blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:23:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 1955 1956 [1957] 1958 1959 1960 1961 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609891 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29340 on: March 01, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »

Imagine being a blackbird and waking up on a morning like this when everything is frozen solid. You have to eat within the next hour or so or else you will die.

They would have no problem at all living near me

Grub up all day long during light hours

I might come and live near you.

The older I get, the better I was.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29341 on: March 01, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »

I've just braved the elements and thrown a load of bread pieces off my balcony thanks to your reminder.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #29342 on: March 01, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »

Imagine being a blackbird and waking up on a morning like this when everything is frozen solid. You have to eat within the next hour or so or else you will die.

Crap photo but had two blackbirds feeding today, normally just robins, tits, pigeons, the odd sparrow and cyril the squirrel. Since we started putting the food out a few months ago our dog will now sit at the window for hours just waiting for cyril to make an appearance.

Click to see full-size image.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #29343 on: March 01, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »

Got a few blackbirds and robins about mine & put out food daily, normally they will fight over it and spend more time chasing interlopers away then eating (with others getting in to eat while the chasing is going on). The last 3 mornings they've been lined up on the fence as soon as the door opens like they're all in teams waiting to get fed, too cold to fight Cheesy

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #29344 on: March 02, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »

Got a few blackbirds and robins about mine & put out food daily, normally they will fight over it and spend more time chasing interlopers away then eating (with others getting in to eat while the chasing is going on). The last 3 mornings they've been lined up on the fence as soon as the door opens like they're all in teams waiting to get fed, too cold to fight Cheesy

Today's lineup was treated like a buffet by Mrs Sparrowhawk. Now a load of food out and birds peeking out of bushes trying to build up the courage (or get hungry enough) to risk it....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29345 on: March 02, 2018, 10:18:38 AM »

Today's lineup was treated like a buffet by Mrs Sparrowhawk. Now a load of food out and birds peeking out of bushes trying to build up the courage (or get hungry enough) to risk it....

Oh dear.....

Still, Mrs S has to eat too. I've done my share of hawking for a living and it's not easy.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29346 on: March 02, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »

Can't be much fun being a Robin on days like this Rod.

Love Robins, such cheerful characters.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29347 on: March 02, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »

This extreme cold weather reminds me of another really cold spell about 50 years ago.

We were stopping on a roadside camp near Dinnington in South Yorkshire. I don't know the proper name of the road, but all the Gypsies knew it as Tank Lane on account of the fact that it ran past one of those big water storage tanks that stand high above the ground in areas where the water pressure is low.

Tank Lane was a narrow, 10-cars-a-day B road with a wide flat grass verge that ran along one side for about a quarter of a mile before giving way to fenced fields and woodland. During the sixties, we would stay there for a few weeks almost every winter.

At that time, most families had made the change from horses and  waggons to motorised vehicles (mostly lorries) and caravans.

When the weather was cold, there was always a lot of speculation among the men about how low the temperature would drop overnight. Would it freeze, and if so, how hard?

The reality was, everyone was trying to decide whether or not to drain the water from the cooling system of their lorry.

Nowadays, during a cold spell, no one ever gives a thought to the water sitting in their car radiator, they don't have to, because it will have antifreeze added to it to prevent it from freezing.

Why should you worry about it freezing anyway? Well when water freezes, it expands.

Why does it matter if it expands? It doesn't if the frozen liquid has an out, i.e. somewhere to expand to. Have you ever seen milk freeze when it's left on a doorstep? The frozen milk expands by pushing off the cap of the bottle.

But, if the bottle had a screw on cap the expanding liquid would shatter the bottle. Even if the bottle was made of cast iron, the liquid would shatter it. The force exerted by freezing liquid is incredibly powerful and could easily shatter a lorry engine.

In those days, engines were fitted with their own version of the milk bottle cap. These 'pennies' were press fitted discs of mild steel that were designed to be pushed out by the pressure of of the frozen water, sacrificing themselves for the greater good.

So the big question was, is it worth going to the trouble of draining the water from the system, (and worse, having to refill it the next morning with water from your precious store) or risk leaving it in to freeze and push your pennies out?

It was a real pain in the arse if your pennies were pushed out, you had to buy new ones and often had to remove the engine to replace them.

Sometimes, if it was cold enough, even the pennies couldn't save you.

Why then, I hear you ask, didn't the Gypsies just put antifreeze in their lorry cooling systems like everyone else? Well, there were two reasons. One, antifreeze was relatively expensive and we were money poor, and two, our decrepit old vehicles suffered so many breakdowns where the coolant was lost that adding antifreeze that would only be needed a couple of times a year during an exceptional cold snap would be considered a waste.

Bloody Hell, what a rambly post this is turning into. I don't even know where I'm going with it either, I'm just in reminiscing mode.

More to follow. (It's my diary so there's no point in protesting)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:28:32 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29348 on: March 02, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »

Don't worry Tom, keep it coming, parts of it were mildly interesting.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29349 on: March 02, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »

Don't worry Tom, keep it coming, parts of it were mildly interesting.

Well if you insist.....

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #29350 on: March 02, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »

Good old core plugs, save a few of my engines when there wasn't any or enough antifreeze in the system.

Glad you're writting again.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29351 on: March 03, 2018, 10:40:33 AM »

I'm willing to wager that the Tank Lane story happened exactly fifty years ago.

x

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29352 on: March 03, 2018, 10:51:57 AM »

I'm willing to wager that the Tank Lane story happened exactly fifty years ago.

x

x

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29353 on: March 03, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »

Good old core plugs

Core Plugs!

Do you know I couldn't think of that term. We always called them pennies.

The Americans call them freeze plugs BTW.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29354 on: March 03, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »

You caught us out this time Ralph. We don't know how it happened but we're all suitably contrite.

Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 1955 1956 [1957] 1958 1959 1960 1961 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: