blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Your Tourney Life On A Flush Draw
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Tourney Life On A Flush Draw  (Read 3942 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 11:44:50 PM »

Mateygirl =

Mateyboy =

River = Two Diamonds

I've been highly intrigued by some of the responses on this thread, and whilst I understand the idea of pot odds, I think they are somewhat skewed in tournament play and believe too many factors exist in order to apply a simple mathematical equation to the decision. Of course, winning the pot will give you a nice stack, but that's no guarantee that you'll turn a profit, whilst if you lose the hand, you are guaranteed to be out of the tournament. Other variants include your ability to play a large/short stack, the standard of play at your table and the amount of chips you'll actually be left with if you lose, which, in this situation, was still highly playable with the blinds so short. It won't be a factor to the seasoned pro, but even my existence in the tournament in terms of (1) enjoying myself and (2) gaining experience both admittedly played a small part.

However, the most important factor is not just that I don't want to put my chips in as a severe underdog, but that I might be playing to two Nines, of which could still be re-outdrawn if I were to make it on the Turn. At the time, I didn't believe either player had the flush draw, but considering the pre-flop action and my inability to see their hole cards, this hand remained a definite possibility and one that I needn't to be aware of. What I think Longy's calculations fail to acknowledge is the likelihood of such a holding. It's okay lining up all the possible hands and calculating your percentage, but you need to be aware that some of those possibilities are more likely than others.

I'm still not sure if the decision to fold was a correct one, but this was my thought process nonetheless.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:03:40 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged
MKKfish

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 12:47:23 AM »

Mateyboy's got the wrong cards... 
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 05:22:04 PM »

Mateygirl =

Mateyboy =

River = Two Diamonds

I've been highly intrigued by some of the responses on this thread, and whilst I understand the idea of pot odds, I think they are somewhat skewed in tournament play and believe too many factors exist in order to apply a simple mathematical equation to the decision. Of course, winning the pot will give you a nice stack, but that's no guarantee that you'll turn a profit, whilst if you lose the hand, you are guaranteed to be out of the tournament. Other variants include your ability to play a large/short stack, the standard of play at your table and the amount of chips you'll actually be left with if you lose, which, in this situation, was still highly playable with the blinds so short. It won't be a factor to the seasoned pro, but even my existence in the tournament in terms of (1) enjoying myself and (2) gaining experience both admittedly played a small part.

However, the most important factor is not just that I don't want to put my chips in as a severe underdog, but that I might be playing to two Nines, of which could still be re-outdrawn if I were to make it on the Turn. At the time, I didn't believe either player had the flush draw, but considering the pre-flop action and my inability to see their hole cards, this hand remained a definite possibility and one that I needn't to be aware of. What I think Longy's calculations fail to acknowledge is the likelihood of such a holding. It's okay lining up all the possible hands and calculating your percentage, but you need to be aware that some of those possibilities are more likely than others.

I'm still not sure if the decision to fold was a correct one, but this was my thought process nonetheless.

Snoops, had you thought about c/raising all-in on the flop?

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 07:32:12 PM »

Mateygirl =

Mateyboy =

River = Two Diamonds

Snoops, had you thought about c/raising all-in on the flop?

Yes, but I didn't think they'd fold to a check-raise unless they were bluffing, which I only thought Mateyboy was capable of doing. I'd rather check-fold if I am indeed checking rather than get it in as a 2-1 dog, especially against just one player. If they are weak and checking, then I might as well take it there and then, which I was happy to do.

Rightly or wrongly, I did consider check-calling though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:40:33 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: