chips off with nothing so IMO the worst hand he has would be QK. But then he could have  and have a pretty monster draw himself and if that is the case, you are in serious trouble. Like has been said, you give him 3:1 to call, so making it at least 10k, maybe 12.5K would be a better raise ...

Kev
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:40:57 PM by AllInKev » Logged

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »

Yep, there are a couple of interesting questions with regard to the flop re-raise in this type of situation...

1. If you are a favourite to win the hand against your opponent's range then why would offering him competitive odds to call the re-raise be classified as a mistake?

2. If your opponent is on one pair right now what "odds" are we actually offering? We classically think of the odds of say completing a draw but how does this work for a simple made pair? Is it possible to offer someone odds when they aren't actually drawing to any specific eventuality? E.g. He has Q-10....how does he work out if he is getting the right odds to call?

3. Finally, does a raise that invites a player to stick around actually intimidate more than a much bigger raise?

Not sure I know the answer to these points but it is something to think about. What I do know is that I would treble the bet here with a draw or top set in order to remain consistent. Does changing the amount of your standard re-raise give additional information?

Anyway, on with the hand....

Part II

Asprilla29 called the re-raise oop on a dangerous drawing board and we headed to the turn.

The Turn

The turn card was....

And we now have a board of

How does this card affect your thinking if at all?

Asprilla29 checks to you....Why would he do this, and what is your strategy now?

The pot is over 30k...but you still have an average stack behind and any further bet commits you to this pot...so do you take in a free river or do you commit?....don't forget we are about 15 places from the money.

Further action and the river comes on Friday

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 07:02:22 PM »

1.  because your tournament life (potentially here if you miss) is a factor..as of course is getting monster chips so they play off each other but the former can be a factor..you are favourite but you need to hit

I need time to consider the rest, back later!

My eyes are open wide
Flea

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 07:07:24 PM »

I'd check, take the option for a free card and take it from there. Still prepared to lay it down if all we have at the end is middle-pair and busted flush/straight draws.

This may encourage your opponent your weak so he'll bet out regardless - that way if your hand does complete you win big and if not then you're ok to fold and although slightly depleted still be alive and kicking.

"Am I out yet??"

Poker aliases: PStars - Flea71 Virgin - Flea71 Blonde - Flea Sky - Flea Betfair - flea71 WHill - And170570
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »

1.  because your tournament life (potentially here if you miss) is a factor..as of course is getting monster chips so they play off each other but the former can be a factor..you are favourite but you need to hit

Also if you're not a big favourite then taking the pot down now can be worth more than the extra they put in to the pot. It can also simplify the decision making and stop you from making a mistake later on in the hand.

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 07:03:33 PM »

Part III

I decide to check behind Asprilla29 and see a river for free and it is...

Making a board

This completes an unlikely hand of two pairs.

Asprilla29 thinks for a moment and then moves all-in for 29,800.

The pot now has exactly 50k in it and it will cost you 29,800 of your remaining 32,500 to call...so basically everything. Do you make the call? If you do call what hand can we put our opponent on? Do you think making such a big call with a hand like this is worthwhile considering the play you have left in your stack and the close proximity to the bubble? Could we have played this hand better?

The reveal will arrive at the weekend...thanks to those who took part.

Flea

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »

I hate that river card, it's given you just enough to make any decision hard,in all honesty I'd probably call but I think the right play may well be the fold as other than completely over-playing AQ or a hand like Pocket Jacks,tens or Kings I fear the opponent has a set - the way he's played doesn't feel like someone playing a holding that has just made the straight. Only other possibility is he's bluffing a busted flush draw but that's probably less likely.

"Am I out yet??"

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 04:32:18 PM »

Click the link below for the reveal:

http://www.blondepoker.com/index.php?q=node/12996
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: