blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:48:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2181 2182 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 2188 2189 ... 2341 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3603016 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32760 on: September 26, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »

Or sometimes we had rice pudding. (My mam's rice pudding had about 8 million calories per bowl)

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32761 on: September 26, 2020, 11:30:51 AM »

I just used to go into the butchers and get whatever was cheapest.  I had a bad experience with kidneys so I used to dodge them.  We didn't have much when I was younger so I was already pretty well drilled.  I still do it now with beef, mostly just buying stewing steak or braising steak, and rarely buy steaks of any kind for grilling. 

I have moved on with chicken and get the decent free range chickens as they taste a lot better, but they do two meals anyway.
 Chicken thighs and drumsticks are the tastiest bits and are still the cheapest.  I can't say I buy much belly pork either, as it has gone a bit upmarket and it has so much fat on it.  Obviously going to have it for a treat every so often, but not nearly as much as I used to.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #32762 on: September 26, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »

Mum was an expert as were most in those days about the best cheapest cuts of meat especially beef and her treasure was a bit of skirt for pies or casseroles. The best bit of meat on a cow she used to say.

I still have memories like that and If I ask the butcher for skirt and he has some a big smile appears on my face.

The only Supermarket to cut up their meat themselves these days is Morrisons, so I ask in there. All the others have it come in already cut to a certain extent.

She also liked tripe, which had to be honeycomb, but that wasn't for me.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32763 on: September 26, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »

I just used to go into the butchers and get whatever was cheapest.  I had a bad experience with kidneys so I used to dodge them.  We didn't have much when I was younger so I was already pretty well drilled.  I still do it now with beef, mostly just buying stewing steak or braising steak, and rarely buy steaks of any kind for grilling. 

I have moved on with chicken and get the decent free range chickens as they taste a lot better, but they do two meals anyway.
 Chicken thighs and drumsticks are the tastiest bits and are still the cheapest.  I can't say I buy much belly pork either, as it has gone a bit upmarket and it has so much fat on it.  Obviously going to have it for a treat every so often, but not nearly as much as I used to.

I love a bit of belly pork but as you say it's posh food with a posh price-tag these days. There is the fat to consider too but if you only have it once in a while, done in the oven with some roasties and cooked slowly until everything is crispy I'm sure God will turn a blind eye.

We used to have lamb chops because you could buy a bag full for next to nothing. We can't afford them now.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32764 on: September 26, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »

I'm with Trump on this one.

As you might guess, I am a regular peruser of internet sales and auction sites like Auto Trader, eBay & Gumtree.

As you also might guess, these sites are awash with leg-lifters, hornswagglers and scam artists who, once contact has been made will bombard you crap calls, send you fake emails, or sell your number to telesales listers.

For that reason I keep an old phone with a pay-as-you-go number and a disposable email address.

This phone is usually my previous phone when I've upgraded so at the moment it's a Galaxy S5.

My problem is that Gumtree have pop up ads amongst their listings which can't be blocked. For some reason one of these fills the entire screen and locks the phone up. the only way to get rid of it is to re-start the phone.

The ad?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:14:19 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32765 on: September 26, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »

When it comes to traditional meat dishes cooked properly, Ralph is your man.

I wish Covid would hurry up and fek off so that he can invite me round for dinner.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32766 on: September 26, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »

I love a bit of belly pork but as you say it's posh food with a posh price-tag these days. There is the fat to consider too but if you only have it once in a while, done in the oven with some roasties and cooked slowly until everything is crispy I'm sure God will turn a blind eye.

We used to have lamb chops because you could buy a bag full for next to nothing. We can't afford them now.

True that on belly pork.   Probably best it got expensive in the circumstances.  I can't resist crackling.

Weren't pork chops always cheaper?  I prefer lamb obv, but the price is horrific now.  I don't understand the economics of lamb, as it is pricey but sheep farmers are always on about how they can't make money.  Seems inconsistent, but I don't know why.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32767 on: September 26, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »

True that on belly pork.   Probably best it got expensive in the circumstances.  I can't resist crackling.

Weren't pork chops always cheaper?
  I prefer lamb obv, but the price is horrific now.  I don't understand the economics of lamb, as it is pricey but sheep farmers are always on about how they can't make money.  Seems inconsistent, but I don't know why.

I don't know if pork chops were cheaper but we were always having lamb chops and I'm quite sure we wouldn't have if they had been expensive.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/millions-sheep-wales-welsh-lamb-7591356

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #32768 on: September 27, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »

Sunday tea was beef sandwiches with home made pickles followed by strawberry jelly with evaporated milk.

We had similar mate often bread n butter tinned peaches / pears with evaporated milk in which we dipped the bread in ,maybe a slice of home made fruit or Victoria sponge cake ,only maybe mind not guaranteed
Then we all had a bath on a rota in the same water ,me plus 2 sisters then n hair wash  ,rinsed with scummy bath water poured on with an old Tupperware jug / container
the radio would play the top 40? Then sing something simple
We would have hair brushed / combed , checked for head lice with that steel comb , nails trimmed , finally a drop of warm olive oil in our ears  😂😂never on salad 🥗 and in autumn winter we dried our hair if front of the fire
No central heating but my bedroom wall was otherside of the fireplace so it was warmer than my sisters
The good old days
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #32769 on: September 27, 2020, 12:51:12 PM »

Mum was an expert as were most in those days about the best cheapest cuts of meat especially beef and her treasure was a bit of skirt for pies or casseroles. The best bit of meat on a cow she used to say.

I still have memories like that and If I ask the butcher for skirt and he has some a big smile appears on my face.

The only Supermarket to cut up their meat themselves these days is Morrisons, so I ask in there. All the others have it come in already cut to a certain extent.

She also liked tripe, which had to be honeycomb, but that wasn't for me.

Tinned marks and spencer mince made into a pastry bottom n top pie was one of my favourites made by mum ,with spuds n veg grown on two allotments by my dad
Denise’s mum still uses it today

Tubes in liver was the worst 🤢🤢🤮🤮 I still like lambs liver today mind
In kidneys the chewy white bits took some swallowing I can tell you
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32770 on: September 27, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

Ahhh... Sing Something Simple with the Cliff Adams Singers.

That and the warm olive oil brought it all rushing back.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32771 on: September 27, 2020, 07:11:26 PM »

Ah we had sing something simple, my mum used to make us listen to that and she'd sing along to that and Songs of Praise and we'd be off to listen to the top 40 (think it was the top 20 when I was young?).  "What is that racket you are listening to?" she'd say completely oblivious to her own singing voice. 

Annie Nightingale was on after the top 40?

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #32772 on: September 27, 2020, 07:51:38 PM »

Ah we had sing something simple, my mum used to make us listen to that and she'd sing along to that and Songs of Praise and we'd be off to listen to the top 40 (think it was the top 20 when I was young?).  "What is that racket you are listening to?" she'd say completely oblivious to her own singing voice. 

Every now n again I’m at home for songs of praise on Sunday ,my mums favourite programme bless her ,I can just about watch it now n keep my eyes dry

Got sent to bed n listen to Radio Luxembourg under the covers so in n out of tune it was ridic
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32773 on: September 27, 2020, 09:57:16 PM »

Every now n again I’m at home for songs of praise on Sunday ,my mums favourite programme bless her ,I can just about watch it now n keep my eyes dry

Got sent to bed n listen to Radio Luxembourg under the covers so in n out of tune it was ridic

My eyes almost rolled out of my head when The World at War or All Our Yesterdays came on. I'd love it now.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32774 on: September 28, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »

Ah we had sing something simple, my mum used to make us listen to that and she'd sing along to that and Songs of Praise and we'd be off to listen to the top 40 (think it was the top 20 when I was young?).  "What is that racket you are listening to?" she'd say completely oblivious to her own singing voice.  

That suddenly reminds me that I'd be tucked under the bed covers secretly listening to Radio Luxembourg 208, where the week's most popular show was Teen & Twenty Disc Club, hosted by.... Jimmy Saville.

* shudder *

Click to see full-size image.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:55:16 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 2181 2182 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 2188 2189 ... 2341 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: