blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272644 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  How do we play against this apparent maniac
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do we play against this apparent maniac  (Read 1226 times)
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »

We are new to the table, 20 or so hands have passed before we get to this one. The tables was fairly timid when i joined, lots of passing to the blinds.

The villian of the peice is new to the table also, he sat in 7 hands ago and has played every one, he is displaying form for raising and reraising players off pots on the river.

I should also say that the villan has us covered in chips, we have just over or the max buy in.

Dealer: Smertios is the dealer
Dealer: Starting a new hand (#787867819)
Dealer: MartyDK posts Small Blind $0.10
Dealer: newmanseye1 posts Big Blind $0.20
Dealer: Dealing cards
Dealer: Your cards two hearts
Dealer: Zukevich folds
Dealer: grinpis folds
Dealer: letmeseeurace has left the table
Dealer: Smertios folds
Dealer: MartyDK calls $0.10
Dealer: Player involved1984 has joined the table
Dealer: newmanseye1 checks
Dealer: Dealing Flop
Two Clubs

Now we get a nice flop for us, top and bottom pair, and my line here is to allow the Villian to hang himself on the turn, so I check.  Would you have checked here, do you do something different pre flop, or do you lead out and take the blinds?

Dealer: MartyDK checks
Dealer: newmanseye1 checks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:29:38 AM by Newmanseye » Logged

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »

preflop is ok, 2/9 os isn't the type of hand you want to be building pots with. Against a fair few players at the lower limits , you can raise preflop in this spot with blank cards, auto bet the flop when its checked to you, and take it down often enough to show a profit, but against opponents like this, that play wont work, so check.

As for the flop, Id not check here, if he is a maniac you want to give him a chance to be a maniac, and you want him to be a maniac in a bigger pot, so try and start building the pot early.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »

I always lead out here against a maniac. get him to re-raise you. build the pot a bit. bet 30

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »

It's an unraised pot with nothing in it - you might be able to get him to 'hang himself' for $0.20 on the turn if you check the flop!!

Bet the flop, get some money in the pot and if he folds then he folds.

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »

OK so we all agree that i screwed  up by checking the flop, i should have been gettingg the money in asap and slow play here is for mugs.

So on to the turn we see some action

Dealer: Dealing Turn
Two Clubs Ah
Dealer: MartyDK bets $1
Dealer: newmanseye1 raises $2.40
Dealer: MartyDK calls $1.40

My cunning plan worked, we have him hooked.

What would you change at this street, should we be concerned, Given his reputation can we be behind?

I put this guy on an ace here Obv or possibly a flush draw.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »

Bet the flop, raise the turn by more for value make it $3.50 at least imo. Im not concerned and am just thinking about how much i can extract on the river.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »

Bet the flop, raise the turn by more for value make it $3.50 at least imo. Im not concerned and am just thinking about how much i can extract on the river.

agreed..make him pay proper...if he has the ace (or even FD as a proper maniac) he is bound to call.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 06:07:29 AM »

Ok Agreed more of a raise should have been made for extra value.

Now on to the river.

Dealer: Dealing River
Two Clubs Ah Two Diamonds
Dealer: MartyDK bets $4

He bets in to us and we just hit a jackpot card, How much to we raise if we dont push?

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 08:45:36 AM »

Now on to the river.

He bets in to us and we just hit a jackpot card, How much to we raise if we dont push?

don't know how much you have back mate. I raise as much as I think he'll pay off.

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 08:47:13 AM »

Now on to the river.

don't know how much you have back mate. I raise as much as I think he'll pay off.

We both had stacks around $23 - $27  before the hand started, it doesnt show in the HH for some reason.

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
LuckyLloyd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »

This is one of the virtually non - existent occassions where you should minraise his river bet. We should have gotten more money into the pot beforehand, but now that we didn't - let's just hope that he spazzes out and shoves back at us with no FE.

It is 20nl and there is always a possibillity that he is just tiltiing / blowing off some steam - particularly considering that he is playing every hand and trying to win all of them. He has nothing here a lot, so he will just fold to a shove a ton. But if we minraise, he may just say "fcuk it" and commit Hari Kari eventhough you have half your stack in. If you raise anymore then it becomes obvious that you cannot possibly ever fold.

Note that this would normally be a terrible line. But at this level the crazies are CrAZy. So throw him some rope one time.

"All glory comes from daring to begin" - Eugene F. Ware.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:37:55 PM »

This is one of the virtually non - existent occassions where you should minraise his river bet. We should have gotten more money into the pot beforehand, but now that we didn't - let's just hope that he spazzes out and shoves back at us with no FE.

It is 20nl and there is always a possibillity that he is just tiltiing / blowing off some steam - particularly considering that he is playing every hand and trying to win all of them. He has nothing here a lot, so he will just fold to a shove a ton. But if we minraise, he may just say "fcuk it" and commit Hari Kari eventhough you have half your stack in. If you raise anymore then it becomes obvious that you cannot possibly ever fold.

Note that this would normally be a terrible line. But at this level the crazies are CrAZy. So throw him some rope one time.

Hmmm interesting not sure I agree though. I think min raising loses a ton of value from 2nd best hands like a bare 2 and the extra $4 we occasionally make from him calling with weak hands is more than covered by the extra $16 we make by being called by 2nd best hands. I understand we may shove the river and be beaten but I think thats quite rare given the fact maniac flatted our turn bet.
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »

Thanks for ths input guys, i know i made a tonne of mistakes in this hand, hence my reason for posting.

I seem to have a common theme of not betting enough when i have a strong holding, i can only assume this is why i get drawn out on so much  dont river me .

So here is the final part.

Dealer: newmanseye1 raises $10.80
Dealer: MartyDK calls $6.80
Dealer: MartyDK shows Full house
two spades
Dealer: newmanseye1 shows Full house
two hearts
Dealer: MartyDK wins with Full house
Two Diamonds two spades Two Clubs Ah $25.80

I have to admit i was shocked when i saw the cards turn over.

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: