blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:10:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 2157 2158 [2159] 2160 2161 2162 2163 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587183 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32370 on: January 21, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »

First and foremost you had to know your vehicle. Half choke or full, how many pumps of the accelerator? Give it one go knowing it wouldn't start first turn, wait for ten seconds and then try again, this time it would fire but you had to "Catch" it.

Ha, what memories, especially when we flooded the carb & had to try & "catch it" by carefully fettling the throttle without overdoing it & having to start all over again. Eventuslly one cylinder would catch, then you had to carefully keep that one going whilst tempting the others to chime in. Oh what joy when it fired on all cylinders.

And in excellent timing, my battery went flat yesterday & would not turn the engine sufficiently to fire it up.

So I had to order a battery charger from Amazon, which is due to arrive today.

I spent 5 minutes learning how to open the bonnet - pull the bonnet catch TWICE you fool - then, to my amazement I could not find the battery. Which I eventually discovered was in the chuffing boot.

Next I had to learn where the negative & positive terminals were. Not the ones on the battery - the manual said DO NOT USE THOSE TO CHARGE THE BATTERY - but via a terminal under the bonnet, & a second really weird terminal which is not remotely adjacent. It's just like a metal stud protruding from the chassis. All very weird.

God knows what obstacles will arise when the battery charger arrives today.

Click to see full-size image.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:30:36 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #32371 on: January 21, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »

First and foremost you had to know your vehicle. Half choke or full, how many pumps of the accelerator? Give it one go knowing it wouldn't start first turn, wait for ten seconds and then try again, this time it would fire but you had to "Catch" it.

My first car was a Spitfire bought in '87. The needles were that worn and therefore ran that rich (it did 15mpg on a good day) that the only way to start it was to partially unscrew the SU body and simulatenously turn the key whilst lifting the carb body to get enough air into it that it would catch.

Great days.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #32372 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:03 PM »

Nice one Tom, V4 gas guzzler but without the speed  Smiley
Tikay, hope the battery charging works, but modern batteries aren't like the old type. Quite often once flat that's the end of em.
Also if your car has that stupid stop/start nonsense expect to pay about £250 for a battery.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32373 on: January 21, 2020, 01:31:30 PM »

Tikay, hope the battery charging works, but modern batteries aren't like the old type. Quite often once flat that's the end of em.
Also if your car has that stupid stop/start nonsense expect to pay about £250 for a battery.

My daughter has a stop start motor. It does my head in if I have to drive it, I keep thinking I've stalled.

My Bro Joe has one too, he switches it off but it re-sets to the default 'on' position when he parks up.

He's is currently in the process of developing a device that will automatically press the stop-start disable button every time he starts the car.

Judging from his explanation of how it works, I think it will look something like Professor Farnsworth's Fing-Longer.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #32374 on: January 21, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »

My first car was a 1963 Mini 859, which also had the battery in the boot. No starting handle, but it was very easy to bump start. I was given a nearly new battery  by my uncle, which had come out of a Cortina and had square bolt-through posts. Well, replacing the earth strap was easy, but the other side was more complex so I just battered the round connector onto the rectangular post. Which was generally fine, but occasionally it would come adrift, at which stage I would leap out of the car, rush to the boot and hammer it back on. This caused much amusement for those who were stuck behind me.

I’m curious.
Why would your brother want to turn off the stop-start system?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32375 on: January 21, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »

Marv.

Yes, my car has the "stop start" thing, it turns itself off at traffic lights etc then turns back on when I touch the accelerator.

£250 for a battery? FML.

Well I'll know soon enough. The charger has arrived and I've got it all connected up & there are charging lights flashing & all sorts of LED indicators flashing on & off. 

Fingers crossed.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32376 on: January 21, 2020, 03:29:43 PM »

My daughter has a stop start motor. It does my head in if I have to drive it, I keep thinking I've stalled.

My Bro Joe has one too, he switches it off but it re-sets to the default 'on' position when he parks up.

He's is currently in the process of developing a device that will automatically press the stop-start disable button every time he starts the car.

Judging from his explanation of how it works, I think it will look something like Professor Farnsworth's Fing-Longer.

Depending on the car he should be able to code out stop/start using something like Carista ( https://caristaapp.com/ ) or OBD11 (https://obdeleven.com/en/home/10-obdeleven-device-0725423005103.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=4)

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32377 on: January 21, 2020, 04:16:51 PM »

Depending on the car he should be able to code out stop/start using something like Carista ( https://caristaapp.com/ ) or OBD11 (https://obdeleven.com/en/home/10-obdeleven-device-0725423005103.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=4)

Yes Andrew. I've been looking at these. I bet you can use them to override all sorts of "Limp Mode" situations too.

There is nothing worse than being forced to drive home at 30mph because your engine management system thinks your particulate filter is blocked, or its getting duff information from your crank sensor.

Bring back grease nipples and oily rags I say.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32378 on: January 21, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »

I just battered the round connector onto the rectangular post. Which was generally fine, but occasionally it would come adrift, at which stage I would leap out of the car, rush to the boot and hammer it back on. This caused much amusement for those who were stuck behind me.

I used to use the batter it on method too Dave, then it dawned on me that you could remove the pinch-bolt from the round connector, prise the connector open about half an inch and then push the pinch-bolt through just one of the holes from inside to out. Then pass the end of the bolt through the hole in the square terminal and tighten.

I have no idea if that explanation makes any sense.

By doing away with one side of the round connector, you are effectively turning this..

....into this.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:48:09 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32379 on: January 21, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »

I’m curious.

I suppose it's an age thing Dave but I just feel uncomfortable when my engine keeps stopping. (I guess my bro feels the same)

Old school mechanics would never buy a motor that had been doing stop-start work. You stop the engine and the oil runs back into the sump, then you start it again and the oil pump pushes it around the crank, pistons, bearings etc again, but for a second or so, your engine is running dry, metal to metal.

Do that a 30 or 40 times a day for a couple of years and your engine would be knackered with maybe less than 10k on the clock.

Give me something with 100k of motorway miles any day.

Some people must share my dislike of stop start, otherwise it wouldn't have an "Off" button.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #32380 on: January 21, 2020, 06:22:57 PM »

I just battered the round connector onto the rectangular post. Which was generally fine, but occasionally it would come adrift, at which stage I would leap out of the car, rush to the boot and hammer it back on. This caused much amusement for those who were stuck behind me.

I used to use the batter it on method too Dave, then it dawned on me that you could remove the pinch-bolt from the round connector, prise the connector open about half an inch and then push the pinch-bolt through just one of the holes from inside to out. Then pass the end of the bolt through the hole in the square terminal and tighten.

I have no idea if that explanation makes any sense.

By doing away with one side of the round connector, you are effectively turning this..

....into this.

Now you tell me! 45 years too late.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #32381 on: January 22, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »

My first car was a 1963 Mini 859, which also had the battery in the boot. No starting handle, but it was very easy to bump start. I was given a nearly new battery  by my uncle, which had come out of a Cortina and had square bolt-through posts. Well, replacing the earth strap was easy, but the other side was more complex so I just battered the round connector onto the rectangular post. Which was generally fine, but occasionally it would come adrift, at which stage I would leap out of the car, rush to the boot and hammer it back on. This caused much amusement for those who were stuck behind me.

I’m curious.

Sfl 412 my first car also a mini 1963 vintage
Purchased off mum n dads neighbour - who was baker Perkins film maker !
Of course I thrashed the bollocks off  it n blew it up within 2-3 weeks
Bought another mini at bourne car auctions n swapped the engines over stopped buying them n started nicking them after that for tyres. engines .parts that’s also another story

It lasted 2-3 years until a metal bricklayers spirit level in the boot rolled around n shorted the battery out blowing it up
If you drove it fast enough ,spun the steering wheel pulling the handbrake on it would complete a brilliant donut type u turn
2-3 of us had minis we thought we were the Italian job Werrington branch - reality was we were a bunch of dickheads in cars
Although tiny inside if your girlfriend sat on the back seat n u tilted the passenger seat up you could kneel on the floor n perform a wide variety of sexual acts !- maybe a bit TMI for some buy hey ho the heady days of the 1970s .i can’t drive the A15 Lincoln road Werrington bypass without being reminded of nights down there as it was being built .lol
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:53:48 AM by tonytats » Logged
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32382 on: January 22, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »

Sexual acts in cars?

These days I definitely need a starting handle.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #32383 on: January 22, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »

My first car was a 1963 Mini 859, which also had the battery in the boot. No starting handle, but it was very easy to bump start. I was given a nearly new battery  by my uncle, which had come out of a Cortina and had square bolt-through posts. Well, replacing the earth strap was easy, but the other side was more complex so I just battered the round connector onto the rectangular post. Which was generally fine, but occasionally it would come adrift, at which stage I would leap out of the car, rush to the boot and hammer it back on. This caused much amusement for those who were stuck behind me.

I’m curious.

Sfl 412 my first car also a mini 1963 vintage
Purchased off mum n dads neighbour - who was baker Perkins film maker !
Of course I thrashed the bollocks off  it n blew it up within 2-3 weeks
Bought another mini at bourne car auctions n swapped the engines over stopped buying them n started nicking them after that for tyres. engines .parts that’s also another story

It lasted 2-3 years until a metal bricklayers spirit level in the boot rolled around n shorted the battery out blowing it up
If you drove it fast enough ,spun the steering wheel pulling the handbrake on it would complete a brilliant donut type u turn
2-3 of us had minis we thought we were the Italian job Werrington branch - reality was we were a bunch of dickheads in cars
Although tiny inside if your girlfriend sat on the back seat n u tilted the passenger seat up you could kneel on the floor n perform a wide variety of sexual acts !- maybe a bit TMI for some buy hey ho the heady days of the 1970s .i can’t drive the A15 Lincoln road Werrington bypass without being reminded of nights down there as it was being built .lol

Mine had a tendency to fill up with water due to the design fault of the floor pan being assembled the wrong way round. I used to meet my then girlfriend at lunchtimes and would often get back to work with damp patches on the knees of my suit trousers  Wink

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32384 on: January 23, 2020, 09:55:49 AM »

Nice one Tom, V4 gas guzzler but without the speed  Smiley

Marv.

Yes, my car has the "stop start" thing, it turns itself off at traffic lights etc then turns back on when I touch the accelerator.

£250 for a battery? FML.

Well I'll know soon enough. The charger has arrived and I've got it all connected up & there are charging lights flashing & all sorts of LED indicators flashing on & off.  

Fingers crossed.

Sit rep on batt?

Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 2157 2158 [2159] 2160 2161 2162 2163 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: