blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272573 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2127 2128 2129 2130 [2131] 2132 2133 2134 2135 ... 2341 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3603265 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31950 on: November 20, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »

Are alloy wheels worth anything as scrap Red? I've ended up with two buckled wheels,  one 18" one 17", both BMW originals if it makes a difference. If not I'll add them to the next trip to the tip pile.

How about Lead Acid batteries? I have 6 or 7 currently. {insert punchline here}

~£40 depending on size.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #31951 on: November 21, 2019, 10:38:42 AM »

Are alloy wheels worth anything as scrap Red? I've ended up with two buckled wheels,  one 18" one 17", both BMW originals if it makes a difference. If not I'll add them to the next trip to the tip pile.

~£40 depending on size.

each?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31952 on: November 21, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »

~£40 depending on size.

each?

No. for them all.

It's a rough guess because batteries vary in size so much.

I imagine batteries will be about £500 per ton. Call that £400 per ton because you have a small amount and you wont be seen as a regular or savvy supplier.

6 average batteries = around a hundredweight and a half or 75kg.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31953 on: November 21, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »

Tom,

Battery disposal suddenly reminded me of H J Enthoven in Darley Dale. Did you ever go there?

Thry made a living buying used vehicle batteries & recycling them.

It was weird that such a toxic process could take place in, arguably, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I often went there on business, & it was pretty scary.

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember that eventually they got in trouble, as battery acid &/or lead was seeping into the ground & they kept finding poisoned rabbits. The land was contaminated for miles around, as their factory was atop a bit of a hill.

Essentially, I suppose, they recycled lead, maybe still do.

They kept a beautifully maintained fleet of green lorries, but oddly I can't find a single photo of one now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:32:48 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31954 on: November 21, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Been thinking the pun content of the diary needed amped up recently, although I'm sure there will be some resistance.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #31955 on: November 21, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Been thinking the pun content of the diary needed amped up recently, although I'm sure there will be some resistance.

Glad to spark something

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31956 on: November 21, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Glad to spark something

It's alright fuse, I can't think of one.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31957 on: November 21, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Glad to spark something

That's because Rod distilled them all into one.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31958 on: November 21, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »

Tom,

Battery disposal suddenly reminded me of H J Enthoven in Darley Dale. Did you ever go there?

It was weird that such a toxic process could take place in, arguably, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember that eventually they got in trouble, as battery acid &/or lead was seeping into the ground & they kept finding poisoned rabbits. The land was contaminated for miles around, as their factory was atop a bit of a hill.

They kept a beautifully maintained fleet of green lorries, but oddly I can't find a single photo of one now.

I didn't use Enthoven's because you had to have an account with them and you got paid by cheque.

I used Johnny Bullen's in Grantham. (later to become Lincolnshire Processed Metals).

Johnny was an old school rogue, an 'honest criminal' if you will. Everyone knew him, his word was as good as a page full of writing and he paid you in pound notes. (Literally. If you drew £200 from Bullens you needed a sack to put the money in, it looked like you had robbed a bank).

Johnny had a tiny yard but processed more ferrous, non ferrous and rags than anyone around. He employed a veritable army of down-and-outs to cart stuff around and keep things moving. When you drew into the yard they would descend on your lorry like a plague of locusts and everything would be unloaded, weighed in and stored before you could get your fag lit.

The only drawback was the yard closed for the day when the pubs opened at noon and the entire workforce left en masse.

I can't find anything about him online but he was in his 60's when I was 16.

He was a big dog man BTW, owned a few decent greyhounds by all accounts.

Thanks for the prompt. I have great memories of weighing in at Bullens but I haven't thought of him for ages.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31959 on: November 21, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Glad to spark something

Yeah, he's like lightning Rod.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31960 on: November 21, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Glad to spark something

That's why I always get mine insulate.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31961 on: November 21, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Glad to spark something

I don't know wire bother.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #31962 on: November 21, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Glad to spark something

I sometimes wonder watt it’s all about.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31963 on: November 21, 2019, 03:04:20 PM »

Ohm
y Cheesy

Glad to spark something

I sometimes wonder watt it’s all about.

Laugh till it Hertz.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31964 on: November 21, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »

Tom,

Is the old Firth Rixson place still in business ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Pages: 1 ... 2127 2128 2129 2130 [2131] 2132 2133 2134 2135 ... 2341 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: