blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:52:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Mentoring- Interest Thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mentoring- Interest Thread.  (Read 18160 times)
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

As has been stated elsewhere part of the "learning centre" function is to aid a mentoring scheme. So to kick things off, I will start this thread for anyone who is interested in taking part in anyway, whether it be as a mentor or student.

If you would like to post in this thread whether you are interested in becoming a mentor or being mentored. For students state what you are looking for from a mentor, poker wise for example cash, mtt's,sng's, omaha etc....... For mentors simply state what games you are happy to help with. I will then at some later point try and match like with like, for example it is no good me mentoring someone who wants to learn Omaha as i don't play the game.

Obviously i will let people decide which side of the fence they feel they fall. I and blonde see this as in affect a buddying scheme and that once people are matched they will discuss the finer points of the relationship in private. No financial renumeration is expected to be asked for by mentors, but if at a later date if both parties want to take that route that is their decision to be sorted out in private.

Ok don't be shy, post away.
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:08 AM »

First.

Im happy to mentor, my strength lies in sng's but im happy to help out 6max NL cash.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »

I'd love to be mentored in cash games.  Saying that, I'd also love the opportunity for someone to mentor me on MTTs as well.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »

I play NLHE MTTs almost exclusively $10-$30 buy-ins generally and would love to have the benefit of an experienced eye over my game. I've been playing for just over 2 years now and still feel very much like a beginner. I know I play far too tight and generally end up short-stacked too early.

How do people see the mentoring taking place? We post tournament hand histories and the mentors watch them back in a replayer?

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »

How do people see the mentoring taking place? We post tournament hand histories and the mentors watch them back in a replayer?

This is certainly seems like a good way to go about, but it is up to the mentor and student to decide which way they feel works best for them. There are many options including getting the mentor to sweat the student playing a tournament/cash session (might be a bit long for an mtt) or vice-versa where the students watches the mentor play. Conversations over msn/aim, any other suggestions are welcome and hopefully blonde can suggest ways to make the process go smoothly.

Any ideas are welcome.
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »

Without wishing to sound like a wet blanket - does the use of MSN to discuss hands and holdings with an experienced player whilst playing an MTT raise any ethical questions?

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

Without wishing to sound like a wet blanket - does the use of MSN to discuss hands and holdings with an experienced player whilst playing an MTT raise any ethical questions?

Not if theyr not playing in your tournament which they wouldnt be?!?

Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »

Um yes and i knew someone would say that. I was suggesting msn as a conversational tool not to be used in-game as that is an affect borderline cheating and not something im advocating but it certainly happens.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »

I'm confused about this. Tote once said that you should be beating 25/50 before you start teaching people how to play cos if you ain't beating 25/50 you are prob lacking in some fundamentals and may teach some stuff incorrectly. The games have got tougher since then perhaps it's gone down to 5/10 now? How do you know if your coach is teaching you correctly or not? I can't beat 2/4 so I can't be good enough to mentor.

My brother wanted to learn poker so I gave him a list of books, he joined cardrunners, emailed maybe 5 hands total to me and I did one coaching session while he played and I'm embarressed to say he's probably equal to me if not better now. If people want to be mentored should they not read books, strat forums and join a training site first? For example Mad has posted a hand about commitment on this forum I dunno if non mods are allowed to reply or not but my answer to that hand would be to read Pro NL. The whole book is about commitment, it would be impossible to condense it all into one post. Mad has a mentor but apparently hasn't read the best book by a zillion miles on NL. I'm not trying to have a go, really I'm not but if I wanted to learn almost any subject I would read the good texts on it before getting lessons.

So is this mentoring thing meant to be for beginners - if so why don't they do what my brother did first? Or is it for more experienced players, if so put me on the List! But if I ask the question here aren't I effectively asking for charity? I could pay any one of dozens of poker coaches to teach me why should I ask someone to do it for free? There are clearly some excellent players who post on Blonde who I would love to mentor me, but why should they give their time up to teach a donk like me when they could go work in Oxfam for a few hours or something instead?

Not trying to have a pop just trying to clarify exactly what you guys are trying to do here.
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »

I'm confused about this. Tote once said that you should be beating 25/50 before you start teaching people how to play cos if you ain't beating 25/50 you are prob lacking in some fundamentals and may teach some stuff incorrectly. The games have got tougher since then perhaps it's gone down to 5/10 now? How do you know if your coach is teaching you correctly or not? I can't beat 2/4 so I can't be good enough to mentor.

I don't necessarily agree with Totalise about this, of course the mentors aren't going to be perfect (who is) but they may be able to help point out a few leaks and improves someones play, that has to be worth it. Just because someone can or can't beat 25/50 doesn't mean they cannot help someone out. I am former maths teacher and some of the worst teachers I had was when I was at university and some of the best maths teachers i have seen didn't even have a degree in maths.

Fwiw Byron you are probably doing yourself down and correct me if im wrong you have made living out of poker for a good few years, surely you would be able to offer decent advice to less experienced players not that im volunteering/pressuring you, just saying.

My brother wanted to learn poker so I gave him a list of books, he joined cardrunners, emailed maybe 5 hands total to me and I did one coaching session while he played and I'm embarressed to say he's probably equal to me if not better now. If people want to be mentored should they not read books, strat forums and join a training site first? For example Mad has posted a hand about commitment on this forum I dunno if non mods are allowed to reply or not but my answer to that hand would be to read Pro NL. The whole book is about commitment, it would be impossible to condense it all into one post. Mad has a mentor but apparently hasn't read the best book by a zillion miles on NL. I'm not trying to have a go, really I'm not but if I wanted to learn almost any subject I would read the good texts on it before getting lessons.

Of course there are a tonne of resources out there, but people learn better in different ways. One of these methods is mentoring and can work alongside other forms of learning.

So is this mentoring thing meant to be for beginners - if so why don't they do what my brother did first? Or is it for more experienced players, if so put me on the List! But if I ask the question here aren't I effectively asking for charity? I could pay any one of dozens of poker coaches to teach me why should I ask someone to do it for free? There are clearly some excellent players who post on Blonde who I would love to mentor me, but why should they give their time up to teach a donk like me when they could go work in Oxfam for a few hours or something instead?

It is not necessarily for beginners though of course the whole learning centre is focussed at that group. If people don't wish to mentor for free, they won't volunteer. I don't see it as charity or anything like that and im volunteering because its something im happy to do, I certainly im not a great or even good poker player but if i can help someone out on even the smallest leak that will be enough. Can you teach poker in Oxfam shops, I might look into it?

Not trying to have a pop just trying to clarify exactly what you guys are trying to do here.

No offence taken, you have made some interesting points. So are you intersted in being a mentor or a student,Byron? Wink

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 06:17:41 PM »

Would love to be mentored in mtt's.  I've been playing just over two years and whilst I have a grasp on the game, I'm lacking something that takes me to the final tables of tournaments.  I seem to be able to scrape in to the money, but find it difficult to get going properly.

DUNK619

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »

i wouldlove  the oppurtunity to be mentored in low stakes cash. I have had some success in stts but have a lot 2 improve upon in cash games. None of my friends and family play poker and i think an outsiders oppinion of my play could only improve it
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »

So are you intersted in being a mentor or a student,Byron?

Surely nobody would turn down lessons from someone better than them, it's like being offered free money. I dunno about being a mentor yet, maybe.

you have eeked out a meagre living from rakeback for a good few years

FYP

Long time ago before 3-bet started and I think they were the first coaching site, I harrassed someone by PM to give me lessons, in the end he watched me play a comp and went through it with me the next day, all he requested was that if I ever have a big tourney score I bung him a small percentage of it. What a big score is and what percentage is up to me, I've never even met the guy, I could obv easily stiff him, effectively he gave me a free lesson with a small chance that one day he may get something back. One day hopefully I will take great pleasure in paying him his %. That's a pretty cool way to do it I think.

This thread has made me think about what I am trying to acheive in poker. The main reason I started playing cash was cos I was completely clueless playing the first couple of levels of big donkaments. Theorywise I am about a billion times better than I was then, although probably everyone else is too.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:08:02 PM by byronkincaid » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »

...my answer to that hand would be to read Pro NL. The whole book is about commitment, it would be impossible to condense it all into one post.

Which book is that?  Don't think it's one I've got.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »

Butch Harmon and David Leadbetter have won how many golf majors as players ?

Good teachers are not always the best players but great players are not always going to be great coaches either.

Sandy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: