blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:10:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1602 1603 1604 1605 [1606] 1607 1608 1609 1610 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3608275 times)
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24075 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »

If The Crimeans want to rejoin Russia, why doesn't America butt out?

I don't get it.
Americans to keep their noses out of other peoples business, bound to happen.

Cymru am byth
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #24076 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »

I don't get it.

So if a part of Bradford held their own referendum to join Pakistan, that would be fine?  Or parts of NI to join the RoI?

Apart from the fact that Russia invaded Crimea, a part of a sovereign state can't unilaterally decide to leave and expect anyone serious to agree that the process is legitimate. 

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #24077 on: March 20, 2014, 06:19:24 AM »

I don't get it.

So if a part of Bradford held their own referendum to join Pakistan, that would be fine?  Or parts of NI to join the RoI?

Apart from the fact that Russia invaded Crimea, a part of a sovereign state can't unilaterally decide to leave and expect anyone serious to agree that the process is legitimate. 

They can but there's a road to it rather than just going for it like they have in the Crimea.

The Guardian had a good article explaining the difference on Monday
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/17/putin-referendum-crimea-kosovo

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24078 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »

Diary does not evacuate bowels.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24079 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »

I think you will find that the correct term is 'Void'.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24080 on: March 21, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »

I would respectfully suggest that, in more general use, to void involves, in technical terms, to have a wee.

I rather like the expression "void". Beats "had a piss".  Or even a turnout.

I saw a really interesting turn of phrase this morning, but I'll place that in the non-vomit diary.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #24081 on: March 21, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »

I would respectfully suggest that, in more general use, to void involves, in technical terms, to have a wee.

I saw a really interesting turn of phrase this morning, but I'll place that in the non-vomit diary.

Not taking sides here, especially on a matter that is down to one's personal experience, but I must say the word "void" suggests empty, whereas "evacuate" suggests exiting quickly, in an emergency situation.
I hope that generally isn't the case.

suggests empty

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24082 on: March 21, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »

Not taking sides here, especially on a matter that is down to one's personal experience, but I must say the word "void" suggests empty, whereas "evacuate" suggests exiting quickly, in an emergency situation.

suggests empty

Depends if you read it as a doing word or a describing word. You know, nouns adjectives and all that.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24083 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:39 AM »

I hope that generally isn't the case

suggests empty

With advancing years, & as Father Tom will freely tell you, I'm afraid it very often IS the case.

Even more interesting, is the thing where we can "hold it in" (either version) for hours if need be, but the nearer we get to a toilet, the more pressing the urgency becomes. The nut danger zone is 2 yards from the toilet.

Back to "void" & evacuate", you are talking of the wider usage of the words.

In medical-speak, I'm quite sure "to void" more usually refers to bladder than bowel. They are, I gather, seperate compartments. It's a bit like the recycling bins, very important to use the right aperture when depositing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:29:36 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24084 on: March 21, 2014, 10:28:51 AM »

suggests empty

Depends if you read it as a doing word or a describing word. You know, nouns adjectives and all that.

Send for Tal Bloke.

It was his Birthday yesterday. Would not tell me his age, but it ends in a zero. 50, I assume.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24085 on: March 21, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »

I rather like the expression "void". Beats "had a piss".  Or even a turnout.

I hope that generally isn't the case

suggests empty

With advancing years, & as Father will freely tell you, I'm afraid it very often IS the case.

Even more interesting, is the thing where we can "hold it in" (either version) for hours if need be, but the nearer we get to a toilet, the more pressing the urgency becomes. The nut danger zone is 5 yards from the toilet.

Back to "void" & evacuate", you are talking of the wider usage of the words.

In medical-speak, I'm quite sure "to void" more usually refers to bladder than bowel. They are, I gather, seperate compartments. It's a bit like the recycling bins, very important to use the right aperture when depositing.

Lol. I bet she doesn't know what the "nut" means.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #24086 on: March 21, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »

suggests empty

Void as a verb implies immediacy to me; you wouldn't void something slowly.

Something is either void or it isn't, so if one is voiding one's bowels, one would do so very quickly.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24087 on: March 21, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

suggests empty

Void as a verb implies immediacy to me; you wouldn't void something slowly.

Something is either void or it isn't, so if one is voiding one's bowels, one would do so very quickly.

I have to disagree there.

Why does "void" imply any connection with speed, or rate of void? A nice slow voiding of bowel or bladder is surely possible, & may well be deemed very satisfying.

It's not like Rush Poker, we don't have to do anything fast, or at the same time.

These necessary matters are very satisfying, we should enjoy them, in our own time.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #24088 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »

I'd say void and evacuate are synonyms, although I've just checked the OED and to void can mean to drain away. That certainly doesn't imply any great speed.

In law, a contract may also be voidable.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24089 on: March 21, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »

It appears it is also possible to touch the void.

Pages: 1 ... 1602 1603 1604 1605 [1606] 1607 1608 1609 1610 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: