blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1955 1956 1957 1958 [1959] 1960 1961 1962 1963 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3607521 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29370 on: March 06, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »

So here we are, 50 years ago, on a roadside campsite in South Yorkshire, trying to decide if it's going to be cold enough to warrant draining the water from the cooling system of our lorries.

Uncle Jimmy decided against it, saying he didn't think it would be that cold and that he was sick of fetching water just to waste it. Uncle Charlie hummed and arred for a while and decided not to drain his water either. That just left my dad and my grandad to make a decision.

My dad turned to me and asked solemnly, "What do you think we should do?"

Who, me? I said looking around to see if there was someone standing behind me that I hadn't noticed.

"Yes you. What do you think? Whatever you decide is what we'll do.

I was thrilled, flabbergasted and filled to the brim with equal measure of fear and pride.

It seems like a huge risk to leave that decision to a 10 year old boy but thinking about it now, I realise that he had probably already decided not to drain the water so whichever option I chose, I couldn't do any serious harm.

I considered the options carefully and soon realised that I had to go with draining the system. If I didn't, and I was wrong, we could end up with a broken engine, if I drained it and I was wrong, all we lost was some time and some water.

I announced my decision and my dad nodded gravely.

"Off you go then, you know what to do".

I did know what to do, I'd seen it often enough. I opened old ammunition box where we kept our tools and selected a 3/16AF spanner. (no metric sizes back then)

I crawled under the front of the truck and found the jubilee clip that held the bottom hose to the radiator. The little nut was well used and easy to slacken off. I pulled the hose free and scrambled out quickly before the cold water that cascaded down my arm could reach my chest.

The next morning all three lorries were fine. The frost hadn't been that hard and draining the water had been unnecessary.

Refilling filling the radiator was a nuisance, there was always the possibility of getting an air lock in the system and anyway, water was a precious commodity.

On the plus side, the whole episode drove my confidence, sense of responsibility and feeling of self-worth up several notches. Now I knew I could make important decisions and I knew it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got it wrong. It was a great lesson.

Of course I didn't realise it was a lesson at the time, in fact it didn't dawn on me until many years later and well into adulthood.

When we were kids, we got our education on the fly. We were too busy with our hectic nomadic lives to have a formal education but nevertheless, we learned important stuff.

Recently, I saw a quote that really struck a chord with me.

It's the teacher that makes the difference, not the classroom.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29371 on: March 06, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »

Diet going well then Tom, right?

The diet Tone, sigh.....

I've got to accept that dieting doesn't work for me.

I can go on a diet, and I can lose weight, I've done it loads of times over the years but sooner or later, I just put it back on again.

For my most recent effort to I started at almost 15 stone, quickly got down to below 14 stone and then, as per, the wheels came off.

So, I'm giving up calorie count type dieting. I'm sick of the yoyo effect and it can't be good for me. I need to come at this from a totally different angle.

The exercise thing is no problem I can keep that up indefinitely, I've been taking regular exercise in one form or another for years. It's just the eating I have to get a handle on.

I need to change my attitude to bad food like I did with cigarettes and stop thinking I'm depriving myself of something good.

All suggestions welcome BTW.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29372 on: March 06, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »

While I'm on about food, let me tell you what gets on my tits.

When you buy what is supposed to be a filled cob and instead of cutting it in half and putting the filling in between they leave it whole and just make a slash in the top and poke a bit of ham or whatever in the gap.

Kindly fuck off with that idea.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29373 on: March 06, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »

Father calls for safety railings after Manchester canal death - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43299803

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with putting barriers up to prevent drunken people from falling into the canal.

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #29374 on: March 06, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »

I read something a few years ago where some boffins ran the numbers on people falling into the canal in Manchester and the incidences were far more frequent than anywhere else and that there was likely a serial killer on the loose.

It could also be that Brits just get more pissed and fall in than everyone else but it absolutely terrified me at the time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29375 on: March 06, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Mancunians init?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29376 on: March 06, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »

When you buy what is supposed to be a filled cob and instead of cutting it in half and putting the filling in between they leave it whole and just make a slash in the top and poke a bit of ham or whatever in the gap.

I'm trying to find a pic of one of these.

My searches for cobs and buns are getting everything from hairstyles to horses.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #29377 on: March 06, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »

I've not come across one of these yet! I hope i never do, sounds terrible.

I'm trying to find a pic of one of these.

My searches for cobs and buns are getting everything from hairstyles to horses.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29378 on: March 06, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »

A cob should be cut all the way through so that the filling can be seen from all angles.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29379 on: March 07, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »

So here we are, 50 years ago, on a roadside campsite in South Yorkshire, trying to decide if it's going to be cold enough to warrant draining the water from the cooling system of our lorries.

Uncle Jimmy decided against it, saying he didn't think it would be that cold and that he was sick of fetching water just to waste it. Uncle Charlie hummed and arred for a while and decided not to drain his water either. That just left my dad and my grandad to make a decision.

Who, me? I said looking around to see if there was someone standing behind me that I hadn't noticed.

I was thrilled, flabbergasted and filled to the brim with equal measure of fear and pride.

It seems like a huge risk to leave that decision to a 10 year old boy but thinking about it now, I realise that he had probably already decided not to drain the water so whichever option I chose, I couldn't do any serious harm.

I considered the options carefully and soon realised that I had to go with draining the system. If I didn't, and I was wrong, we could end up with a broken engine, if I drained it and I was wrong, all we lost was some time and some water.

I did know what to do, I'd seen it often enough. I opened old ammunition box where we kept our tools and selected a 3/16AF spanner. (no metric sizes back then)

I crawled under the front of the truck and found the jubilee clip that held the bottom hose to the radiator. The little nut was well used and easy to slacken off. I pulled the hose free and scrambled out quickly before the cold water that cascaded down my arm could reach my chest.

The next morning all three lorries were fine. The frost hadn't been that hard and draining the water had been unnecessary.

Refilling filling the radiator was a nuisance, there was always the possibility of getting an air lock in the system and anyway, water was a precious commodity.

On the plus side, the whole episode drove my confidence, sense of responsibility and feeling of self-worth up several notches. Now I knew I could make important decisions and I knew it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got it wrong. It was a great lesson.

Of course I didn't realise it was a lesson at the time, in fact it didn't dawn on me until many years later and well into adulthood.

When we were kids, we got our education on the fly. We were too busy with our hectic nomadic lives to have a formal education but nevertheless, we learned important stuff.

Cracking post, Tom, you really do write so well. I read posts like that twice or more, the better to absorb & enjoy.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #29380 on: March 07, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »

A cob should be cut all the way through so that the filling can be seen from all angles.

Bacon overdone. No sausage. No ketchup. Seems to be a hole in the top of the cob.

4/10

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29381 on: March 07, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »

The diet Tone, sigh.....

I can go on a diet, and I can lose weight, I've done it loads of times over the years but sooner or later, I just put it back on again.

For my most recent effort to I started at almost 15 stone, quickly got down to below 14 stone and then, as per, the wheels came off.

So, I'm giving up calorie count type dieting. I'm sick of the yoyo effect and it can't be good for me. I need to come at this from a totally different angle.

The exercise thing is no problem I can keep that up indefinitely, I've been taking regular exercise in one form or another for years. It's just the eating I have to get a handle on.

I need to change my attitude to bad food like I did with cigarettes and stop thinking I'm depriving myself of something good.

That would be the blind leading the blind, Tom.

By a piece of spooky timing, I had an appointment with my dietician yesterday, as part of my rehab programme. WTF is the world coming to when I need a "dietician"?

Anyway, when time permits, I'll pass on the advice she gave me as to this non-stop yoyo weight gain & loss.

Or, we could ignore her, & just be sensible. Because, really, that's what she advocated. Stop eating to excess, practice moderation in all things & you'll be fitter & healthier. 

Get away. Who'd have thought?

It reminded me of, as far as I can recall, my only visit to a GP in 50 years of adulthood, until of course last year.

I was around 30 & suffering from repeated & debilitating migraines. Really, they were THE most terrible experiences. Sickness, severe pain, having to lay in a darkened room as the glare of daylight was so painful.  Never had a day's sick leave or been to a quack, so I poll up to the Doctor & explain the symptoms, thinking he would examine the problem with some care, as I was ultra low-maintenance in the illness & visiting GP surgeries department.

He says "do you worry a lot?"

"Yes" I reply.

"Well there's the problem. Stop worrying & you'll be fine"

I was so disgusted with his stupid advice I snap stood up & walked out.

I mean yes, it's common sense, just as avoiding a yoyo weight profile is common sense.

It's not that easy though, is it? If we worry, we worry, we can't ever stop ourselves can we? It's how we, as individuals, are made.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29382 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »

The diet Tone, sigh.....

That would be the blind leading the blind, Tom.

By a piece of spooky timing, I had an appointment with my dietician yesterday, as part of my rehab programme. WTF is the world coming to when I need a "dietician"?

Anyway, when time permits, I'll pass on the advice she gave me as to this non-stop yoyo weight gain & loss.

Or, we could ignore her, & just be sensible. Because, really, that's what she advocated. Stop eating to excess, practice moderation in all things & you'll be fitter & healthier. 

Get away. Who'd have thought?

It reminded me of, as far as I can recall, my only visit to a GP in 50 years of adulthood, until of course last year.

I was around 30 & suffering from repeated & debilitating migraines. Really, they were THE most terrible experiences. Sickness, severe pain, having to lay in a darkened room as the glare of daylight was so painful.  Never had a day's sick leave or been to a quack, so I poll up to the Doctor & explain the symptoms, thinking he would examine the problem with some care, as I was ultra low-maintenance in the illness & visiting GP surgeries department.

He says "do you worry a lot?"

"Yes" I reply.

"Well there's the problem. Stop worrying & you'll be fine"

I was so disgusted with his stupid advice I snap stood up & walked out.

I mean yes, it's common sense, just as avoiding a yoyo weight profile is common sense.

It's not that easy though, is it? If we worry, we worry, we can't ever stop ourselves can we? It's how we, as individuals, are made.

I worry, I'm a worrier, but these days I try to worry in a constructive way because apparently you don't have to worry about constructive worrying.

I'm also trying to become more self-deprecating but I'm crap at it.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29383 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »

Cracking post, Tom, you really do write so well. I read posts like that twice or more, the better to absorb & enjoy.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #29384 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:41 AM »

Core plugs !
We had core plugs in the block to allow water to expand as ice
They were buggers to refit n keep in if I remember ?
Do they still exist ?
Pages: 1 ... 1955 1956 1957 1958 [1959] 1960 1961 1962 1963 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: